News Julian Marquez vs Deron Winn set for Dec 17th

Marquez left Winn's last opponent like this .. MMA Math would suggest <6>for Wee Winn.
tumblr_ou9dhwmIh21wni6p9o1_500.gifv

Winn is doomed to fail at this level unfortunately. His height is just too much of a detriment at his weight with his style and skillset. DC was short as a HW/LHW sure, but 5'10"- 5'11" is at least in the ball park to fight at those weights, and would use his wrestling and clinch work effectively to minimize his height causing him problems. Middleweight fighters especially these days aren't that much shorter than LHW's, and HW's. And Deron Winn is frekkin 5'5" fighting them. That stocky frame worked for him in wrestling where it would give him incredible balance on a low center of gravity, and also where you can't just strike your opponents face off when they're trying to shoot or advance in. But In MMA fighters do just that, they can just hit him over and over before he gets close enough to do anything. And on top of it Winn dosen't even seem to try and wrestle much to alleviate that. Going to be another painful loss for Deron I fear.

Deron doesn't have the physical strength or KO power that a lot of fighters who are short for their division and successful usually have. Being a 5'5 point wrestler at middleweight is not......ideal. He needs to get serious and get down to lightweight if he wants to be competitive. He's not DC.

Can anyone see Winn takes this guy down and control him for 3 rounds.?

Can anyone see Winn takes this guy down and control him for 3 rounds.?
I was rooting for him his last fight, couldn't figure out why he didn't use his wrestling for the life of me. Pissed me off tbh lol he's a very good wrestler

Back