• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

KING 12oz Boxing Gloves [from FightStuff]

vince89

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok, firstly Id like to say that I was not told to post this review by the guys at FightStuff.

My decision to buy King was because I read good things about them, and I like that they have long, thick wrist support which is good for parrying and deflecting kicks.

As you can see in the picture, these gloves are great to look at. Really slick design, theyre available in many colors. I chose the 12oz ones because we dont really do full contact sparring at my club and I wanted a pair for hitting pads/light sparring as well as the Amateur tournaments I will be competing in later this year.

The padding is good all around the glove and you can confidently block punches and kicks with these gloves, no worries. The glove is a bit stiff but thats mostly because its brand new and I need to wear them in. I have yet to test these in sparring, Ive just done some pad work and some blocking/defence drills but theyve been really good. The first thing I noticed is that they feel really solid and sturdy, I was also instantly getting a good snap on my punches and it didnt take me long to get used to them. I was used to more traditional gloves with smaller wrist straps but I really prefer the bigger wrist strap on these King badboys!

I am using these gloves for Kickboxing, and I appreciate the style as I think it will help to have the padding around the wrists. Maybe if youre looking for strictly a Boxing glove, you might want something more compact but for Kickboxing or Muay Thai these things are great.

I will post further reviews down the line, with more pictures as I continue to use them. But yeh, first impressions are very good. Im glad I chose King and recommend them to anyone looking for a good quality pair of gloves for Kickboxing/Muay Thai.

dsc00020xr3.jpg

---

Also Id just like to post a recommendation for FightStuff.com/FightStuff.co.uk

There were problems in receiving my parcel and it seems someone in the Thai post office or over here in England liked the look of the package and took it home, or maybe it just got lost somewhere. But I did not receive the gloves after waiting for 10 business days. After 10 business days I contact the FightStuff representative who posts on this forum and he quickly arranged another parcel which promptly arrived a couple of days after. I was impressed with the smooth manner in which the problem was dealt, alot of other retailers would have tried to pass the blame and say they cant send me another pair - but props to FightStuff for being a great reliable company. I will definately be using them again when I make my next purchases.

Dang, those look nice. I swear some Kings will be my next glove if my Twins ever wear out. :)

12oz? You don't spar with those do you?

12oz? You don't spar with those do you?

Morning Clamp.

Really slick design, theyre available in many colors. I chose the 12oz ones because we dont really do full contact sparring at my club and I wanted a pair for hitting pads/light sparring as well as the Amateur tournaments I will be competing in later this year.

What he said^

And I thought that too,surprised esp that an am comp would let you use 12ozers

Good morning Mr. Tone! Ahh I'm blind! Yeah I just woke up, haha. I'm a little surprised about the sparring situation, but I've been to many different gyms that do that. Good luck to you buddy.

Yea,forget about anyone wanting to spar with you when you wear 12ozers unless you very light.

We use 12s because its a University club, theres no pro fighters here and no one is trying to knock each other out. Also Im going to be competing in a tournament in March and they allow 10-12oz so for my needs, 12oz made sense.

??? 12oz will hurt more than 16oz. If you training in 16oz you can better condition your arms when you wear 12oz gloves. Oh well every club is different. Good luck.

dude should buy himself another pair of 16oz and feel the weight when he hits padds and heavy bag

I don't understand why people with barely any training or experience post reviews with barely any information or meaningful description.

I don't understand why people with barely any training or experience post reviews with barely any information or meaningful description.

Why don't you buy some King gloves and post a review then?

As for the size the of the gloves, let's recall that in pro fights, glove size is dependent on the size of the competitors. Yet when sparring, everyone seems to universally agree to use 16 oz. Why? If I'm a lightweight and use 16oz, shouldn't those 200lb+ guys use 20oz gloves? Is it conceivable that the threadstarter is of a lighter weight and that 12oz might be enough? Believe it or not, I've seen a lot of beginners who don't hit that hard....

As for the size the of the gloves, let's recall that in pro fights, glove size is dependent on the size of the competitors. Yet when sparring, everyone seems to universally agree to use 16 oz. Why? If I'm a lightweight and use 16oz, shouldn't those 200lb+ guys use 20oz gloves? Is it conceivable that the threadstarter is of a lighter weight and that 12oz might be enough? Believe it or not, I've seen a lot of beginners who don't hit that hard....

Have you ever sparred someone with 12 ozers? It's much easier to get bruised and cut. Maybe if you went very light, but I don't see beginner's exercising the best of control.

What did I leave out that you might need to know? At least make your jackass comments somewhat constructive :)

I bought 12oz because I needed a general all purpose pair for padwork, drills and light sparring. The club I train at, is not a Pro Fighters club - we dont spar hard and everyone wears headguards. No one has been hurt and most people even use 10oz gloves. If you cant get your head around the fact that we're not trying to knock each other out, then I cant help you.

Also, the amateur tournament Im competing in March - the rules state you must use 12oz gloves. So its worked out nicely that the pair I bought is 12oz.

If you're going to be training and competing. Honestly, the already thin padding would wear down much quicker if you're using the gloves for everything. Bag gloves are designed denser, and differently than sparring gloves, to absorb the abuse of heavy bag and padwork. Sparring gloves are a bit softer, and help protect your partner.

Usually, everyone from pros to beginners are instructed to spar with 16 ozers. It's good that you spar with control, but I think its good to go hard in sparring once in a while so you know how it feels like in real competition. To do this its highly recommended to use more padded gloves, unless you want to get banged up.

I don't mean to be negative, but all I got from your post was "stiff, feels good, and I think it's durable". That could match the description of basically any glove. I guess you can't really get that more in-depth unless there were specific issues you were addressing, but I guess at least comparing with other gloves, between the relative feel, padding and durability would help.

if you're a lightweight you should be using 14oz gloves which everyone seems to forget exist.

If you're going to be training and competing. Honestly, the already thin padding would wear down much quicker if you're using the gloves for everything. Bag gloves are designed denser, and differently than sparring gloves, to absorb the abuse of heavy bag and padwork. Sparring gloves are a bit softer, and help protect your partner.

Usually, everyone from pros to beginners are instructed to spar with 16 ozers. It's good that you spar with control, but I think its good to go hard in sparring once in a while so you know how it feels like in real competition. To do this its highly recommended to use more padded gloves, unless you want to get banged up.

I don't mean to be negative, but all I got from your post was "stiff, feels good, and I think it's durable". That could match the description of basically any glove. I guess you can't really get that more in-depth unless there were specific issues you were addressing, but I guess at least comparing with other gloves, between the relative feel, padding and durability would help.

1. Unless you own a pair, I don't see how you can say the padding is "thin."
2. Yes, bag gloves are usually denser, but are those King gloves specifically bag gloves? I don't think so....
3. I have seen amateurs spar with less than 16oz gloves. They were lighter weight fighters. This is from a gym with A LOT of talent.
4. "Stiff, feels good, and I think it's durable" does not match the description of all three of the pairs of gloves I own. None are stiff, and only two feel "good."
5. He only has one pair of gloves. He cannot easily compare them to other gloves. Keep in mind that there are many types of gloves. Some have dense padding but are supposed to be that way. Some are soft and are supposed to be. Some are "puncher's gloves", some are "pillows." I mention this to point out that it's hard to make objective statements about two gloves unless they are the same "type." Even then it can be hard due to differences in manufacturer glove construction philosophy and user preferences. There are only a few characteristics that will be desirable in (almost) ALL gloves. i.e. durability, craftsmanship, quality/price ratio.

Id say these gloves are more crisp and stiff than pillow like. Ive used other gloves which felt and looked more like pillows. So I know what you mean there. But then again, I havent had them for too long so maybe the will change as they are used more.

I'm glad you are reviewing these. I have recently been waivering toward trying this brand due to a recommendation from Fighstuff. Can you answer the following....
1) How is the wrist support?
2) How tight and snug does the velcro strap get?
3) How snug are your hands inside the hand compartment? How large are your hands around the knuckles?
4) How have these gloves worked out with heavy bag training?
5) Would you buy them again?

I'm glad you are reviewing these. I have recently been waivering toward trying this brand due to a recommendation from Fighstuff. Can you answer the following....
1) How is the wrist support?
2) How tight and snug does the velcro strap get?
3) How snug are your hands inside the hand compartment? How large are your hands around the knuckles?
4) How have these gloves worked out with heavy bag training?
5) Would you buy them again?

1) The wrist support is excellent, its about 1/3 of the whole glove so as you can imagine its very big. It goes up to just over half of my forearm, and as you can imagine thats very useful for blocking and parrying kicks.

2) You can get it really tight, but it never goes to the point of choking your forearm/hands. Even if you dont pull it all the way round, its always quite snug somehow. And I have thin forearms/wrists.

3) Im not sure what you mean by this. All I will say is, that the glove is quite 'wide' as in there is about an inch empty on the side opposite to the thumb. I dont have huge hands but my hands arent small either. The hand fits snugly inside even when Im not making a fist.

4) I havent used them on a bag yet, I have used them on Thai Pads and they are great. The padding around the knuckles is solid and I havent split my knuckles which would sometimes happen on the crappy club gloves.

5) Yes I would, Im not saying this glove is the amazing ultimate glove but I couldnt ask for more from a glove when used in the KB/MT context. Like I said, if you are doing strictly boxing you probably want something abit more compact and streamlined but these are good if you are blocking kicks.

Thanks for the info. These will likely be my next purchase.

Back