Kendrick Lamar v Drake beef

Might just need to hear him over a familiar style of beat. I think his performance on Momma is up there with anything else that came out in the 90s

To each their own. He has obvious talent but his music and style don't do much for me.

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the 90s. There are also great artists and albums from the 2000s that I would rate higher.

To each their own. He has obvious talent but his music and style don't do much for me.

It doesn't have anything to do with the 90s. There are great artists and albums from the 2000s that I would rate higher.
Different strokes for different folks, I can respect it - I feel similarly about Tupac. Insanely talented guy, just not my cup of tea. I was mainly using the 90s as a reference since I saw some folks comparing it to the current era earlier in the thread. At least you can say you gave Kendrick's music an honest shot, a lot of folks either jump to hating or nuthugging with him

I was listening to what people had recommended as well as what had the most views (same for Drake). Once I came across "Love" I decided to stop. The song you posted is better than what I had listened to but I don't seem to have much interest in his music.

Lamar's better than what I heard from Drake but considering the acclaim, he seems immensely overrated.
I don’t like Kendrick much and i’ve been flying the “this guy is overrated” flag for a decade now, but he is definitely talented and has 3 classics under his belt.

Hey, im no hater. 90’s had some cringe bangers. Every era does.
I didn't mean to imply you were, sorry if it came off that way. I think for every amazing artist that is produced, five more corny ones follow. It's just the nature of art no matter what era you're living in

I don’t like Kendrick much and i’ve been flying the “this guy is overrated” flag for a decade now, but he is definitely talented and has 3 classics under his belt.
Who are some of your favorite modern rappers?

I didn't mean to imply you were, sorry if it came off that way. I think for every amazing artist that is produced, five more corny ones follow. It's just the nature of art no matter what era you're living in

Oh dude i love “trash”.
Gunna, Nav, all the O-Block guys (RIP to most of them lol).

Playboi Carti and Cochise probably my two favorites atm

And no offense taken or anything implied at all, fam. That was more directed at the generation who thinks that the 90’s were some flawless music paradise with a high standard

There's still plenty of high-quality Hip Hop being made, it just isn't what sells to mainstream audiences. Gotta do some digging to get the good stuff, and most people don't have time for all of that. Nowadays, you have artists like Conway the Machine, Freddie Gibbs, Westside Gunn, JID, Mick Jenkins, Kendrick Lamar (of course), and if you like the really lyrical stuff, there's a new style popping up on the east coast called Drumless that focuses purely on lyricism. Some of the best Hip Hop writing I have ever heard coming out of this scene. Some amazing artists include Ka (my favorite Hip Hop artist ever), Billy Woods, Mach-Hommy, Estee Nack, MIKE, and Earl Sweatshirt. I agree that mainstream rap is mostly ass nowadays, but I have also never seen the underground Hip Hop scene so vibrant and full of talent ever before.
Billy Woods (& Armand Hammer) are putting out the best records right now as far as i’m concerned.

I'm going to see Kool Moe Dee in concert in a few weeks, remember his feud with LL Cool J, that was good stuff

Those were real battles.

Kendrick-Drake is kinda just whatever. Neither guy is threatening.
Its nerdy black guy with a weird voice vs feminine white guy

See what im saying?
This shit was 23 years ago and these middle aged millennials just cant move on.

You can enjoy Ether and still think that Kendrick making fun of Drake using weight loss drugs, fucking and impregnating strippers, hanging out with trashy women and acting like them, faking his accent and backstory, getting slapped by Diddy, his dad ignoring him til he got famous, on and on is still funny and a good diss.

You guys dont have to do this every time we talk about modern hip hop. It’s so boring. You bore people. If people at work were talking about this and you came up and said this, people would walk away from you and carry on with their conversation somewhere else
Hip hop is dead and its been dead since 2006 when Nas declared it over.
You listen to Pop music.

I was listening to what people had recommended as well as what had the most views (same for Drake). Once I came across "Love" I decided to stop. The song you posted is better than what I had listened to but I don't seem to have much interest in his music.

Lamar's better than what I heard from Drake but considering the acclaim, he seems immensely overrated.

What do you think about these guys, out of Atlanta? I love their stuff.

Hip hop is dead and its been dead since 2006 when Nas declared it over.
You listen to Pop music.
Nas an alcoholic underachiever. No wonder your generation loves him so much

Billy Woods (& Armand Hammer) are putting out the best records right now as far as i’m concerned.

BDub and AH make solid records, but their flow bothers me at times. I'm also tired of these guys picking beats without drums. That record they did with Uncle Alc was mid and I was disappointed.

Might be underrated as a lyricist but as an artist, his records speak for themselves. I think some of KFK's best work is his untitled unmastered album which fell under the radar. There's a ton of great music on that record, but it's dark and isn't catchy.

BDub and AH make solid records, but their flow bothers me at times. I'm also tired of these guys picking beats without drums. That record they did with Uncle Alc was mid and I was disappointed.
i’m not bothered by either tbh. Billy has the best lyrics in the game right now imo, so i’m usually coming at the records from that front first & foremost anyways

Arguing about hip hop is pointless. Just enjoy what you like and move on

Might be underrated as a lyricist but as an artist, his records speak for themselves. I think some of KFK's best work is his untitled unmastered album which fell under the radar. There's a ton of great music on that record, but it's dark and isn't catchy.

I just downloaded that one. About to give it a listen right now.

<brucenod>

Different strokes for different folks, I can respect it - I feel similarly about Tupac. Insanely talented guy, just not my cup of tea. I was mainly using the 90s as a reference since I saw some folks comparing it to the current era earlier in the thread. At least you can say you gave Kendrick's music an honest shot, a lot of folks either jump to hating or nuthugging with him

I respect Biggie and Pac, but I still prefer KRS1, Immortal Technique, and Mos Def over any of their classic tracks.

There aren't many modern rappers that really get me going other than RTJ and those guys are old vets themselves.

This is already seven years old.

But for white boys that are corny half the time, this goes pretty fuckin hard.

"I want a ceasefire, fuck a response from Drake."

Last edited:
There aren't many modern rappers that really get me going other than RTJ and those guys are old vets themselves.

This is already seven years old.

But for white boys that are corny half the time, this goes pretty fuckin hard.

I've seen RTJ live twice. Second best concert I've ever been to. 5K general admission - basically one huge pit. I do miss El's dystopia rap, however. Cold Vein, Fan Dam, ISWYD, all classics.

What do you think about these guys, out of Atlanta? I love their stuff.

It's not bad but it's not really in my wheelhouse. In terms of the last few years, Doom and a few others were still putting out stuff that I found the most interesting.

Last edited:
Back