News Kelvin Gastelum vs. Daniel Rodriguez set for UFC Saudi Arabia, June 22nd

Will Gastelum make weight?

• Total voters
Gastelum will always be one of my biggest “ What If’s”
No.

He was losing to the Neil Magnys of the world at WW and lost to a shot Weidman at MW.

He was never that good and people need to accept it. He had a shit ton of hype for beating Hall who was incredibly overhyped himself.

Remember that clip on the ultimate fighter when Kelvin and Rob were doing long distance laps? Rob was literally lapping Kelvin while Kelvin was hunched over puking on the sidelines. Says everything you need to know about the work ethic of Kelvin, surprised he made it as far as he did.

Kelvin has won 2 of his last 8 fights.

He didn't belong in the ring with Brady. Completely outclassed with no idea what to do.

D Rod is about as reasonable a booking they can get him - a name brand opponent with journeyman skill level and a few recent losses. I still think this fight is a toss-up.

Not only did Kelvin waste away his prime fighting in the wrong division and taking a ton of damage, he also hasn't progressed his skills. His striking today looks like a copy/paste of him 5 years ago.
Drod at his best wasn't good. Those 6 losses are all to top ten guys including two great mw champions. He could easily be matched with magny Holland or chiesa from the rankings and jingling or Ponzi if not.

They said he had no chance against Uriah Hall too

1st picked guy vs Last picked guy, with the latter going on to win the show
He had all the tools to be remembered better than what he is now.

He had all the tools to be remembered better than what he is now.

Who are you to say when someone’s careers over bud. You’ve got no clue what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe he’s been dealing with something, maybe not. People change and I personally hope Gastelum can start putting some wins together. I don’t know why anyone ever enjoyed his decline considering his fight style honestly

Who are you to say when someone’s careers over bud. You’ve got no clue what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe he’s been dealing with something, maybe not. People change and I personally hope Gastelum can start putting some wins together. I don’t know why anyone ever enjoyed his decline considering his fight style honestly
Who said I enjoyed his decline? You made a lot of assumptions there bud. You seem to be rather defensive about my post. Let me say this in a non triggering way. Gastelum is a great fighter and has all the tools in the world. I’m also a big fan of his, but whenever I hear his name is makes me wonder….. What if he stayed at 170 would he have got the belt? How long would he have held it? See, I think he would’ve been champ and had several title defenses, but I will never know. So I wonder “What if”

While the book seems to be written on Kelvin, you got to admit that the dude has fast hands, packs power and just seems to be a natural puncher. Also, wasn't he a junior college wrestling standout? He is a black belt. A Black Belt. A Brazilian jiu-jitsu Black Belt! Nevermind that silly 10th planet stuff. That is more impressive than a NCJAA (or whatever its called) wrestling pedigree IMO. Those wrestlers whoop the white and blues, maybe the purps but after that its almost a hinderance to BJJ. Annnyhoo...

I didnt actually watch his fight vs. Brady. Did he look like a man who's been grapplng at a high level for all his life?

I’ve always liked Kelvin and his style but Brady really threw him all over the place in that last fight. I don’t think Rodriguez will present the same threat but Kelvin really needs to win this one.

Will make weight, will lose fight.

Drod at his best wasn't good. Those 6 losses are all to top ten guys including two great mw champions. He could easily be matched with magny Holland or chiesa from the rankings and jingling or Ponzi if not.

D-Rod literally beat Jingliang which makes this kind of hilarious, but in any event lets examine their UFC records

7-3 // D-Rod
12-6 // Jingliang
22-10 // Magny
11-7 // Chiesa (on a 3 fight losing streak)
12-8 // Holland (on a 2 fight losing streak)
11-6 // Ponz (on 2-4 run)

These guys are all currently name brand journeyman. Ponz had the makings of a solidly top 10 fighter earlier in his career, but those days are behind him.

I fail to see how D-Rod is a lower quality opponent then years-long losing streak Kelvin deserves. Most of them are interchangeable here.

Holy the division is weak if kevin is main carding

This is a good match up -- winnable fight for both guys.

D-Rod literally beat Jingliang which makes this kind of hilarious, but in any event lets examine their UFC records

7-3 // D-Rod
12-6 // Jingliang
22-10 // Magny
11-7 // Chiesa (on a 3 fight losing streak)
12-8 // Holland (on a 2 fight losing streak)
11-6 // Ponz (on 2-4 run)

These guys are all currently name brand journeyman. Ponz had the makings of a solidly top 10 fighter earlier in his career, but those days are behind him.

I fail to see how D-Rod is a lower quality opponent then years-long losing streak Kelvin deserves. Most of them are interchangeable here.
He robbed JingLiang.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back