Justin Gaethje (#5) Calls Out Conor (#2) [Update: Discussions Begin]

Justin vs. Conor

• Total voters
I don't necesarily agree with that but I don't see what's wrong with it either, Gaethje and Ferguson aren't similar fighters. Conor's wide stance makes him susceptible to low kicks which is kind of a problem if you're fighting Gaethje.

You need to soften a fighter with lowkicks for at least 4-5 minutes to accumulate serious damage. Idk man, Gaethje has a horrible style of blocking punches with his face and he is NOT Max Holloway or Nate Diaz. Imo Mcgregor would send him to Narnia before Gaethje overwhelms him.

Thats how I see it, maybe Im wrong and Justin surprises me, he is a beast after all. I never bet but if i had to i’d bet on Tony to beat Mcgregor and Id pick Mcgregor to beat Justin.

You need to soften a fighter with lowkicks for at least 4-5 minutes to accumulate serius damage. Idk man, Gaethje has a horrible style where he blocks punches with his face and he is NOT Max Holloway or Nate Diaz. Imo Mcgregor would send him to Narnia before Gaethje overwhelms him.

Thats how I see it, maybe Im wrong and Justin surprises me. He is a beast too.

LMAO, what? Do you watch Gaethje's fights? He messes up people's legs in less than half a round at least so far in the UFC. Barboza's leg was bruised and discolored after only a few kicks. When Justin gets hit in the head it's generally on the forehead and he does have a pace and durability similar to Holloway and Diaz though his cardio isn't as good it's still much better than Conor's.

LMAO, what? Do you watch Gaethje's fights? He messes up people's legs in less than half a round. Barboza's leg was bruised and discolored after only a few kicks.
Still. McGregor is not Barboza lol, Edson is a good guy and a very solid competitor but his boxing and ko power with his hands are meh. I see Conor hurting Justin pretty bad standing. A big left bomb will cause more damage than a legkick. At least to me...

Eddie and Dustin fucked that guy up. Lets not get too carried away.

Still. McGregor is not Barboza lol, Edson is a good guy but his boxing and ko power with his hands are meh. I see Conor hurting Justin pretty bad standing. A big left bomb will cause more damage than a legkick. At least to me...

I agree on that but that just helps my point. Conor's wide stance will make him easier to kick and everyone thought Barboza would out kick Gaethje and the opposite happened. I think Conor would have to finish him in round 1 to win and most of the time I don't think that happens. After a round with Gaethje, Conor's legs will be messed up and he won't move well, he will also be tired.

Conor's got a shot but I don't think it's anymore than 25-33%, Gaethje's low kicks are a game changer and he's super durable and his pace is very high.

Still. McGregor is not Barboza lol, Edson is a good guy and a very solid competitor but his boxing and ko power with his hands are meh. I see Conor hurting Justin pretty bad standing. A big left bomb will cause more damage than a legkick. At least to me...

Eddie and Dustin fucked that guy up. Lets not get too carried away.

Eddie and Dustin have shown much better cardio than Conor. I think the biggest factors in that fight are Justin's cardio/pace/durability and low kicks vs Conor's timing and left hand. MMA math doesn't work each style match up is different.

Eddie and Dustin have shown much better cardio than Conor. I think the biggest factors in that fight are Justin's cardio/pace/durability and low kicks vs Conor's timing and left hand. MMA math doesn't work each style match up is different.
True. Its a shame that we will never know cause Conor is NEVER taking that fight, though. Big risk/ low reward.

True. Its a shame that we will never know cause Conor is NEVER taking that fight, though. Big risk/ low reward.

If Gaethje wins his next fight and then fights and beats Khabib(I think he's Khabib's toughest match up in the UFC) he would though he's got other issues that might prevent that from happening.

That dude beat Gaethje

And Michael Johnson KTFO out Poirer not so long ago.

I think Gaethje is the most overrated fighter in MMA at the moment. Very hittable and he's already been KTFO. He gets rocked and hurt in almost every fight.

MMA math doesn't work. What Conor did to Alvarez was impressive, but it's been done before and worse since. Not to mention getting finished by mediocre Nate Diaz who was destroyed by the likes of RDA, Thomson, Rory and Benson.

MMA fans fickle as ever

I'd be rooting hard for Gaethje, but he doesn't match up well with Conor unless he decides to grapple for the first time in his life

Alvarez was scared to death of Conor, but Gaethje is fearless, and that's why I think it'd be a different fight.

He would run into pull counter after pull counter and eventually go down. Conor is too good of a striker to lose to a guy like Gaethje.

MMA fans fickle as ever

I'd be rooting hard for Gaethje, but he doesn't match up well with Conor unless he decides to grapple for the first time in his life

I think his kicks, durability and pace/volume would be major factors. If Conor doesn't finish him in the first round he would gas and get TKOed.

Anyone who can take a punch and is aggressive can beat Conor.

That's a huge simplification.

You're only aggressive as you can be so far as you can handle the damage you take. Nate's length and reach + granite chin made that possible for him.

Gaethje's boxing is poor. Got punched out by Poirier and Alvarez. And he doesn't have a size advantage on McGregor.

Ferguson is very hittable, even for short, clumsier fighters.

June 5, 2019 12:00 pm

Justin Gaethje has had enough of Conor McGregor’s dilly-dallying.

Following a first-round knockout win over Edson Barboza in late March, Gaethje (20-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) made it clear that he either wanted to fight McGregor or Tony Ferguson next. Ferguson will fight Donald Cerrone this Saturday at UFC 238. McGregor, meanwhile, remains unbooked and without a UFC contract that satisfies him.

As he’s sat on the sidelines and mostly concentrated on his whiskey business, McGregor (21-4 MMA, 9-2 UFC) can’t seem to make up his mind who he’d like to fight next.

Gaethje, quite frankly, is sick of it, and he unloaded on McGregor in a tweet on Tuesday:

"Do it the right way p*ssy. Stop sh1tting on the integrity of the sport. You want @TeamKhabib again you fight me, or the winner of Cowboy and Ferguson or get the f*ck out of here and enjoy all that money."

McGregor has expressed his desire to rematch lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, whom he submitted to last October at UFC 229. McGregor also has said he’d like to run it back with Floyd Mayweather, whom he lost to via TKO in their August 2017 boxing match.

All things considered, a Mayweather rematch is unlikely; Nurmagomedov is officially booked to unify the lightweight titles with interim champ Dustin Poirier on Sept. 7 at UFC 242; and Ferguson and Cerrone fight each other this weekend.

That leaves McGregor and Gaethje as the only two top-five lightweights unbooked.

-MMAJunkie

Perfect fight for MSG in NOV. Would give the Khabib/Poirier winner(SEP) time to fight the Tony/Cerrone(JUNE) in December/January without Conor jumping the line.

Lol @ Conor being #2. What a fucking joke.

Name me another 1-1 (2-2 counting the Diaz fights) fighter who is ranked #2 in the division.

Conor's whole career is built on favoritism and a huge weight cut. Hence his 2-2 record in the division.

Why is conor #2 again?

He is 1-1 in LW.

The rankings are strange but he was no1 with the belt and only lost to Khabib and had a win over Eddie.

Barboza lost 3 of his last 4 and has only dropped from #5 to #7 in that time.

Raging Al lost to Khabib and moved up from #11 to #8, beat Kevin Lee and moves to #4. Should you move up 7 places for one win?

Corey Anderson beat #5 Glover and #5 Latifi back to back and dropped down the rankings to #8.

Basically the rankings seem to be more popularity contest than merit based.

Lol @ Conor being #2. What a fucking joke.

Name me another 1-1 (2-2 counting the Diaz fights) fighter who is ranked #2 in the division.

Conor's whole career is built on favoritism and a huge weight cut. Hence his 2-2 record in the division.

Rose is 3-2 in her last five and is no1 contender.

Holly Holm is 2-4 in her last six and ranked 2.

Justin Gaethje? You mean the brawler who got out struck by Eddie Alvarez?
{<jordan}{<jordan}
Conor first round TKO

Back