Josh Barnett could beat Stipe...

MMAMAX

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Dude kills promotions. He’d submit Stipe inside 3. Josh is one of the most underrated heavyweights.

giphy.gif

I hate Stipe the Mumbler too. But this hate is getting a bit out of hand. He's a good fighter. Nothing special. But everyone cant beat him.

Maybe a prime Barnett, MAYBE, but keep in mind he was juiced to the gills. Even then I got Stipe by KO. Dude is 240 pounds fit as a whistle, can box and wrestle with anyone, mixes up his game really well, and can take a good punch. I think he lights up current Barnett pretty handily.

I honestly think the bigger threat right now would be someone like Sergei, just because he takes huge risks to get the W and is probably a better boxer with more punching power. Still would bet on Stipe for a GnP win though.

Dude kills promotions. He’d submit Stipe inside 3. Josh is one of the most underrated heavyweights.

Hahahaha! He can’t even make it to the cage without pissing hot.

People talk trash on Josh Barnett all of the time, which I assume will also occur in this thread. My problem with that is that Josh Barnett is actually an incredible fighter.

Barnett is a good fighter and Stipe is a better fighter. Also a far better athlete. If clean Barnett has no chance IMO.

Barnett can't pass a piss test, he's a lifelong user ya know?

Maybe a prime Barnett, MAYBE, but keep in mind he was juiced to the gills. Even then I got Stipe by KO. Dude is 240 pounds fit as a whistle, can box and wrestle with anyone, mixes up his game really well, and can take a good punch. I think he lights up current Barnett pretty handily.

I honestly think the bigger threat right now would be someone like Sergei, just because he takes huge risks to get the W and is probably a better boxer with more punching power. Still would bet on Stipe for a GnP win though.

I agree. We haven't seen much of Stipe's defensive grappling; it seems like he knows enough to be able to get back to his feet, but that's it. I'm very curious how he would deal with actually having to defend submission attempts from someone as skilled as prime, juiced up Barnett. I would still favor Stipe, but it would be a very interesting match.

Barnett is a great fighter - among the best HW all time obviously. But yeah no he can't and couldn't hang with Stipe.

Prime juiced Barnett could have handled Stipe. Current Barnett would get KOed quick.

If you mean killed promotions as in he got signed at way over priced values, then failed to create any sort of draw for the cards he headlined and the org subsequently folded, how many promotions did he kill doing that?

Also what year is? Barnett would get murdered by anyone in the top 5 at HW. You do know they test in the UFC right?

People talk trash on Josh Barnett all of the time, which I assume will also occur in this thread. My problem with that is that Josh Barnett is actually an incredible fighter.

you are talking about the same guy that got choked out by rothwell, right?

you are talking about the same guy that got choked out by rothwell, right?
Yes. Barnett is-- was-- an excellent fighter and he's got a frickin' toolbox of skills. And being submitted by Rothwell isn't exactly the worse that could happen to you. Rothwell's record will show he's done pretty good for himself. That said I'm not a Ben Rothwell fan. I am, however, a Barnett fan.

I love Barnett as a fighter and personality, but even in his prime, he would have very, very little to offer against Stipe.

Stipe would be an absolute nightmare match-up for him; a vastly better striker and at least slightly better wrestler who would completely neutralize his grappling game and absolutely destroy him on the feet.

Crocop owned Barnett in a similar manner, and even Pedro Rizzo had a highlight reel knockout of Barnett back in the day. Imagine what Stipe's boxing would do to Josh.

Edit-

And I am very far from a Stipe fan. I think this talk of him being the greatest heavyweight ever is absolutely ridiculous.

Yes. Barnett is-- was-- an excellent fighter and he's got a frickin' toolbox of skills. And being submitted by Rothwell isn't exactly the worse that could happen to you. Rothwell's record will show he's done pretty good for himself. That said I'm not a Ben Rothwell fan. I am, however, a Barnett fan.

stipe would murder any version of barnett...first, barnett would never ever be able to take stipe down and keep him there....if dc can't, barnett can't...and barnett always sucked ass on the feet...stipe would ko him inside 2 rounds.

I agree. We haven't seen much of Stipe's defensive grappling; it seems like he knows enough to be able to get back to his feet, but that's it. I'm very curious how he would deal with actually having to defend submission attempts from someone as skilled as prime, juiced up Barnett. I would still favor Stipe, but it would be a very interesting match.

Word has it he's almost impossible to submit. Schaub's claimed that—I know it's Schaub, but he has had experience training with him. I also remember coming across a post of a guy who accompanied his professor when he went to Stipe's gym to work with him for a fight camp. In a full week of rolling the professor subbed Stipe...once.

Back