Lack of youth in Womens Strawweight

Agree with this. This is kind of retarded, how does the biggest promotion in the world have a hard time getting talent? I wish they actually had some talent scouts traveling around identifying young fighters rather than have every scrub in america fight on DWCS and get a contract.

I think the UFC's approach has always tended towards "let them come to us", to have people make the move to MMA first, proove themselves THEN get signed because its cheaper and less risky.

Its a problem in the men s[port as well(especially higher weightclasses) but I think is a BIG problem for the womens sport because female talent pools don't really exist in US wrestling or Dagistani sambo/wrestling were the UFC draw much of its talent pool from, probably the biggest potential talent pool for the womens sport is Judo and thats a sport were you really need to go after talent much of the time. Behind that BJJ I'd guess has the most potential talent but even that does not feed into MMA as much as it did 20 years ago now it has significant earning potential.

theres that one yasmin whatever from that tuf she'll be champ later

Fatima Kline (23), Iasmin Lucindo (21), Josefine Knutsson (27), Denise Gomes (23), Yasmin Jauregui (24), Viktoria Dudakova (24) are the future imo
Kline might book her ticket to the UFC in her CFFC title fight tonight.

I'm sure she's looked decent in the 4 pro fights she's had, but lots of people do. To stamp anything at that point and be correct about it in the long run requires a crystal ball or a touch of fortune
I'm as sure about her as a prospect as I possibly can be.

Woman have a longer athletic prime than men.

This just in:

Helen Mirren VS Martha Stewart for the strawweight title!

Sponsored by Depends. They’ll be selling Metamucil shots for a buck.

I'm hoping that Loma lookboonmee (27) and Jacqueline amorim (28) can get their shit together and be relevant in the top 15. Maybe in another year or two. Both had a bad loss, but rebounded nicely. We'll see how they develop.

I'm hoping that Loma lookboonmee (27) and Jacqueline amorim (28) can get their shit together and be relevant in the top 15. Maybe in another year or two. Both had a bad loss, but rebounded nicely. We'll see how they develop.
Ive always liked Lomas style. She has lethal strikes and probably the best pure striking in Strawweight (except maybe Weili).... problem is she's just to damn small. She's a small atomweight at best. I wish UFC would sign Stamp Fairtex, that girl knows how to strike.

Ive always liked Lomas style. She has lethal strikes and probably the best pure striking in Strawweight (except maybe Weili).... problem is she's just to damn small. She's a small atomweight at best. I wish UFC would sign Stamp Fairtex, that girl knows how to strike.

I think she's been gaining some weight. She is short though for sure, but if 5'5 volk can rule at 145lbs, I like to believe a 5'1 girl can have high level success at 115lbs. We'll see, though. I don't see her becoming champ, but I do think she can be a relevant girl in the top of the division. She has some great coaches down there at Volk's gym in Thailand, too.

New female fighters get added all the time. DWCS, and old fashioned signings from other orgs bring in the new girls. But in general the women are still about 15 years behind the men in skills. It’s not a knock or a bad thing. That’s the way it is. But the higher ranked girls are very good fighters. And wmma will only get better in time.

More, and more DWCS fighters are attaining high rankings, and even becoming champions.

And I’ve said it many times. In the lower weight classes of wmma (which is all of them in the UFC). Age does not affect them the same way it does with guys. The women can still be competitive in the top ten in their mid-late 30s. That is not the case with males in the divisions under WW.

Since Joanna lost to Rose in the first fight. The SW title has been like a game of hot potato. Nobody has held it for more than 2 fights.

Joanna, Rose, Andrade, Weili, Rose, Carla, Weili. 6 new champions since Joanna was the champion. And Weili/Joanna put on a FOTY just before Covid. Any girl in about the top 5-7 spots at SW can win the belt.

Their ages are not as relevant as such. Joanna retired after a great career. But she had a LOT of combat sport miles on her body. Shevchenko is the same too. Holly still keeps winning in her 40s. GDR can probably step back in at 38-39 and become the BW Champion. Now that Amanda has retired. And GDR, and Holly both have a LOT of combat sport mileage, as well.

Andrade has taken too many fights on shortish notice, and at different weights. She COULD still become the champion at SW, or FLW. Now that Shevchenko is slowing down, and is not the champion. But Andrade needs to stick to one division, and rest and prepare more in between fights. Shes only 32.

Carla became the SW champion at 34, or 35, I believe. And I can’t really think of any girl at SW, or FLW that I would favour over 34 year old Weili. She just keeps improving still.

I think you’re putting a little too much emphasis on age. Because it is not the same as in the lower weight male divisions, imo. And a few of the higher ranked FLW, used to be SW.

36 is NOT old for wmma. Certainty not like it is below WW for men.

SW is still number 1 for me. But FLW is finally closing the gap between the two divisions in skills, and ability in the top 10. And in wmma the fighters seem to be brought along at a pretty slow pace in the UFC in general.

Just my opinion.

She's already comfortably beaten a girl who was on TUF. Trust me on this one.
Are we talking about TUF 30 alum Laura Gallardo? Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't A) that season at flyweight, not straw; B) her being a late fill in replacement and not even a picked starting competitor, and C) won by Miller, a woman who is 3-3, 1-2 in the UFC on a bad 2 fight losing streak to basically unknown talents? I mean, Hardy is 2-4 in the UFC and Santos was a debuting fighter

Is that really a benchmark for success you're using?

I'm as sure about her as a prospect as I possibly can be.
And I normally trust both of you, but I am telling you with absolute assurance that at this point, "as possibly you can be" isn't much.

"Hot prospect" on a basically near regional level is a completely appropriate stance to take on them, but the subject of this thread was clearly "knocking on the door of the rankings" prospects. And staking that claim on them is, like I said, a crystal ball-rivaling gamble.

Edit
I'm sure there's a few posters who can pat themselves on the back for predicting Khamzats success back in 2018, same as there's thousands of posters who can eat crow on the hundreds of fighters they thought would be special before fighting anywhere with some consequence. That's just how this sport has ALWAYS been with its different levels.

No offense or nothing, but it feels like you guys are coming off like Peter Brand in Moneyball, who ran all the numbers and stats and getting the best results out of a crate predictive algorithm, but I feel like we've seen enough of the ups and downs of this sport with proven historical context that you sound more like Joe Sumguy at the roulette table going "No, I'm SURE 24 is coming up in the next 3 spins, bro."

Last edited:
Are we talking about TUF 30 alum Laura Gallardo? Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't A) that season at flyweight, not straw; B) her being a late fill in replacement and not even a picked starting competitor, and C) won by Miller, a woman who is 3-3, 1-2 in the UFC on a bad 2 fight losing streak to basically unknown talents? I mean, Hardy is 2-4 in the UFC and Santos was a debuting fighter

And I normally trust both of you, but I am telling you with absolute assurance that at this point, "as possibly you can be" isn't much.

"Hot prospect" on a basically near regional level is a completely appropriate stance to take on them, but the subject of this thread was clearly "knocking on the door of the rankings" prospects. And staking that claim on them is, like I said, a crystal ball-rivaling gamble.

Well yeah, Gallardo was competitive at flyweight against people currently in the UFC (granted not ones who are very good) and Fatima made it look very easy.

She's gonna be ranked by mid 2025 mark my words.

Edit
I'm sure there's a few posters who can pat themselves on the back for predicting Khamzats success back in 2018, same as there's thousands of posters who can eat crow on the hundreds of fighters they thought would be special before fighting anywhere with some consequence. That's just how this sport has ALWAYS been with its different levels.

No offense or nothing, but it feels like you guys are coming off like Peter Brand in Moneyball, who ran all the numbers and stats and getting the best results out of a crate predictive algorithm, but I feel like we've seen enough of the ups and downs of this sport with proven historical context that you sound more like Joe Sumguy at the roulette table going "No, I'm SURE 24 is coming up in the next 3 spins, bro."
Here's my source: Trust me bro.

I'm also impressed with Kline, I'm a believer that in sports you can see class.

I'm also impressed with Kline, I'm a believer that in sports you can see class.
Yeah she obviously has athletic talent and a good skill set, but the real reason I'm so high on her as a prospect is kind of intangible. She seems super focused and serious, and incredibly polished for her age.

Training every day with Erin Blanchfield helps, and I think if anything Kline might be even better.

Back