Media Khabib: There is GOAT Level but Not Single GOAT

Outside of DC (his mate), he listed divisional GOATS. Of which he is one. I applaud that.

P4P GOAT is stupid. Even more stupid than P4P.

Actually, I forgot DC didn't lose to Jon Jones twice, it was a no contest in the second fight due to Jon Jones getting caught by USADA. It was only a 1 fight.

So Jon Jones only has 1 decision win over DC, and DC won 1 or 2 rounds against Jon Jones in that fight, it wasn't one-sided, and we don't know how it would be the result of their fight if they fought at Heavyweight, Jon Jones specifically said that would be DC's advantage if they fought at HW.

DC is also a double champ, who wasn't treated like Conor by UFC (a lot of favoritism towards Conor to get his double champ status), and DC still defended both of his belts. Conor never did.

So, DC is the only legit double champ, because he didn't have the favoritism advantage of Conor, and unlike Conor, he defended both of his belts.

You can actually argue DC's status as GOAT, alongside with Stipe of course.

You can also remove Jon Jones and Silva due to being caught by USADA, but even their accomplishments during pre-USADA era should be enough for them to be considered one.

I agree with greenhawk, and Khabib is a special case in this ''title defenses'' criteria, because I don't remember any UFC fighter, who signed a contract to fight for the title and then still not fighting for the title in the next two years;
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...in-2016-and-gave-it-to-conor-instead.4194685/
Right after signing the contract, a couple of days later, they say ''no you are fighting Michael Johnson'', and then not making a big deal, still accepting the fight, and even after finishing Johnson, still not giving the title shot to Khabib in the same year, making him wait 2 years to get a title shot, do you know how many times he would defend his title if he got the title shot in 2016?

This is all because of UFC's special Conor favoritism and UFC's special ''double champ'' project, which was Conor.

I think it turn out to be ok, since Khabib smashed Conor after both of them creating the biggest fight in UFC history in terms of PPV sells, but you can't ignore the fact that UFC's special double champ project (Conor) and their special favoritism robbed Khabib from multiple title defenses at the time.

So you can't just go and say ''oh Khabib doesn't have enough title defenses'', you need to see why before using this criteria for Khabib, because you can't show me another UFC fighter, who signed a contract to fight for the title, but ends up waiting for 2 years instead afterwards, for no reason but UFC's favoritism.

Khabib not only beat top contenders, he also beat UFC's favoritism towards another fighter, which should give extra points to Khabib in the GOAT discussions. No GOAT candidates experienced what Khabib has experienced at the time.
Right, I agree with most of that; no one is defending the pink goof's decisions, or saying anything was Khabib's fault. I wasn't just saying that he didn't have enough title defenses. I was saying he didn't fight enough tough stylistic matchups to prove that he was a GOAT in the league of those other guys. Being a champion and defending the title against the top contender many times over a period of time is the avenue where one travels to find those tough stylistic matchups; his resume is just not GOAT worthy. He has some great performances, just not enough against the right guys. I would love to see him fight Charles O, that would be a start since Charles is a great submission/ground fighter.

Poirier is forging himself as a top-3 ranked LW all time but Khabib just rolled him like a helpless child.

Khabib definitely lacks the big list of names but the wins he does have he has looked extraordinarily dominant.

Fedor GOAT LOL, the most hyped up fighter outside USA, like Overeem and Crocop...once they entered US territory, showed that they could not compete here at the highest levels.

There is only one GOAT in any sport. Period.

Khabib set a new standard by retiring after 1 or 2 decent paydays and going out with only 4 top 5 wins. Helluva guy

tumblr_plz3si4SLJ1udfb8oo1_400.gifv

Nice. Now do Old Silva and every other fighter out of their prime

DC is the only fighter he listed that Kahbib deserves to be paired with... the others are all a level above Kahbib. Longevity at the top matters.
Has anyone dominated the toughest division at time like khabib has? He didn't bleed, barely even rocked, barely lost a round and was beating dudes up so bad and was that easy he was having blown conversations with them while smashing them. He was even talking to dana about he's next fight between rounds lol. He's last 3 fights were against the top guys and he finished each one and still was getting better each fight. Stuff like this has to count and just boil everything down to how many title defences you had.

Jose Aldo: Won 11 championships (3 WEC)
Khabib: Won 4 championships

Yet Khabib is the GOAT? Aldo had one of the best streaks in MMA history.

Screenshot-2021-03-22-at-09.50.49.png
Yeah man it must have been really hard NAY impossible for Khabib to win a WEC belt let alone defend it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Skills wise he is, but it's annoying to me he defended the title less than half the amount of times these guys did

Title defenses are the worst metric to judge a fighter because it ignores what the fighter had to go through to even win the belt. Its UFC favoritism that determines how fast you fight for the belt.
If UFC hadn't robbed Khabib of a TS multiple times he would've been the champ after UFC 205. Khabib and Tony had to get 9 fight win streak to get a TS. Compared to Izzy (5), JOnes (4), GSP (4). Hence the latter will obviously have more title defenses .

It also doesn't take into account who the defenses were against, and if they were hard style matchups or not. Ease of the defense should matter too.

Back