Jon Jones vs. Alistair Overeem - How do you see it going?

Jones would get wrecked by most HWs let alone Reem. He is so much better at everything it’s not even funny. He would walk him down and coma him with one beautiful punch.

Jones will never go to hw all he does is talk

Overeem would be a much tougher match up then Ngannou for Jones. Jon would rag doll Ngannou worse then Stipe did, would literally just siphon through him. However, Overeem has seen it all in the octagon at this point and his weakness similar to Barboza is fighting inside the pocket (boxing defense really). Jon’s boxing is probably the weakest part of his game. He doesn’t use his 84 inch reach like a pro boxer would, he uses them to frame to set up other strikes. Jon is not the type of guy to spam the jab, look for quick 1-2’s and try to catch opponents with hooks/uppercuts like “traditional boxers” or most people’s striking style. None of his tricky strikes would work on Overeem. I imagine when they used to go at it, Jon would give him trouble in the wrestling department whereas Overeem gave him more trouble in the striking department. All fights start standing up and I think Jon’s wrestling is on the overrated side to just wrestlefuck the reem. His top game is phenomenal, but his takedown entries leave a lot to be desired. Although a lot of people consider him an athletic freak, Jon doesn’t have the best blast double like a GSP. IMO, he does his best work from the clinch with trips/throws. After all, he is a Greco guy, not a freestyle guy and that has gotten him to literal GOAT status so hmm... I would love to see Jon and Overeem fight in the clinch. Overeem has the nastiest knees from the clinch I have seen in any weight class, but Jon is Fedor esque in the clinch and is a wizard utilizing his insane frame. Kinda crazy how I never considered this match up until this thread, thanks for making this thread and planting this seed lol. Also, I 100% believe in those rumors about Reem getting the better of Jon at Jackson’s. It was probably bad for Jon’s ego to have a bigger guy who gets the better of him consistently and that camp is a legitimate cult so...

I personally think Overeem would be the first person to definitively beat Jon and that is a potential fight in 1-2 years if Jon doesn’t get in trouble and Overeem keeps winning lol. Jon’s inability to counterpunch and Overeems size plus MMA skills would seriously make Overeem a live dog.

I've always thought that Overeem is an awful matchup for Jones, better striker, and very competitive grappling, and the only way to beat Reem is by KO and Jones has zero power.

Reem generally isn't vunerable to kicks/knees either which is where what finishing ability Jones has generally comes from.

Look, Overeem has not lost over 15 years if you dont count finishes. Last time he lost a decision was in 2005 against Noguiera (yeah, had to look it up) I really doubt Jones can finish the Reem, and I also really doubt he can hang in there without getting finished for 25 minutes.

So for me, its a pretty easy fight for Overeem.

You could also look at the statistics and say: Overeem has never won a 5 round decission (did come close lately though, but no cigar). Also he's only won 4 decissions in total the last 10 years. Jones has won 8 5-round decissions - so if he doesn't get ko'ed by Reem - well, you catch my drift.

You could also look at the statistics and say: Overeem has never won a 5 round decission (did come close lately though, but no cigar). Also he's only won 4 decissions in total the last 10 years. Jones has won 8 5-round decissions - so if he doesn't get ko'ed by Reem - well, you catch my drift.

Not really. What I meant is that Overeem pretty much only loses by KO or wins the fight. I dont see how Jones can get a finish and I dont see how he can survive 25 minutes of HW power. If Jones is able to survive, he defenitely has a chance at the decision,but as you see in the Reems stats, not many of his fights go the distance.

As others are saying, Reem is a touch matchup for Jon. In-fact, I’d even say he’s Jon’s toughest match-up in the HW division. I can see paths to victory against all the other guys at HW, but Reem? That’s a tough one. He’s too big and good for Jon to overpower in the clinch and to get his takedowns, and he’s a far better striker. Reem only tends to loss to guys that have KO power because his chin sucks. Jon isn’t exactly known for his knockout power.

Any version of HW Overeem is a terrible matchup for Jones.

Not really. What I meant is that Overeem pretty much only loses by KO or wins the fight. I dont see how Jones can get a finish and I dont see how he can survive 25 minutes of HW power. If Jones is able to survive, he defenitely has a chance at the decision,but as you see in the Reems stats, not many of his fights go the distance.

Maybe Reem would have lost a few decissions, had he not lost all those fights by stoppage? I.e. he was well on his way of losing vs Blaydes.

But sure, Overeem only loses by stoppage, statistically - but then again, statistically, Jones doesn't lose at all. What's probably more important is that Overeem has only once been out of the 3rd round. I like Jones' chances if he can avoid getting finished early.

10 years ago Overeem. 5 years ago who knows. Today, probably Jones.

Overeem is incredibly skilled and crafty but he’s old. Jones is pretty skilled and crafty and he isn’t out of his prime

If overeem still had his strength he would bully Jones in the clinch with knees. He isn't that man anymore though, and I think Jones his more effective in out fighting. Overeem still has that power though...but also that chin of course. Intriguing matchup! Seeing as overeem is kind of a gatekeeper nowadays anyway, this could be the perfect for Jones to step into hw. Hope overeem smokes his ass and sends him right back

Maybe Reem would have lost a few decissions, had he not lost all those fights by stoppage? I.e. he was well on his way of losing vs Blaydes.

But sure, Overeem only loses by stoppage, statistically - but then again, statistically, Jones doesn't lose at all. What's probably more important is that Overeem has only once been out of the 3rd round. I like Jones' chances if he can avoid getting finished early.

Well,it will be an interesting fight for sure:)

Jon is a bum, hes a has been and a never was and his resume is totally filled with past their prime middleweights and lhw cans. He aint shit without his picos and loses against every opponent hes matched up against.

<JonesLaugh>

Finally, they're putting these Jon at HW threads in the right forum

depends on Reems gameplan. If he is aggressive i think his striking would likely take out jon in 2 rounds. He is not at a disadvantage as far as reach and size so Jon can't use his length to keep the opponent off him. If Aleister throws like he did as ubereem, which i think he would knowing jons power was no threat, he would be able to make jon quit like brock did. Jon is a great lhw.

He isn't a HW for a reason. He doesn't have 1 punch KO power now ,and nor would he at HW. While Reem is getting older and has a lot of milage, he doesn't seem to have lost a step as large as most guys do. He hurt Jon is sparring by falling on him, had nothing to do with strikes. Overeem is supposedly a tough guy to spar with as he doesn't take it as easy as some guys do. I just dont see how Jon could win this fight. Reem wouldn't gas too soon if Jon was just trying to stay away from him, and if jon wasn't staying away he would get hit with some strong shots.

I see people saying Jon in the clinch would give him issues, but thats crap. Reem throwing heavy knees and using his MT clinch would be hard for Jon to deal with. Reem doesn't do well in boxing distance but Jon doesn't do boxing distance with out getting hit a lot. He likes to keep the distance to take advantage of his long limbs. That advantage wouldn't be viable vs a guy as big as the Demolition Man. Reem might even catch him with the standing guillotine if he gets close enough.

Last edited:
Yeah Reem delayed the fight between cormier and jones because he injured jon during a warmup session. "UFC president Dana White openly questioned why Jones would be training with 6-foot-4 Overeem in tuning up for a 5-foot-10 wrestler" hehehe He tore his meniscus in his knee apparently after overeem landed on him awkwardly. Sounds more like a freak accident then anything we can draw any conclusions from... Also 2014 overeem was still part ubereem so his strenght mightve still been greater then it is now. Though even without the horse meat people do not seem to enjoy his kicks and knees very much. Think even Stipe said something like "he kicked a lot harder then i expected" and he only got hit with 1 or 2 kicks that m

Back