Opinion Lebron James in America is "hands up, don't shoot". Lebron James in China is....

Trump only cares about trade with China. He's mouth has been shut on any of the social/human rights issues coming out of China.

Completely false. But, for the sake of argument let’s imagine it to be true. How is that a rebuttal to my point? As I said, my primary concern is China using economics as a means of imposing their authoritarianism on the world. Economics (I.e. trade) is exactly how the problem needs be addressed.

So that also includes Trump right? From what I gathered he's shut his mouth so he can win some soybean farmer votes.
I don't know another president in my lifetime that has put more pressure on China where has taken China to task.

If someone from his administration sent out a tweet in support of Hong Kong and then became quickly reprimanded by President Trump due to pressure from the chairman of the CCP... I would be a great deal more offended buy that then I would be this thing with LeBron James. It wouldn't even be measurable by comparison.

But... I get it. There's no way to defend LeBron or the NBA so there's a need to point at other things so that this isn't simply a bash LeBron and the NBA thread.

I don't know another president in my lifetime that has put more pressure on China where has taken China to task.

If someone from his administration sent out a tweet in support of Hong Kong and then became quickly reprimanded by President Trump due to pressure from the chairman of the CCP... I would be a great deal more offended buy that then I would be this thing with LeBron James. It wouldn't even be measurable by comparison.

But... I get it. There's no way to defend LeBron or the NBA so there's a need to point at other things so that this isn't simply a bash LeBron and the NBA thread.

No he just has been silenced. I just find it funny that a high school educated basketball player is held more accountable for freedom of speech than the President of the country that promotes it.

It's a great point. Because it shows that all of these companies, most of them anyway, are using the sjw shtick to get across to Millennial consumers and make more money.

They don't actually give a shit. Just like the National Basketball Association.

Why are we talking about the NBA and not all of the other companies? Because the NBA has stood out in recent years as a prevalent sjw / woke politics proliferator because they have a lot of players that are quote unquote superstars with a unique ability to get a message out to people.

These "Superstars" are being made to look like fools now. If Yahoo had a similar Superstar and had found itself mixed up in controversy versus the right in the last, oh I don't know 3 years or so, they would probably be a part of the thread.

NBA superstar basketball players pushed the issue, got checked buy an actual authoritarian government that happens to be a foreign one, and we are discussing how this is a microcosm of the fact that all of this woke shit it's just a puddle being muddied to appear deep.

It's all been a veneer. It's mostly all a visceral reaction to the media's reaction to the 2016 presidential election and that's fucking that. If Americans could make 10 million dollars more by stomping out trans rights you would see of movement begin to develop and make that happen.
Edit: At minimum you would find that the people that would stand to make the most money in that situation backing away from any kind of debate that had to do with trans rights. They would pull a LeBron James and say something like 'I'm not educated on the matter'
But as of today the money is in taking the woke route, and so they take the woke route loudly and proudly

hi jamesmiler14,

i think you're mistaken, my friend.

i don't think the SJW stances that corporations (and this includes the NBA) is a sham - i think its real.

you're really far too cynical. this really is the greatest nation on the planet when it comes to inclusion, fairness and lack of racism. its an incredible experiment...a successful one too - and its ongoing.

no first world country on earth comes close to the United States when it comes to laws against employee discrimination, "hate crime" legislation and religious freedoms.

that's because we have laws that protect free speech.

that's because we have the 14th amendment.

that's because we have the ERA.

this country is actually very uptight when it comes to this sort of stuff, and has been for well over a half a century.
its one of the things that's really admirable about the United States...and that's why it sells.

- IGIT

Not so much defending LeBron as just trying to be a contrarian against anyone that will play the game back with him.

Not one motherfuker here has insinuated in any way shape or form at the Hong Kong protests are about the freedom of speech, and dude knows that.

But to insinuate otherwise it's just another volley. A way to get someone to respond and maybe get off balance. Then he'll use your next response to find something else to hit on to perpetuate this argument which is basically not even an argument because there is no arguing that LeBron James is a hypocrite.

That's why anyone in here in the contrarian mood is turning it into "what do you care about Hong Kong" or "why should he care about Hong Kong"

Because they might be able to get somewhere with that. They will get nowhere starting off with 'LeBron James it's not a hypocrite, and here is why'
Yeah it's obvious what these LeTrash defender's gimmicks are that's why I wanted to stay on topic.

So that also includes Trump right? From what I gathered he's shut his mouth so he can win some soybean farmer votes.

"but, but, but....Drumpf, DERPA DERP!"

Jesus Christ, can some of you stay on the fucking subject at hand?

It's hilarious how these LeTrash defenders can't help bringing up Trump even in an obvious situation of Lebron's hypocrisy.

Are you joshing me? Democratic ideals.

When has LeBron ever shown any interest in supporting democratic ideals in other countries?

ne of the demands of the protest groups were for there to be an investigation into the brutality inflicted on the protesters by the police and that the policwe and authorities be held police accountable. There is nothing arcane about what these issues are.

It's something he can definitely relate to. Anyone who isn't insane or shill can relate to these ideals and how important it is to support those when other fight for them.

These are some of the same demands as BLM. Plenty of sane, non-shill people don't support BLM. Plenty of HKers don't support these protests.

Lebron loves social media more than he loves pussy itself. It takes like ten minutes to gain a rudimentary understanding of the situation through twitter, google and from the staff on his team (the one that manages his brand).

He isn't a retard, he's got the scientist glasses to prove it.

No one's even asking him to lead a million-Ming march on Tienanmen Square. All iI', saying is that if he isn't going to support the Chinese protesters then maybe not be all like "Well I'm not going to beef with Daryl Morey buuut...he's kinda fucking with my bag right now."

But has he ever done this before? Has he ever done a quick Google on an international conflict and weighed in? The actual, living breathing President of the United States isn't weighing on this conflict, but LeBron James is supposed to? Why?

I've heard otherwise. Christians, Muslims and especially the Falung Gong have been getting grinded by that regime.

Of course you have. And my Chinese friends have heard that American cops kill black people for sport. When I was leaving China, some of my friends were worried I'd be killed. They couldn't fathom why I'd return to the states.

I'm not a fan of the Islamic faith. At all. But to treat people like this is sin in every religion...except I suppose the religion of international commerce.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/c...t-uyghur-muslims-say-its-unbearable-brutality

DISCLAIMER: I'm a Raptors fan and a Jordan guy. I've talked a bit of shit about him here before in the past but only in the context of the team I support getting whupped by him over the years. I think he's a decent person, a great athlete, superb businessman and a highly compromised social justice advocate. I'm not trying to bring heat on you, (you're getting enough of it here.) as said before I usually agree with most of your posts. But in this instance I'm in strenuous disagreement with you. That being said, keep well.

Word.

My only question is whether this expectations stops at LeBron. Should Apple also condemn China? Microsoft? Nike? If everyone should be for democratic ideals and against the persecution of Muslims, why in the world are we talking about LeBron James? Of all people.

It's hilarious how these LeTrash defenders can't help bringing up Trump even in an obvious situation of Lebron's hypocrisy.

I don't give two shits about Lebron. I think most "woke" people like him are fake and only jump on the "it" cause when it makes them feel good. Just like some here in this thread.

hi Khabibs Tiramisu,

i suppose.

its also hilarious how, in addition to President Trump and basketball player James, are a stadium full of CEOs of US based corporations that also have nothing to say about China/Hong Kong.

*muses*

its also kinda funny how most of us in this thread are pretty outraged that an American's right to free speech is somehow being curtailed by the long arm of China - and in a few months, we're going to start loading up on electronics for the holidays...stuff that's all made in China.

Lebron. Trump. US corporate interests. Hollywood. us.

we're all the same when it comes to China, lol. vexed at being told what we can and can't do, but all acting in our own interests.

inspiring.

- IGIT

I don't give two shits about Lebron. I think most "woke" people like him are fake and only jump on the "it" cause when it makes them feel good. Just like some here in this thread.

This is a very accurate assessment.

Transgender Bathroom issues in North Carolina? let's cancel the All Star Games

Censorship, concentration camps, restricting free speech in China? IDGAF

Someone likes to argue. There's one guy in here arguing the semantics on any and every single little thing that has been brought up in this thread today.

<JagsKiddingMe>

I see it all the time though. Recently there was a thread about a black girl that tried the Jussie Smollett method of attention garnering by accusing some white boys of cutting her dreads off.

By page 5 it had come out that the whole thing was a hoax but they still got to page 10 because there's always either going to be someone that has their heels dug into the ground at their own expense... or there's the guy that thinks he's a lawyer that just loves the arguing and is essentially jerking off.

We are at that point here.

I won't say that I won't like to argue. And I work with words for a living, so what often seems like seeking clarity to me may seem like semantics to others.

But this convo isn't just my fault. Often, I have to repeat the same question in post after post to get an answer. @Fugazy and @Crocop42 could have ended our convos in a couple posts, but they both refused to acknowledge their position so we could reach a resolution. @Khabibs Tiramisu would bring up random points, like Ali or the HK protestors, then when I tried to discuss he would argue that I was changing topics.

You were pretty fair in our discussions, but I think it's clear that most of us here just love to argue and are blowing off steam from long days working at the Nike factory.

Because much of the backlash is inherently hypocritical to begin with. Hence why its laughable to me and quite a damning analysis of where we are as a society.

People is Lebron right no but lets look at ourselves in the mirror I am sure the Trump supporting right winger is using an all American made cellphone or computer no parts ever from China to post on this thread? Is China perfect no but we have to look at the US own record to see we are not ether.

EDIT: I wonder if the right would be demanding action if the NRA was getting US made guns sold in China using popular pro NRA actors and celebrities to promote gun sales?

The next time the NBA tries to play the Human Rights / Social Justice game, they will be mocked endlessly. I take it back, from hence forth, they shall be mocked endlessly. They just took an indefensible position, unless they have no heart or soul.

hi jamesmiler14,

i think you're mistaken, my friend.

i don't think the SJW stances that corporations (and this includes the NBA) is a sham - i think its real.

you're really far too cynical. this really is the greatest nation on the planet when it comes to inclusion, fairness and lack of racism. its an incredible experiment...a successful one too - and its ongoing.

no first world country on earth comes close to the United States when it comes to laws against employee discrimination, "hate crime" legislation and religious freedoms.

that's because we have laws that protect free speech.

that's because we have the 14th amendment.

that's because we have the ERA.

this country is actually very uptight when it comes to this sort of stuff, and has been for well over a half a century.
its one of the things that's really admirable about the United States...and that's why it sells.

- IGIT
I think you have me all wrong.

There isn't one thing that you said there that I disagree with.

In fact, that's a part of what makes woke culture a joke in my eyes.

Because let's take a minute and compare our country to something like China. If you ask some lefties, you would think we have made zero progress in the last 50 or 60 years in terms of social justice and that just isn't fair.

There is still work to be done, no doubt. But if you take their View you could get the impression that this country sucks for anyone that isn't a straight white male. All bulshit.

Woke culture becomes even more of a joke in my eyes when the people in the Limelight that are pushing it the hardest find themselves bowing down to China and censoring their own employees and or Associates because it will affect their bottom line.

That flies in the face of the very Spirit of free speech for mankind and it flies in the face of any Integrity that these people who once had when speaking about these issues.

If these people lived in China being woke would be synonymous with being vanished. So you have to excuse me while I roll my eyes when these people talk about this country.

When has LeBron ever shown any interest in supporting democratic ideals in other countries?

These are some of the same demands as BLM. Plenty of sane, non-shill people don't support BLM. Plenty of HKers don't support these protests.

But has he ever done this before? Has he ever done a quick Google on an international conflict and weighed in? The actual, living breathing President of the United States isn't weighing on this conflict, but LeBron James is supposed to? Why?

Of course you have. And my Chinese friends have heard that American cops kill black people for sport. When I was leaving China, some of my friends were worried I'd be killed. They couldn't fathom why I'd return to the states.

Word.

My only question is whether this expectations stops at LeBron. Should Apple also condemn China? Microsoft? Nike? If everyone should be for democratic ideals and against the persecution of Muslims, why in the world are we talking about LeBron James? Of all people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...president-hillary-clinton-at-cleveland-rally/

https://www.businessinsider.com/lebron-james-why-endorsing-hillary-clinton-for-president-2016-9

"LeBron James: Why I'm endorsing Hillary Clinton"

hi Khabibs Tiramisu,

i suppose.

its also hilarious how, in addition to President Trump and basketball player James, are a stadium full of CEOs of US based corporations that also have nothing to say about China/Hong Kong.

*muses*

its also kinda funny how most of us in this thread are pretty outraged that an American's right to free speech is somehow being curtailed by the long arm of China - and in a few months, we're going to start loading up on electronics for the holidays...stuff that's all made in China.

Lebron. Trump. US corporate interests. Hollywood. us.

we're all the same when it comes to China, lol. vexed at being told what we can and can't do, but all acting in our own interests.

inspiring.

- IGIT
I made the point earlier that these corporations are not getting slack because they are able to do this in relatives silence compared to the NBA due to the Outreach of their Superstar players and icons.

These Superstars are part of pop culture and have a unique opportunity to get a message out to people and for a long time it seemed as if they were doing it for good and doing good for a genuine reason.

If yahoo.com how to LeBron James, then they too would be facing the same scrutiny.

Back