Jorge Masvidal is not working on his jiu-jitsu at all

Jorge training BJJ in preparation for Maia would be as dumb as Maia trying to sharpen his boxing for Masvidal.

Masvidal can train all the BJJ in his life and his next one and still won't be able to stop Maia from finishing him if the fight goes to the ground. It won't matter. All the jitz training in the world can't save Masvidal at this point.
That's not true. Maia is not unstoppable, he's just really good. It only makes sense to prepare to defend against the style that your opponent uses. Forgoing training in that area because you never think you'll be as good is a great way to get submitted. He doesn't need to be as skilled in JJ as Maia, just knowledgeable enough to defend against submissions. This is not a smart gameplan for Masvidal

Kill or be killed.

Jorge doesn't know another way.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if Jorge caught Maia in a D'Arce choke or a guillotine like he did against Chiesa. We've been seeing high level grapplers like Charles Oliveira getting caught by those.

Not that it's impossible, but that would definitely be surprising lmao.

He doesn't have the time it will take to negate what Maia brings when fights hit the ground. Just like how Conor avoided any and all chances of a ground fight with Nate Diaz in their rematch.

His best shot is to keep the fight standing. If it hits the ground, he is practicing everything under the sun on how to safely get back on his feet asap. The longer the fight is on the ground, Masvidal--at worst-- will get choked or at worst get dominated in embarrassing fashion for the entire round or fight.

It's not about beating Maia with jiu jitsu, it's about not being made into a fool if the fight goes to the ground. It's highly ill-advised to not prepare to defend the moves you know your opponent is going to use.
the point is, masvidal can spend the next 2 years preparing specifically for maia's go to moves on the ground, and maia will still do them to him easily.

people don't understand that maia is a jiu jitsu phenom. gunnar nelson is an elite level groundfighter, not just in mma, but in straight bjj as well. he's beaten some impressive names in grappling competition, and he's been competitive with the absolute best... and maia made him look like a blue belt.

think of it in terms of roger gracie going to the mundials and choking all 10 of his opponents with the exact same choke from mount. the third guy in the brackets knew what was coming, you know he's been training to defend it, and there was absolutely fuckall he could do to stop it. now maia isn't exactly roger, but he isn't that far behind either. especially not when compared to masvidal.

but i don't like this fight, i think jorge will ruin everyone's day and land a knee or some shit.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if Jorge caught Maia in a D'Arce choke or a guillotine like he did against Chiesa. We've been seeing high level grapplers like Charles Oliveira getting caught by those.

<JagsKiddingMe>

That's not true. Maia is not unstoppable, he's just really good. It only makes sense to prepare to defend against the style that your opponent uses. Forgoing training in that area because you never think you'll be as good is a great way to get submitted. He doesn't need to be as skilled in JJ as Maia, just knowledgeable enough to defend against submissions. This is not a smart gameplan for Masvidal

Agreed, look at Palhares Alan Belcher... Belcher trained specifically for Palhares and was able to completely neutralize him. Would Masvidal be able to completely neutralize Maia on the ground? Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt try to break down Demians game plan. Lol Masvidal knows wtf he's doing though.

It's not about beating Maia with jiu jitsu, it's about not being made into a fool if the fight goes to the ground. It's highly ill-advised to not prepare to defend the moves you know your opponent is going to use.

Man I'm sick of beating this dead horse but Maias had enough bouts where people have survived with him on the ground, the 'smother' is real and it's what concerns me, but Jorge is long enough in the game he knows how to mind his Ps and Qs on the ground

You're not going to beat Maia using bjj so he's better off training to keep it on the feet.

Whats the point? His only hope is not be taken down or at least scramble back up quick because it doesnt matter how much he trains BJJ Maia is light years ahead and bigger and stronger to boot.

Masvidal has a good shot to knock maia out if his defensive wrestling is strong so thats all he should work on IMO.

Masvidal is thinking to himself: Why waste my time training BJJ for 3 months against a BJJ champoin who has 15+ years of experience.

Makes sense to me. If Masvidal trains his TDD, he won't ever have to worry about Maia's ground game.

He's never gonna improve enough o make a difference against Maia, look at all the guys Maia's subbed; Condit, Matt Brown, Neil Magny, Rick Story etc and they're all better grapplers than Masvidal.

Jorge knows he's got to keep it standing at all costs.

Jorge training BJJ in preparation for Maia would be as dumb as Maia trying to sharpen his boxing for Masvidal.
I'm sure Maia is working on his striking so he doesn't get lit up or knocked out before he can get the fight to the ground. By your logic, Masvidal should just tap as soon as anything other than his feet hits the canvas. It's not a waste of time to prepare against your opponent's strength, just don't try to beat them with their own game is all

Erm it's probably the smartest thing he could do..?

Wouldn't matter if Jorge trained JJ for 3 years exclusively, He wouldn't be competitive.
When Maia fought Gunnar that really opened my eyes personally

More time spent stuffing the takedown is wayyyy more productive

Agree ... stopping the takedown is more important.

Once you are down ... good frickin luck against Maia.

He doesn't need BJJ , he's a frikkin high school wrestler.

That's should be enough against one of BJJ phenoms...

its BS, just trying to project confidence and that hes completely unconcerned about it, maybe get into MAias head a bit even. Which funnily only shows the opposite. Thats hes most likely scared sh+tless by it if he goes as far as to claim such nonsense.
It's not really nonsense, it's more of an admission of how good Maia's bjj is. His time would be better spent training Tdd.

Even if he trained his whole camp on BJJ, Maia still kills him on the ground.

Makes sense to stick to training ways to keep it standing.

The idea of 'I'll never be good enough, so why try?' as an argument is stupid. Masvidal is gonna get tapped unless he prepares to defend submissions. If his TTD fails even once, it's over

boy about to get toby imada'd again
Demian-Maia-645x370.jpg

giphy.gif

Back