Opinion Lebron James in America is "hands up, don't shoot". Lebron James in China is....

When has LeBron ever shown any interest in supporting democratic ideals in other countries?

His tweeting MLK was supposed mean that people should speak out against injustice only in his country, and only when it doesn't fuck with his money? C'mon man...

These are some of the same demands as BLM. Plenty of sane, non-shill people don't support BLM. Plenty of HKers don't support these protests.

He doesn't have to support the protest in order live up the principles of his MLK retweet. Would MLK turtle up when asked about the right to universal suffrage, police accountability and the call to retract the false and pernicious characterizations the government media makes against those who are agitating for those rights?

But has he ever done this before?

Heck no. And I stopped taking him seriously when he made the "slave owner mentality remark" about NFL owners during the Kapernick thing. This is why the whole phenomenon of the activist-celebrity is such a farce a lot of the time. Actors and athletes are bestowed legitimacy as leaders of social issues (often times) solely because they are rich and famous, not because they have any special kind of insight, or even care about what they speak so passionately about.

Has he ever done a quick Google on an international conflict and weighed in? The actual, living breathing President of the United States isn't weighing on this conflict, but LeBron James is supposed to? Why?

It seems with American posters (and some Canadian ones too) every argument or conversation invariably leads to Trump. It gets a bit tedious.

Trump stays true to the brand that he projects, which does not come in the shape of any kind of social advocacy that I'm familiar with.

Has Lebron?

If a person is unable to do a quick google search on a country he's arriving at to do business with while it's in the midst of historic social upheavals that has reverberated globally among the activist community and media, then maybe he should.

Then we can argue on the merit of his observations, instead of commenting on his steadfast refusal address the plight of the protesters.

Of course you have. And my Chinese friends have heard that American cops kill black people for sport. When I was leaving China, some of my friends were worried I'd be killed. They couldn't fathom why I'd return to the states.

Okay then...why would you want to go there in the first place unless you were there to make money?

But I don’t want to blame the racism on the national root of negative traits; there are reasons behind their infantile behavior. Contemporary China regrettably exudes a “newly rich” temperament. As the economy continues to grow, a small portion of people have grown rich in accordance with the opening-up policy, and a bigger portion are waiting on their road to riches. Those who have attained “wealth” all think they deserve the level of respect that white people get — or the respect afforded to the big capitalists in white-people countries. They turn to discrimination to deal with yet-to-become-rich black people.

https://supchina.com/2018/02/23/china-has-no-problem-with-racism-and-thats-a-problem/

My only question is whether this expectations stops at LeBron. Should Apple also condemn China? Microsoft? Nike? If everyone should be for democratic ideals and against the persecution of Muslims, why in the world are we talking about LeBron James? Of all people.

Apple should condemn China. Microsoft should condemn China. Nike should be condemning itself and China. They should also be called out for sucking on China's big beautiful tits like a famine baby. They've all been Champion Poodevils in that regard.

We are talking about him because Lebron is essentially a living, breathing, walking, talking, dunking (no- defense playing, flopping) corporation. No different than Apple or Microsoft.

Because he's the fifth best basketball player who's ever lived. (And is still a top ten player right now). His is one of the brightest stars in the social media constellation.

Because he calls himself the "King" and jumped on his platform and said very loudly and clearly to the world that he's more than just an athlete/shoe-salesman but a leader.

He's being held to the standard we should hold all leaders, self-proclaimed or otherwise. This includes people like Trump or Jussie Poodeau.

But my personal inclination is to hold black and African leaders to the highest standard.

This is such a strange line of reasoning. He's quoting MLK, who didn't fight injustice everywhere, so he himself is a hypocrite for not fighting injustice everywhere.

Guys, we're all adults here. LeBron isn't a super hero. He's a kid from the hood that has, all things considered, done very well for himself. He seems willing to speak about issues that are close to home for him and he's worked hard to make a difference in his community.

He's also a fuckin choke artist and can't build a team to save his life.

He's just a dude. Not even a politican, just an athlete. It's crazy that yall are expecting him to give a shit about China or to defy a power that even the POTUS won't defy.

Small snip.

This is my biggest issue I think with Lebron. It's easy to be an activist when you have nothing to lose by speaking out.

It's what makes what Rosa Parks did so poignant. Unless you're Robert Freeman

I agree and I like him as a player I was a big heat fan. I liked heat since Tim Hardaway. Allen Iverson is my all time favorite but I liked Kobe and Lebron a lot. I just don't like virtue signalers on the left or right or any political alignment. They should be called on their BS which will help people become more honest and sincere.

He's just a dude. Not even a politican, just an athlete. It's crazy that yall are expecting him to give a shit about China or to defy a power that even the POTUS won't defy.
The issue is he's pontificated before about international issues. And now, when his bottom line is at risk he doesn't. It doesn't make him a hypocrite but he is sure an activist when it's safe to be one.

It's akin to being vehemently say, anti-gun if you live in NY, Mass, or CA. Let's drop said hypothetical person into like the backwoods of Montana and see how anti-gun they stay.

The issue is he's pontificated before about international issues. And now, when his bottom line is at risk he doesn't. It doesn't make him a hypocrite but he is sure an activist when it's safe to be one.

It's akin to being vehemently say, anti-gun if you live in NY, Mass, or CA. Let's drop said hypothetical person into like the backwoods of Montana and see how anti-gun they stay.

He's an activist when it can make him money. Like what all celebrities and corporations do. You think they really care about social causes? It's all done to promote their brand.

His tweeting MLK was supposed mean that people should speak out against injustice only in his country, and only when it doesn't fuck with his money? C'mon man...

MLK himself didn't fight injustice everywhere, lol. He did nothing for LGBT rights in his own country, much less globally. Does that make him a hypocrite?

Heck no. And I stopped taking him seriously when he made the "slave owner mentality remark" about NFL owners during the Kapernick thing. This is why the whole phenomenon of the activist-celebrity is such a farce a lot of the time. Actors and athletes are bestowed legitimacy as leaders of social issues (often times) solely because they are rich and famous, not because they have any special kind of insight, or even care about what they speak so passionately about.

Incorrect. They are often given legitimacy because they have seen behind the curtain. America is a game and they have figured it out, to varying degrees. They know how power works. They've been in the room and they know how the people in power think.

I'm fortunate enough to know many very successful black people. Almost all of them discuss the slave-owner mentality present in the nation's elite. It's not just LeBron.

Has Lebron?

Seems so, yeah. Excepting that one tweet by MLK, he has never portrayed himself as being concerned with global affairs or even all domestic issues. He doesn't seem to care about the military industrial complex. He doesn't seem to care about health care. He doesn't seem to care about Native American representation in Hollywood. And he doesn't seem to care about legal disputes between the CCP and Hong Kongese citizens.

Okay then...why would you want to go there in the first place unless you were there to make money?

I dunno, why would anyone want to go to America in the first place unless they were there to make money?

Apple should condemn China. Microsoft should condemn China. Nike should be condemning itself and China. They should also be called out for sucking on China's big beautiful tits like a famine baby. They've all been Champion Poodevils in that regard.

We are talking about him because Lebron is essentially a living, breathing, walking, talking, dunking (no- defense playing, flopping) corporation. No different than Apple or Microsoft.

Because he's the fifth best basketball player who's ever lived. (And is still a top ten player right now). His is one of the brightest stars in the social media constellation.

Because he calls himself the "King" and jumped on his platform and said very loudly and clearly to the world that he's more than just an athlete/shoe-salesman but a leader.

He's being held to the standard we should hold all leaders, self-proclaimed or otherwise. This includes people like Trump or Jussie Poodeau.

But my personal inclination is to hold black and African leaders to the highest standard.

This doesn't make much sense.

Flint, Michigan still doesn't have clean water. Do Nike and Apple have to comment about that? Mississippi has some of the worst education in the country. Should Microsoft issue a statement?

A company's job is to make profit within the rules of the system. Any philanthropy they undertake is admirable, but it's a bonus. If anything, blame the system itself for not incentivizing philanthropy.

This is such a strange line of reasoning. He's quoting MLK, who didn't fight injustice everywhere, so he himself is a hypocrite for not fighting injustice everywhere.

Guys, we're all adults here. LeBron isn't a super hero. He's a kid from the hood that has, all things considered, done very well for himself. He seems willing to speak about issues that are close to home for him and he's worked hard to make a difference in his community.

MLK was murdered in the 60s and had his life cut short, who's to say he wouldn't have been more involved in a time where travel, information, and communication are vastly improved, easier to come about, and cheaper. Secondly the statement was that you have to fight injustice everywhere I take to mean injustice must be fought everywhere, not Dr. King is fucking Superman that can fly around the planet dealing with every countries issues. Lebron on the other hand has the platform Dr. King never had, and he does direct business with China. Ignorant statement.

Regarding Lebron, He would have been better off if he had said nothing at all. I never said he should "defy" China. I criticized him for shitting on Morey for speaking out. He called a very educated man uninformed, said he was selfish for siding with the HK protesters over Lebron's and the NBA's business interests, he said that Morey's tweet effected other's physically, emotionally, and spiritually, and he said how bad his week was because of it (pretty sure the people in HK had worse and it's completely tone-deaf coming from a guy that's worth over half a billion). If he's wants to wade into Politics consistently like he has the last couple year's then he's fair game, you don't get to fall back on I'm just a basketball player after the fact.

I think celebrities should stay out of Politics. Hopefully if enough of their self serving shit backfires on them, they will. :)

Lizard icon dude spent 10+ pages defending China. Lmao. How’s the bottom of the boot taste. Is this a profitable event for you?

i think the problem here is he actually gave out an opinion , and said something like Daryl Morey was uneducated in what he said about hongkong and it would cost him and other players there income. Yet dude got so riled up when people told him there are just athletes and should just shut up and dribble. It would have been better to just not comment.

See, I didn't know he's been vocal about international issues before. I've asked for evidence of that several times in this thread and outside of quoting MLK, I haven't seen anything. He's always seemed hyperfocused on inner city black communities first, black America in general second, and America in general in distant third.

See, I didn't know he's been vocal about international issues before. I've asked for evidence of that several times in this thread and outside of quoting MLK, I haven't seen anything. He's always seemed hyperfocused on inner city black communities first, black America in general second, and America in general in distant third.
https://thinkprogress.org/nba-all-s...witness-against-darfur-genocide-2d3a8fcc2e29/

Probably the most well known one.

He's not a hypocrite but he sure cherry picks what to be an activist on which makes it feel hollow and fake is my biggest issue.

Lizard icon dude spent 10+ pages defending China. Lmao. How’s the bottom of the boot taste. Is this a profitable event for you?

When I addressed you directly, you ran and left better men to argue your point. Glad you found the balls to come back.

https://thinkprogress.org/nba-all-s...witness-against-darfur-genocide-2d3a8fcc2e29/

Probably the most well known one.

He's not a hypocrite but he sure cherry picks what to be an activist on which makes it feel hollow and fake is my biggest issue.

Did you read this article? It specifically says that LeBron was one of two people on the entire team that refused to participate in condemning the situation.

Were you using this as evidence against my position or for it?

Did you read this article? It specifically says that LeBron was one of two people on the entire team that refused to participate in condemning the situation.

Were you using this as evidence against my position or for it?
I thought I linked the ESPN article on it:
https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=3398947

"At the end of the day we're talking about human rights," he said. "And people should understand that human rights and people's lives are in jeopardy. We're not talking about contracts here. We're not talking about money. We're talking about people's lives being lost and that means a lot more to me than some money or a contract."

EG6jjj1UwAACcWI.jpg

They burning Bron Brons Jersey in Hong Kong
e03f08281bd61501c834f3b3b67824bc

Back