Khamzat vs Cox wrestling

You must be trolling. Cox is a top 5 wrestler in the world. If Khamzat was anywhere near world class he would have found a way into the olympics or worlds
Which pays more in Sweden - being top5 in your weight class in amateur wrestling or being a top5 UFC fighter?

All natty Cox mauls Khamzat.

48773763126_40186f93ea_o-1024x614.jpg

Khamzat has won 3 national championships, but wasn’t eligible to compete internationally.
Cox isn’t bigger than Khamzat
Cox isn't as tall, but he's a hell of a lot thicker than him and he's also a much better pure wrestler.

I love how Jack became some super great wrestler now from being a strong grappler.

If Mike Perry can beat a world champion professional boxer, I'm pretty sure Khamzat can smesh an amateur wrestler.
(gargle, gargle)

Which pays more in Sweden - being top5 in your weight class in amateur wrestling or being a top5 UFC fighter?

The answer to your question is a top 5 mma fighter. That doesn’t change the fact that Hazmat hasn’t proven that he is a world class wrestler though. Askren would probably beat Hazmat in a pure wrestling match.

My god you people are insane.

Cox would crush Khamzat in wrestling.
This is an insane take and backed up by absolutely nothing. Khamzat is an incredibly elite wrestler and we have no idea how he would stack up vs America's best or what his limit is, tho very likely an Olympic medal caliber type talent considering his record and caliber of opponents beaten (i.e. rag dolling and tech falling an Olympian with ease).

Khamzat wrestling game improved alot after he left Russia, but even prior he was third in all of Russia, which means only one person was able to beat him in the national tournament and they very likely went on to medal at the Olympics. Many times guys that are even in the top 5 in Russia (esp the Caucus region) are still good enough to win Olympic gold. Khamzat's progression can be easily seen in '15'-17, where in when he first came to sweden he was winning but being scored on, and then after a year of full dedication to nothing but training, nutrition and wrestling he became a champ-champ and did not even let a point be scored on him. It is not unusual at all for wrestlers progress after they are teenagers, kinda like how Askren went from getting beat by weidman and big rigg in highschoool to being a champ-champ in NCAA and a world champion, or Jones went from getting rag dolled by Matt Riddle to a JUCO champ and eventually out wrestling DC.

Last edited:
Based on what?
Exactly. It is based on nothing. The level of wrestling in the Caucus region makes NCAA D1 look like child's play. Many people that comment on Khamzat's wrestling know nothing about it, just think he is some hype job from sweden and anyone with a D1 would murk him. Gaethje was one of the best wrestlers in the NCAA, Khabib was not even good enough to make his local Dagestan team, and Khabib molly whopped and man handled him. It is very different over there and not all the best wrestlers can just take years off, all while getting a free ride to focus on wrestling, and instead many get radicalized by their religion and reject things like western sports or they need to take care of their family and get a real job.

Maybe Cox beats Khamzat, but it would be alot closer than many people realize. Khamzat could easily be Olympic bronze caliber if he dedicated his time to freestyle vs MMA,

Exactly. It is based on nothing. The level of wrestling in the Caucus region makes NCAA D1 look like child's play. Many people that comment on Khamzat's wrestling know nothing about it, just think he is some hype job from sweden and anyone with a D1 would murk him. Gaethje was one of the best wrestlers in the NCAA, Khabib was not even good enough to make his local Dagestan team, and Khabib molly whopped and man handled him. It is very different over there and not all the best wrestlers can just take years off, all while getting a free ride to focus on wrestling, and instead many get radicalized by their religion and reject things like western sports or they need to take care of their family and get a real job.

Maybe Cox beats Khamzat, but it would be alot closer than many people realize. Khamzat could easily be Olympic bronze caliber if he dedicated his time to freestyle vs MMA,
Cox is far above the NCAA. He won the world championships back to back - that is a significantly better feat than anything Khamzat has done.

You're saying "based on nothing" but for the wrong side....you're using a no limits fallacy to say that Khamzat would beat a world champion based on the fact that he is basically from Dagestan (I believe he is from Chechnya but I digress).

You're also mixing up MMA with wrestling. Jon Jones never did and never would be able to out wrestle Daniel Cormier in a freestyle match- out wrestling him in an MMA match is totally different. Gaethje vs Khabib is MMA not wrestling - it's not the same. Comparing Gaethje to Khabib is a strawman argument anyway because Cox is far above the NCAA so down playing the NCAA is pointless, and if Cox was even smaller than Khabib and Gaethje he would still annihilate them in a wrestling match. Also, NCAA wrestling is a different sport from free style wrestling regardless...

J'Den is not just some NCAA guy, he is a full time, world class, champion wrestler. Khamzat is a world class wrestler as well, but his feats aren't anywhere near what J'Den has done. J'Den has faced guys who are the best from other power countries and held his own - like Kamran Ghasempour. He has wrestled and beaten top guys from Caucasus.

It makes no sense to say Khamzat would win.

Last edited:
Khamzat has won 3 national championships, but wasn’t eligible to compete internationally.
Cox isn’t bigger than Khamzat

Why wasn't he eligible?

This is an insane take and backed up by absolutely nothing. Khamzat is an incredibly elite wrestler and we have no idea how he would stack up vs America's best or what his limit is, tho very likely an Olympic medal caliber type talent considering his record and caliber of opponents beaten (i.e. rag dolling and tech falling an Olympian with ease).

Who is the Olympian he ragdolled? I'm assuming it was one of the Swedes on the national circuit. Now Sweden does actually have some legit wrestling credentials relative to its population size, but those are primarily in Greco-Roman and not Freestyle.

Khamzat wrestling game improved alot after he left Russia, but even prior he was third in all of Russia, which means only one person was able to beat him in the national tournament and they very likely went on to medal at the Olympics.

This is downright misleading. Yes, he won a bronze medal in freestyle wrestling at the junior level competing against other teenagers. Now this is no mean feat, as the talent pool in Russian wrestling is incredibly deep even amongst the youth and many of the kids go on to become monsters on the Olympic scene (they have to start somewhere obviously). But it's not uncommon for the level of competition to increase exponentially as the age group does: like you said, wrestlers get better in their late teens and early twenties. It's also a total supposition on your part that the guy who defeated him as a teen went on to medal at the Olympics. It may not have even been the guy who took gold at the tournament for all we know.

But I digress. I have no issue with the idea of Khamzat making it to the Olympics had he decided to devote himself to Freestyle Wrestling instead of MMA. He was clearly dominant enough and had the pedigree and plenty of wins on the national circuit. I dunno if he would want to represent Sweden though and frankly there would be tons of other talented wrestlers from Russia competing for that slot.

However, assuming blindly that his ceiling is earning a medal or better based on what we've seen is crazy IMO. There are too many levels to such a specialized, dedicated, and intensive sport. Could he? Absolutely, the guy is talented. But he would be competing against absolute monsters from all over the world, many of which have better wrestling accolades than his own. Cox is one of them.

Last edited:
Why wasn't he eligible?

Who is the Olympian he ragdolled? I'm assuming it was one of the Swedes on the national circuit. Now Sweden does actually have some legit wrestling credentials relative to its population size, though they are primarily in Greco-Roman and not Freestyle.

This is downright misleading. Yes, he won a bronze medal in freestyle wrestling at the junior level competing against other teenagers. Now yhis is no mean feat, as the talent pool in Russian wrestling is incredibly deep even amongst the youth and many of the kids go on to become monsters on the Olympic scene (they have to start somewhere obviously). But it's not uncommon for the level of competition to increase exponentially as the age group does: like you said, wrestlers get better in their late teens and early twenties. It's also a total supposition on your part that the guy who defeated him as a teen went on to medal at the Olympics. It may not have even been the guy who took gold at the tournament for l we know.

But I digress. I have no issue with the idea with Khamzat making it to the Olympics had he decided to devote himself to Freestyle Wrestling instead of MMA. He was clearly dominant enough and had the pedigree and dominant wins on the national circuit. I dunno if he would represent Sweden though and frankly there are tons of other talented wrestlers from Russia competing for that slot.

However, assuming blindly that his ceiling is earning a medal or better based on what we've seen is crazy IMO. There are too many levels to such a specialized and dedicated, intensive sport. Could he? Absolutely, the guy is talented. But he would be competing against absolute monsters from all over the world, many of which have better wrestling accolades than his own. Cox is one of them.
He didn’t have Swedish citizenship

Back