Opinion Lebron James in America is "hands up, don't shoot". Lebron James in China is....

This is a very accurate assessment.

Transgender Bathroom issues in North Carolina? let's cancel the All Star Games

hi LogicalInsanity,

the entire issue regarding trans bathroom access in NC was a financial catastrophe created purely by the GOP controlled state house.

trans bathroom access wasn't even an issue in the state - it was passed purely as a shot across the bow of democratically controlled Charlotte, because this city isn't a third world shithole like the rest of state (exempting the research triangle and asheville, the only other areas that generate actual revenue for NC).

we didn't just lose the All-Star game. we lost Deutsche Bank, PayPal, Springsteen, the NCAA Tournament, and on and on and on. almost 4 billion dollars in revenue.

so, what does that GOP controlled legislature do in 2017? they're like, "fuuuuuck that" and they reversed themselves.

lol.

Lebron and the North Carolina GOP. two peas in a pod, k?

- IGIT

And on the other hand vetoes Congress to sell $350 billion dollars worth of arms to Saudi Arabia, a country currently waging wholesale slaughter of Yemenis, and is renowned for its overt disappearing and execution of dissidents. Also the same man who DEFENDED the Crown Prince's innocence from allegations of having an American permanent resident chopped up into mincemeat, despite all evidence to the contrary. But lets focus on a basketball player's reticence regarding China. Priorities indeed. Damn Lebron.
Hey LeBron wants to get political then welcome to politics.

I won't say that I won't like to argue. And I work with words for a living, so what often seems like seeking clarity to me may seem like semantics to others.

But this convo isn't just my fault. Often, I have to repeat the same question in post after post to get an answer. @Fugazy and @Crocop42 could have ended our convos in a couple posts, but they both refused to acknowledge their position so we could reach a resolution. @Khabibs Tiramisu would bring up random points, like Ali or the HK protestors, then when I tried to discuss he would argue that I was changing topics.

You were pretty fair in our discussions, but I think it's clear that most of us here just love to argue and are blowing off steam from long days working at the Nike factory.

@Fugazy , so he's right, we're wrong. It's settled

960x0.jpg

Not so much defending LeBron as just trying to be a contrarian against anyone that will play the game back with him.

Not one motherfuker here has insinuated in any way shape or form at the Hong Kong protests are about the freedom of speech, and dude knows that.

Leagon said:
Again, to be clear, I do have friends in China and have worked there. I do have something to lose by publically speaking out against China (future potential work). That said, the situation there is extremely complicated. I have friends in Hong Kong who aren't protesting because they don't necessarily support the protests.

Khabib's Tiramasu said:
How about if you're set for life by having 450 million dollars net worth? And freedom of speech is complicated? What?

I don't mind yall disagreeing with me, but to imply that I'm dishonest is unfair. @Khabibs Tiramisu very clearly said that the protests were about freedom of speech, so I replied to that.

That's why anyone in here in the contrarian mood is turning it into "what do you care about Hong Kong" or "why should he care about Hong Kong"

Because they might be able to get somewhere with that. They will get nowhere starting off with 'LeBron James it's not a hypocrite, and here is why'

You've stated several times that I told you in this thread to not care about Hong Kong. Quote me on that. Either you misread or you're being shady here.

People is Lebron right no but lets look at ourselves in the mirror I am sure the Trump supporting right winger is using an all American made cellphone or computer no parts ever from China to post on this thread? Is China perfect no but we have to look at the US own record to see we are not ether.

EDIT: I wonder if the right would be demanding action if the NRA was getting US made guns sold in China using popular pro NRA actors and celebrities to promote gun sales?
I don't think anyone said to starve China, and cut them off economically.

We are talking about Free Speech here. The right to State your opinion or voice your support. Or to do the opposite.

Like gunny said, China is using economics to Leverage speech in this country. I don't think that means everyone should throw away their Chinese keyboards and t-shirts but at the same time I would take pause before I would sensor myself, or allow my neighbor to be censored for stating their opinion.

hi Khabibs Tiramisu,

i suppose.

its also hilarious how, in addition to President Trump and basketball player James, are a stadium full of CEOs of US based corporations that also have nothing to say about China/Hong Kong.

*muses*

its also kinda funny how most of us in this thread are pretty outraged that an American's right to free speech is somehow being curtailed by the long arm of China - and in a few months, we're going to start loading up on electronics for the holidays...stuff that's all made in China.

Lebron. Trump. US corporate interests. Hollywood. us.

we're all the same when it comes to China, lol. vexed at being told what we can and can't do, but all acting in our own interests.

inspiring.

- IGIT
I have for the past days started at looking for products that are not made in china. I know it's going to be tough since a lot of products are made in China, but in small ways we can make changes, and at least we've got to try. So speak for yourself when you say that we're all acting in our own interests.

Again you people keep on bringing up people like Trump, other CEO's etc. when in fact this is all about Lebron. He was asked his opinion on the matter as someone who has fought injustices in the past and being this "woke" SJW. But just because he's getting China money he chooses to stay mum, and not only that, he even tells a fellow american that he's uneducated about the subject. HE DEFENDED COMMUNIST CHINA CENSORSHIP PERIOD, AND IN MY OPINION IT'S JUSTIFIABLE THAT PEOPLE ARE DISAPPOINTED IN HIM. Some of you can't help keep bringing up other people to justify Lebron's shitty actions. This is all on him and anything Trump, other CEO's or whoever the fuck do in their daily lives will not change what Lebron did. He loves China money and it's clear as day.

I don't think anyone said to starve China, and cut them off economically.

We are talking about Free Speech here. The right to State your opinion or voice your support. Or to do the opposite.

Like gunny said, China is using economics to Leverage speech in this country. I don't think that means everyone should throw away their Chinese keyboards and t-shirts but at the same time I would take pause before I would sensor myself, or allow my neighbor to be censored for stating their opinion.

But to put this in simplistic terms isn't buying Chinese products helping their economy to use it to silence the critics? So wouldn't not buying Chinese products increase leverage for freedom of speech?

How old are you? This is how the world has always been. America used to have racism codified in its laws, but plenty of international companies from nonracist countries still did business with us.

Do you think only the NBA is doing business with China? Everyone on this board who works for a company of any significance has the same responsibility toward the people of Hong Kong that LeBron does because nearly every company in the world does business with China.
There you go buddy, I quoted you on that.

Oh you wanted verbatim...?

" how old are you? This is the way things have always been. Therefore this is the way things are always going to be."

Cool. Nowhere to go from there. I was going to let you live peacefully in that mindset but you wanted to be quoted so there you go.

I don't mind yall disagreeing with me, but to imply that I'm dishonest is unfair. @Khabibs Tiramisu very clearly said that the protests were about freedom of speech, so I replied to that.
So you think Hong Kongers who are fighting for democracy and human rights are not also fighting about free speech? Just because it's not listed in their five demands doesn't mean that it's not important to them. Lmao what kind of discussion even is this.

But to put this in simplistic terms isn't buying Chinese products helping their economy to use it to silence the critics? So wouldn't not buying Chinese products increase leverage for freedom of speech?
That's for another thread. Like, if we're going to sit down in the war room and really set out to make a plan checkered tail China... make the thread on it.

But this thread is about LeBron James and sort of the NBA at Large bowing down to a foreign government because Daryl Morey sent out a tweet about Hong Kong.

I'll say it again, just to help you get back on topic: LeBron James had a chance to show that he really is a social justice Warrior today or yesterday or whenever it was and he blew it. He revealed what most of us already suspected.

Some people are angered by it, some do not care, others just like to argue.

There you go. Back on the rails.

There you go buddy, I quoted you on that.

Oh you wanted verbatim...?

" how old are you? This is the way things have always been. Therefore this is the way things are always going to be."

Cool. Nowhere to go from there. I was going to let you live peacefully in that mindset but you wanted to be quoted so there you go.

Yeah, you misread. I wasn't saying you shouldn't care about HK. As I've admitted, I myself care about HK.

The post of yours I was responding to was about "woke" companies kowtowing to the market. So I was referring to that. Hence, the rest of my post. EVERY country is doing this with China.

My comment had nothing to do with HK.

In fact, that's a part of what makes woke culture a joke in my eyes.

hi again james,

i may be a bit older than you.

*ponders*

ever since the counterculture revolution of the 1960's, there's been an ongoing "woke culture" in the US for the last seven decades.

its part of what's driven the US to become what its become; the most ethnically and religiously diverse first world nation on the face of the planet - no other nation even comes close.

they are the point of the spear (or the pebble in the shoe, if you want to see it that way).

they've also always represented a fashionable minority pov in the US - though there are limits (the riots at the 1968 Democratic convention, for example).

- IGIT

Yeah, you misread. I wasn't saying you shouldn't care about HK. As I've admitted, I myself care about HK.

The post of yours I was responding to was about "woke" companies kowtowing to the market. So I was referring to that. Hence, the rest of my post. EVERY country is doing this with China.

My comment had nothing to do with HK.
<YeahOKJen>

So you think Hong Kongers who are fighting for democracy and human rights are not also fighting about free speech? Just because it's not listed in their five demands doesn't mean that it's not important to them. Lmao what kind of discussion even is this.

We're not having this discussion.

@jamesmiller14 said that no one in this board was talking about freedom of speech. I said that you were. So either you were wrong or James was wrong, but I'll let yall two sort that out.

You could just admit you misread. It sounds like someone in another thread told you not to care about HK. But why would I tell you not to care about HK when I myself care about HK? That doesn't make sense.

In fact, my whole argument in this thread is that people, including basketball players, should be free to care about whatever they want.

hiya Ramon Antonio,

i don't exactly see the POTUS as a hypocrite. i mean, i don't think President Trump ever campaigned as, nor promised to be, a promoter of human rights - at home or abroad.

*muses*

i'm wondering if anyone on this board owns a small business, like i do.

i accept checks from all sorts of folks i'm probably not politically copacetic with, and, generally speaking, i try not to insult them regarding how they govern their households (ie - i'd never say to a client, "i don't really approve of the way you are raising your children").

*shrugs*

for all i know, maybe Mr. James' sympathies lie with the mainland.

- IGIT
Would you provide your services to a confirmed child molester?

hi again james,

i may be a bit older than you.

*ponders*

ever since the counterculture revolution of the 1960's, there's been an ongoing "woke culture" in the US for the last seven decades.

its part of what's driven the US to become what its become; the most ethnically and religiously diverse first world nation on the face of the planet - no other nation even comes close.

they are the point of the spear (or the pebble in the shoe, if you want to see it that way).

they've also always represented a fashionable minority pov in the US - though there are limits (the riots at the 1968 Democratic convention, for example).

- IGIT
I'm 33 years old.

There has been massive changes in the movement in the last 3 to 4 years. You can go a little further back... but in the last half-decade or so it's become to the point of frothing.

I liken it to the left-wing version of the Tea Party Movement. Sour grapes that in turn, motivate and politically activate.

I don't think Gillette felt the need to make their little political commercial 10 years ago. To ignore but there has been a change almost takes me aback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fullmetalharts
Back