Social Jon Stewart claims JK Rowling engaged in anti Semitic tropes in Harry Potter

That idiot is now walking back his "antisemitism" accusations against JK Rowling.
What a deuce.

I didn't read it, just watched the movies and read some critique on the major plot lines in the books. Rowling had major creative control over the movies and was executive producer. Since the movies talked about pure-bloods and mudbloods, I assumed it was from the books. Rowling has said she fashioned Voldermort on Hitler and Stalin.

sorry for any mix ups man.....

Last edited:
I didn't read it, just watched the movies and read some critique on the major plot lines in the books. Rowling had major creative control over the movies and was executive producer. Since the movies talked about pure-bloods and mudbloods, I assumed it was from the books. Rowling has said she fashioned Voldermort on Hitler and Stalin.
Rowling has said a lot of shit after the fact for various reasons. That statement is hard to interpret because her next antagonist in the series, and an influence on Voldemort in the stories (I think), is just straight up wizard Hitler.

So I do believe Voldemort was based on Hitler, but he's got a lot more depth, nuance, and inspiration than just that. Reading it as an allegory for race is just incorrect, it's a stand in for any excuse a dominant in-group differentiates themselves from an out-group for the sake of control.

That idiot is now walking back his "antisemitism" accusations against JK Rowling.
What a deuce.
well you know.... it turns out it was projection with no evidence. its really common among the ct nuts.
I don't think the point he was making was that she's racist or has anything against Jews. It's about cultural representation of Jews and lingering biases or stereotypes. There's a more nuanced conversation there, he's never been a cancel culture SJW and it's only other people accusing him of that.

I don't think the point he was making was that she's racist or has anything against Jews. It's about cultural representation of Jews and lingering biases or stereotypes. There's a more nuanced conversation there, he's never been a cancel culture SJW and it's only other people accusing him of that.

i think i understand that but why even see that connection? i watched every movie several times and read all the books just like anyone else. i dont think its even decent to make these kinds of accusations. it reveals more about the person making them than anything..... not just that they might be antisemitic but also they might be obsessed with finding those connections in other peoples works and or projecting that onto the authors after their brain makes the connection. i think its poison personally.

hey man. before i do a deep dive on this because now i just HAVE to know. are you sure you have not had an interaction with me about the catholic church and a photo another poster posted about snake shaped buildings being secretly symbolic and you defended that notion? i have you pegged as that guy ever since then and would hate to be wrong about that.......

do you have no memory of that really? the reason im asking again is because a quick search pulls up lost of posts by you in similar threads......

I have talked with you about the Catholic church and mentioned I was an ex Catholic but I have no idea what this snake theory you are talking about is and who came up with it.

I do recall a thread where someone posted a picture taken at the UN or with the Pope with the background showing some exotic looking sculpture with human being rising up. But there was nothing snake like about the sculpture.

I have talked with you about the Catholic church and mentioned I was an ex Catholic but I have no idea what this snake theory you are talking about is and who came up with it.

I do recall a thread where someone posted a picture taken at the UN or with the Pope with the background showing some exotic looking sculpture with human being rising up. But there was nothing snake like about the sculpture.

my memory must be playing tricks on me. ive always remembered that poster to be you but i accept your word over my memory.

Last edited:
i think i understand that but why even see that connection? i watched every movie several times and read all the books just like anyone else. i dont think its even decent to make these kinds of accusations. it reveals more about the person making them than anything..... not just that they might be antisemitic but also they might be obsessed with finding those connections in other peoples works and or projecting that onto the authors after their brain makes the connection. i think its poison personally.
I know it's a long thread and my posts have been... "dense". But if you haven't, I've gone over why it's worth discussing and how it can be productive, particularly for future writers.

One of the people he was speaking with was harsh and implied a purposeful intent, but it's a podcast and they're trying to be funny. It shouldn't be taken super seriously because in proper context, they aren't being super serious.

I know it's a long thread and my posts have been... "dense". But if you haven't, I've gone over why it's worth discussing and how it can be productive, particularly for future writers.

One of the people he was speaking with was harsh and implied a purposeful intent, but it's a podcast and they're trying to be funny. It shouldn't be taken super seriously because in proper context, they aren't being super serious.

sure..... but people on here are now taking it seriously and i cant get over the fact that slander is so easily entered into among a certain group of people who are almost certainly projecting.

sure..... but people on here are now taking it seriously and i cant get over the fact that slander is so easily entered into among a certain group of people.
People on Sherdog or Twitter?

Rowling has said a lot of shit after the fact for various reasons. That statement is hard to interpret because her next antagonist in the series, and an influence on Voldemort in the stories (I think), is just straight up wizard Hitler.

So I do believe Voldemort was based on Hitler, but he's got a lot more depth, nuance, and inspiration than just that. Reading it as an allegory for race is just incorrect, it's a stand in for any excuse a dominant in-group differentiates themselves from an out-group for the sake of control.

When you hear an allegorical story about a group extolling purity of blood, denigrating mixed blood ancestry and wanting to kill off mixed blood people, don't you immediately think of Nazis, eugenics and racial supremacism? I mean sure it can apply to other group dynamics as well, but most people will first think of the Nazis.

Can a racist trope diverge, ever? I have personally lived most of my life in a very segregated city. I've worked with real skinheads and real neo nazis. I have heard all sorts of racist things in my life and still, I don't know if I have ever heard any of the traditional anti-Semitic racism even one time. Having grown up with old fantasy, I am very used to the idea of skeezy, big nosed, money loving goblins but never in a million years would I have ever connected the trope to Jewish people without being told what it is by a Jewish person.

What does this guy remind you of?

What a deuce.

Watching the interview, I didn't see it as him accusing her of Anti Semitism. He was saying the depiction of the Gringotts Globlins was eerily close to old anti Semitic tropes. I understand why people thought he was accusing her of Anti Semitism, because people thought if he is saying Rowling engaged in Anti Semitic tropes it naturally follows she is Anti Semitic, but this isn't so because he was being nuanced, and people missed the nuance.

I don't think Jon Stewart is the type of person to legitimately take issue with this. But he's not wrong, anti-semetic tropes have been weaved into the fantasy genre since since the early days

Semantics.

Since I am dying of curiosity on what theory and thread you are accusing me of I decided to do a search, but as I don't know what the theory is I had to make a guess on word choice for the search. I typed in "Catholic church snake" in the search bar.

The first search hit - excluding this Stewart/Rowling thread- is this one from 2017. The T.S. in this thread asks people if the catholic church building pictured looks like a serpent.
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/serious-question-for-catholics.3579533/

I said it doesn't look like a serpent, it's just the human phenomena of Pareidolia.
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/serious-question-for-catholics.3579533/page-2

Back