Social LeBron James 'Concerned' by Squatters Near His California Home

Florida signed a law that goes info effect July that gives the homeowners the ability to contact law enforcement to immediately remove the squatters.

The individual has unlawfully entered and remains on the property
• The individual has been directed to leave the property by the owner but has not done so; and
• The individual is not a current or former tenant in a legal dispute.

The law makes it:
• A first-degree misdemeanor for making a false statement in writing to obtain real property or for knowingly and willfully presenting a falsified document conveying property rights;
• A second-degree felony for any person who unlawfully occupies or trespasses in a residential dwelling and who intentionally causes $1,000 or more in damages; and
• A first-degree felony for knowingly advertising the sale or rent of a residential property without legal authority or ownership.

Yes, I heard Florida recently passed this. All in all it's definitely for the better and hopefully more states similarly change their current laws. Sadly, there are also unfortunate situations that will arise but there's not much one can do at this point.

A woman lost her parents home due to squatters. Another woman was murdered by squatters. A illegal made z video on how to take people's homes due to squatter rights. This are all recent things that happened.
I read about that video. Curious what loopholes they use

He has a metric ton of money, if you are that concerned hired armed security (which he probably already does.) Problem solved.

That older fella became YouTube, famous on showing how to Uno reverse the squatters by squatting on them. Apparently he turned it into a business.

He shows exactly how to do it, it’s not difficult, but it does require planning and execution

Can't turn off the electric or water because of squatter rights.

You have to make sure you're saying the correct things. It's not because of squatter's rights. It's because of tenant rights. The issue is that the homeowner has to go through a formal eviction process in order to prove that squatters aren't tenants. There's a whole deeper issue between landlords and tenants that people are ignoring.

People keep throwing around "squatter's rights" without knowing what it means. In and of themselves, squatters don't have rights until the proper conditions have been met (for instance, 10 years in some states plus other conditions like paying property tax etc).

I think we're talking about different things. It takes 10 years for someone to legally take possession (there are similar time frames in other states -- New York is 10 years as well) but you can't just toss squatters out without going through a formal eviction process (similar to most other states). It may be that the process is faster in Texas though.
I'm pretty sure you're right. I think he's confusing adverse possession with squatters' rights.

I earnestly don’t understand anyone who supports “squatters rights”.

For once, outside of basketball, I agree with LeBern.

It's insane and this story is as insane as they come. The home owner got busted for murdering his girlfriend and insurance fraud 10 years ago and fled the country (and has been tracked and known to not have re-entered the country). It is now seized by the state. Yet, despite the state being the defacto owner of the property, they can't say with certainty that this lease the squatters are showing is a piece of joke.

He should stick to sports and stop being worried about things like laws that effect him that are created by politicians.

I'm pretty sure you're right. I think he's confusing adverse possession with squatters' rights.

Adverse possession and squatter's rights are essentially the same thing. Here is the explanation:

You have to make sure you're saying the correct things. It's not because of squatter's rights. It's because of tenant rights. The issue is that the homeowner has to go through a formal eviction process in order to prove that squatters aren't tenants. There's a whole deeper issue between landlords and tenants that people are ignoring.

People keep throwing around "squatter's rights" without knowing what it means. In and of themselves, squatters don't have rights until the proper conditions have been met (for instance, 10 years in some states plus other conditions like paying property tax etc).

LeBron and everyone else living close enough to be effected has the money to hire themselves some PMC's who know how to take care of problems like this. Once a few of the squatters end up in the local ICU, the rest will get the message.

I don't support squatters rights but this is kind of hilarious. I should go find an empty 5 million dollar home and just post up and rent out rooms for $300 a night like these clowns.

Back