Jones biggest flaw is his terrible boxing.

He looks slow and pillowfisted, nothing has changed. He is barely better than Tito as a boxer.

No, he isn't. You are living in the past. The last time Jones absorbed less than 20sig.strikes in a fight was 10 years ago against Sonnen. In his last fight alone Jones absorbed 116 sig.strikes.

If you don't realize how good his defense is, even during the last fight.. you don't know what you're watching.

You should invest more time and energy into watching fights more closely than notoriously inaccurate stats.

People would be surprised how little this guy is getting hit if they analyzed his fights more closely. Even against Reyes, you can count on two hands how many clean strikes he actually landed.

But MMA fans award a lot of points to hitting air in general.

Last edited:
We know for a fact that Jones have crappy boxing but this is MMA and wrestling is one of the most powerful tool.
Pretty much all MMA fights have very bad boxing. Some have good kickboxing like Izzy, Alex, Gane. Heck even nganou boxing was very bad.
If Gane manage to keep Jones on the feet he wins hands down, but will he be able to keep the fight on the feet...?
No offence mate but you're saying even Ngannou's boxing was very bad like most people would think the opposite but you're 100% right Ngannou compared with even adecent amateur did have bad boxing, maybe it will improve now he has switched over but in the first fight Stipe slipped his punches with ease dunno what happened second fight of course maybe age catching up, morale destroyed when Ngannou sprawled and took his back, sloppiness, who knows but yeah you're right Ngannou does have bad boxing fundamentals. Yeah yeah yeah I know i'm an armchair fan but did train MMA on and off from 30-36 years old and boxing kickboxing here and there in my early 20s but too many injuries negated any chance of me even having an amateur MMA, boxing(which I never trained enough to even contemplate a fight tbh), probably even a white belt BJJ competition but I have trained with decent boxers and even had Jeff Monson at our club a number of years back(dunno why I threw that in there lol) but back on track I can't wait for Jones- Gane I don't think anyone truly can predict what will happen,I mean even if it does happen because we know of Jones history and will he pull out just before o is he just gonna get Gane to the ground every single round and keep him there? I think(in my opinion only) that is what will happen but I would rather Gane knocked him out. Jones is not a very person at all and although I don't wish harm on anyone he is one guy I would not be too concerned about if he got knocked out.

Another thing is The eyepokes, oblique kicks, striing from distance that Jones WILL PROBABLY use at some point giving a 1% chance.

Last edited:
Why box when poke eye does the job

Commit to punching = taking risks, jones don't do that so yeah, eye pokes and knee kicks for the win until the other guy is half blind, half crippled and tired then Jones starts getting close.

His boxing isn't that bad if he tried, he never tries though.

Only serious punch i have seen throw is VS that dude with long hair he sparred & ko'd (didn't even look like a fighter) and Shogun to the body once he was completely gassed, beat up and covering up.

There's no such thing as overextending lol. But yeah Jones boxing could be a lot better. He needs to stop by a legit boxing gym and get some sparring training with high level boxers/coaches.

In a fight it's not hitting pads, it's not about looking textbook perfect. Distance, range, and your opponents movement/footwork make a big difference. This is why the actual boxing techniques in a real fight look different than pad work or textbook perfect technique. You have to "overextend" to connect at specific angles/distant/range and moments in a fight. If you are worried about having perfect technique you will miss the majority of your shots and will be fighting like a robot.

Ever notice the majority of the textbook perfect technique fighters/coaches don't have any punching power or understand how to get KOs? They are mostly point fighters. Coincidence? I think not.

Over extending on punches leaves you super vulnerable to counters and is usually indicative of flawed technique or footwork.
I get it, though... it's a fight and nothing is gonna go how you want it to go.

It really doesn't matter in his case since his greatest gift is existing in all the spheres of MMA at once. To put it bluntly, he is extremely dynamic and changes where fight takes place seamlessly while also never being stuck with something that doesn't work. Also, his retarded range helps for sure.

If you don't realize how good his defense is, even during the last fight.. you don't know what you're watching.

You should invest more time and energy into watching fights more closely than notoriously inaccurate stats.

People would be surprised how little this guy is getting hit if they analyzed his fights more closely. Even against Reyes, you can count on two hands how many clean strikes he actually landed.

But MMA fans award a lot of points to hitting air in general.

I'm sorry, but you lack some basic reading comprehension. I didn't say Jones doesn't have good defense. I quoted and answered to this: "Jones is one of the least hit fighters in MMA history", which was false, and different than just saying Jones has good defense.

I'm sorry, but you lack some basic reading comprehension. I didn't say Jones doesn't have good defense. I quoted and answered to this: "Jones is one of the most least hit fighters in MMA history", which was false, and different than just saying Jones has good defense.
You said I was living in the past. It's clear that my statement was referencing the all time great status of his defensive repertoire.

Which isn't false. It's an objective fact.

Presenting grossly inaccurate stats dont prove anything other than you having questionable analytical integrity.

Because you can count on 2 hands the amount of times Reyes actually landed cleanly.

Last edited:
Jones has terrible boxing he overextends on his punches and his boxing footwork is poor. If Gane can negate the kicks and force. The boxing Jones may struggle
Who writes this stuff, seriously. Jon Jones "terrible" boxing? Terrible? Relative to who, Tyson Fury? You realize who we're talking about, right? One of the most naturally talented fighters to ever walk the earth, who reigned over his division for close to a decade? TKO'd DC is an absolutely beautiful combo? Picture perfect shit.

The only thing you could say is terrible in regards to Jon Jones is his personality.

And maybe his driving . . .

He has never been a good boxer. Does he have a boxing coach or a converted Muay Thai guy to hold boxing mitts for him.

I agree with you TS.

Problem is, Gane also shares the same weakness. His striking threat diminishes significantly when he is in the pocket. I’ve even made threads about this but Gane is a pressure fighter with great jabs, footwork and cardio to stay active for five rounds. He is quick but that does not necessarily mean his hands are too.

He will land some heavy jabs and kicks in this upcoming fight. But I don’t know he will be able to capitalize on them because not only does Jon have great chin, he is a willing evader who won’t just brawl like Tai or JDS.

It really doesn't matter in his case since his greatest gift is existing in all the spheres of MMA at once. To put it bluntly, he is extremely dynamic and changes where fight takes place seamlessly while also never being stuck with something that doesn't work. Also, his retarded range helps for sure.
Nicely put. I don’t know if he’s still got it, but he was once very dynamic, versatile, and could improvise and adjust mid-fight. Very intelligent and tactical.

You said I was living in the past. It's clear that my statement was referencing the all time great status of his defensive repertoire.

Which isn't false. It's an objective fact.

Presenting grossly inaccurate stats dont prove anything other than you having questionable analytical integrity.

Because you can count on 2 hands the amount of times Reyes actually landed cleanly.

I'm sorry, but you are still wrong in saying Jones is "one of the least hit fighters in MMA history". Its just a silly statement to make considering there have been fighters like Khabib or Rumble, for example. And again, there is a clear difference in saying Jones has good or even great striking defense, than saying Jones is "one of the least hit fighters in MMA history". You said what you said, that's not my fault.

If you want, we can start comparing Jones and Rumble by showing gifs and videos of both getting hit clean on the feet in MMA, and you will see the difference I'm talking about.

hqdefault.jpg

Alex_Punch_Jones_578.jpg

toronto-on-september-22-alexander-gustafsson-lands-a-sharp-right-on-jon-jones-in-the-main.jpg

l5mf4.gif

l5nqf.gif

Feel free to start showing Rumble absorbing clean strikes on the feet, and I will continue showing Jones getting hit a lot more.

Crazy how he never developed a decent jab. Oh well, doesn't matter now. He will have to wrestle the shit out of everyone in the HW div
It is crazy, but makes sense when you consider his coaches. For all the accolades they got 10-15 years ago, Jackson and Winklejohn were more about strategy and working to their fighter's strengths than actually drilling useful fundamentals. That's why Condit never developed his wrestling, Holly is still whiffing air punches, and dudes like GSP, Diego, and Rashad got out of there and found teams that gave them actual personalized attention and drilled basics (like TriStar for GSP).

This may be a stretch, but Jones is a bit like Ferguson in this respect - incredible fluidity and unorthodoxy that relies on youthful energy and speed - it doesn't age well and ultimately exposes a lack of fundamentals underneath.

Gane dominated Ngannou on the feet so he turned Ngannou into a wrestler

Everybody said before gane's bout against volkov that volkov will humiliate gane in boxing and gane totally dominated volkov

I dont think Jones will try to strike with Gane, he might just wrestle but who knows

Back