Kevin Lee's Estimated UFC Career Earnings/My Opinion On His Career

It depends what you mean by “not worth it.” If you are a guy with a medical degree, sure, not worth it. But do you think Chiesa or Felder made a mistake? The key in my view is to map out a career for yourself. Podcast, broadcaster, are the two obvious extensions of the fight gig, and a gym can work too but is a little riskier IMO.

Agree with you that you can’t just fight a couple times a year and think that’ll be sufficient to retire at 37 and never work again. I hope a guy like Barboza or Cerrone who fought all the time and reliably entertained has banked enough to live off of. Frankly it should be totally doable for those guys, although I recognize that it’s not easy to strike the right balance between spending and saving when you’re young and your income is variable. Most of us see our earnings grow over time, and even if we don’t plan we can just spend what we’re able to and it’ll work out okay.

Felder and Chiesa are among the handful of fighters who get media jobs, Felder in particular. This is something in the course of 1:1000 fighters going through the UFC are awarded.

The UFC is paying out 18% of revenue on average, and we know that to the penny because of court filings in the class action suit. This includes every single bonus, PPV share, the insurance plan, even the performance institute. They are quite literally taking table scraps in exchange for brain damage.

From a risk -vs- reward prospective, it makes a lot more sense to be a career plumber then a UFC fighter for something like 90% or more of the roster. You can't get back the physical damage, including brain damage, and you are all but guaranteed to be paid out pennies on the dollar.

I see the dance continues...

Felder and Chiesa are among the handful of fighters who get media jobs, Felder in particular. This is something in the course of 1:1000 fighters going through the UFC are awarded.

The UFC is paying out 18% of revenue on average, and we know that to the penny because of court filings in the class action suit. This includes every single bonus, PPV share, the insurance plan, even the performance institute. They are quite literally taking table scraps in exchange for brain damage.

From a risk -vs- reward prospective, it makes a lot more sense to be a career plumber then a UFC fighter for something like 90% or more of the roster. You can't get back the physical damage, including brain damage, and you are all but guaranteed to be paid out pennies on the dollar.

I don’t disagree. I would not fight or play football for any amount of money.

But if the analysis is purely financial I think it’s still a lot of guys’ best option.

This is bullshit...

And you know very little about the fight game...

Or fighter kevin lee..

Or how UFC does business

Dana?

Thank you for your contribution, now go cry yourself to sleep.

Inb4 backroom bonuses.

Kevin Lee and Darren Till both losing will be amazing. Thankyou D-Rod for getting the party started

Does not include reebok money

Loss to Al Iaquinta:8k to show
Win over Jesse Ronson: 8k/8k=16k
Win over Jon Tuck: 10k/10k=20k
=44k

Win over Michel Prazeres:12k/12k=24k
Win over James Moontasri: 18k/18k=36kBar
Loss to Leo Santos: 21k
=81k

Win over Efrain Escudero: 24/24k=48k
Win over Jake Matthews: 27k/27k=54k
Win Over Magomed Mustafaev:30k/30k+50k bonus=110k
=212k

Win over Francisco Trinaldo: 32k/32k=64k
Win over Michael Chiesa: 27k/48k+50k=125k
Loss to Tony Ferguson: 250k
=439k

Win over Edson Barboza: 75k/75k=150k
Loss to Al Iaquinta 84k
=234k

Loss to Raphael Dos Anjos: 86k
Win over Gregor Gillespie: 86k/86k+50k=222k
=308k

Loss to Charles Oliveira:90k
=90k

Loss to Daniel Rodriguez:80k
=80k

Total Career Earnings:1.488 million

Now obviously right off the bat you already know that 10% went to his coaches, 10% went to management/agent, another 10% for miscellaneous things like massages, gym memberships, gear and equipment, paying sparring partners, supplements, travelling for training, food. Im not even factoring in copays for the probable frequent doctors visits for MRIs, xrays, surgeries even with insurance adds up. 35% or even more might be more accurate but we will just 30% to be conservative.

30% of 1480000=444000
=1036000

His tax bracket varied over the years, but lets just say that 30% of his income is taxed, and he was able to deduct his overhead expenses and only had to pay taxes on his 1036000.

30% of 1036000=310800
=725200 after taxes

He gets paid relatively well and doesn't win that much, he might be on the chopping block as he is clearly in his decline. He peaked in 2016-2017, his wins and earnings reflect it, but he will probably never have a year like that ever again. His earnings will probably hover around what he currently makes before getting cut and picked by Bellator or One. Then his earnings will go down even more because they will pay him less. He already barely fights. Despite only being 28, he already has been a professional for 9 years, and his style is so dependent on his physicality, which is in decline. He relied on being the much bigger guy and was one of the biggest weight cutters in lightweight history, walking around 190 pounds very regularly. 725k over 7 years might sound decent, but he is going to have long term physical and probably mental ramifications. The guy has already aged a ton in 7 years. He also will have next to no transferrable skills. Everyone says open a gym or coach, but name a single successful coach who use to be a high level MMA fighter. He could be a wrestling coach at a high school or college, but he will probably fight well into his 30s until he breaks physically.

Unless you are an extremely exiting fighter who can get lots of bonuses, or be a dominant champion(winning the title doesn't mean you are rich by any means) then its not worth it financially. Even if you make lots of money, you will be broken physically or have brain damage.
Isn't Mike Brown a well renown coach That was a high level fighter.

I don’t disagree. I would not fight or play football for any amount of money.

But if the analysis is purely financial I think it’s still a lot of guys’ best option.

I disagree pretty strongly with that analysis. There are ~500 fighters on the roster right now, I would estimate a majority of them are currently working day jobs or are otherwise subsidized (lives with family, a working spouse or girlfriend)

Statistically, less then 10% of them will breakthrough to 6 figure income over a span of 5+ years.

They are wrecking their bodies and brains for pennies on the dollar while having no health insurance, 401k or pension. It is a demonstrably bad deal for the overwhelmingly majority of fighters because the revenue split is so bad.

Most of the fighters on the roster would make a lot more money as a career plumber.

Everyone says open a gym or coach, but name a single successful coach who use to be a high level MMA fighter.

I liked your post, but I disagree with the end. This just isn't true imo, depending on what you mean by "successful coach". Mike Brown, the head coach of ATT, used to be high level fighter. Urijah Faber is the head of Team Alpha Manlet. Chris Holdsworth also is a coach there. DC coaches at AKA and high school wrestling. Josh Thompson has his own gym. Randy Couture, obviously. And there's an endless list of fighters who coach BJJ or striking at gyms, so yeah, this part isn't true at all.

In absolute terms, making 100k/year for doing what you love isn't bad. In relative terms they are really underpaid compared to what they generate and should be making if we look at other sports, taking into account how much they risk their health. So your conclusion is kinda half true imo as well. I don't think most fighters get into fighting to get rich, they just want to do it and can't help themselves.

Last edited:
I am ok w the ufc going bye bye. These guys would make a better safer career out of bussing and waiting tables.

I just find it a fucking weird that some posters have a hard on about how much another man makes. Who the fuck cares as long as they put on a good fight.

I only care to the point of wanting to attract high level athletes so we have top quality fights to watch.

I really can't fathom how MMA fighters don't have other forms of income. I follow people in the weightlifting, powerlifting, skateboarding, etc. They make money off of a ton of different platforms and affiliated marketing. In this day and age, any fighter should be able to build a "brand" and make some good side money.

I disagree pretty strongly with that analysis. There are ~500 fighters on the roster right now, I would estimate a majority of them are currently working day jobs or are otherwise subsidized (lives with family, a working spouse or girlfriend)

Statistically, less then 10% of them will breakthrough to 6 figure income over a span of 5+ years.

They are wrecking their bodies and brains for pennies on the dollar while having no health insurance, 401k or pension. It is a demonstrably bad deal for the overwhelmingly majority of fighters because the revenue split is so bad.

Most of the fighters on the roster would make a lot more money as a career plumber.

Just to probe a little deeper, do you think no one should ever pursue MMA? Or are you suggesting that if you’re not on a star trajectory after a few years to pack it in?

The latter I agree with. Kris Moutinho is unlikely to come away from this career in great shape.

Dude is making only $90K a year to get smashed and work hardcore.

Yikes.

Study business, science, technology, economics, and math kids.... it's a better life than a gatekeeper in the UFC.

how is 725k over 8 years good?

Just to probe a little deeper, do you think no one should ever pursue MMA? Or are you suggesting that if you’re not on a star trajectory after a few years to pack it in?

The latter I agree with. Kris Moutinho is unlikely to come away from this career in great shape.

Long term, I think there is a real chance the current class action meaningfully changes fighter equity in the business. Currently they are getting robbed out in the open with18% of revenue coming in. Even stars like Conor are getting paid unfairly considering the money generated.

Short term, I agree with you - if you are not on a star trajectory, its a pretty bad deal. Since the UFC isn't run like a sport and has next to no basis on merit, it isn't a good idea to hang your hat on being the best either. You need to either be lucky or have the makings of a star.

100k a year take home isn't bad if you're 28 without much college debt or expenses like family/kids. Rent or mortgage a place, lease a car, train every day.

the problem is fighter's careers are short. you're pretty much retiring at 40 or possibly earlier if Dana cuts you. Then what do you do ? Kevin doesn't seem like the type to save money given his dress code, haircuts, and crazy head tat.

sad to see sometimes.

Back