Levergun Love

FyrFytr998

When the shit keeps piling up…Get a shovel.
@Gold
Reaction score
Starting to notice a new trend towards tactical Lever Action Rifles. My state happens to have one of the prominent builders of them Mad Pig Customs.

52F423FD-276D-44B7-8C44-1F016F8A84C4.jpeg

But I’ve also noticed that companies are starting to build more modern magazine fed options. Do you think this is due to the possibility of a semi auto ban down the road? Or is it flavor of the month?

Starting to notice a new trend towards tactical Lever Action Rifles. My state happens to have one of the prominent builders of them Mad Pig Customs.

View attachment 966400

But I’ve also noticed that companies are starting to build more modern magazine fed options. Do you think this is due to the possibility of a semi auto ban down the road? Or is it flavor of the month?

I think you are spot on with some laws like mag capacity bans and potentially semi-auto. For example in California I cannot buy a 22lr with larger than 10capacity mag. However my old Marlin model 60 holds 14 (or maybe 17) rounds. There is no way for them to ban my mags or reduce capacity with modifying the rifle.

And like you said, a lever action could shoot pretty quickly if they ban semi-autos or reduce mag capacity even further to like 3 rounds or something dumb.

Plus they look frickin' sweet!!

I think you are spot on with some laws like mag capacity bans and potentially semi-auto. For example in California I cannot buy a 22lr with larger than 10capacity mag. However my old Marlin model 60 holds 14 (or maybe 17) rounds. There is no way for them to ban my mags or reduce capacity with modifying the rifle.

And like you said, a lever action could shoot pretty quickly if they ban semi-autos or reduce mag capacity even further to like 3 rounds or something dumb.

Plus they look frickin' sweet!!
I think I'm more predisposed to pump action than lever. Probably do to owning a shotgun. I love my mags and semi's, but laugh that a politician thinks people are somehow less capable with a pump gun.

I agree. There is certainly a level of sexiness with Levers.

m1-1.jpg

View attachment 966400

I've got a tactical lever action little .44 magnum 16 inch Rossi made Citadel Levtac-92 that is my go to pig hunting rifle and a brand new never been fired Marlin 30-30. I want to get a Marlin .44 magnum when the new run starts from Ruger.

Circumventing gun laws in places with the lever action I imagine. I’ve seen the trend also.
I wouldn’t say circumventing. Sleepy Joe wants all civilians with either pump guns or levers while keeping all the semiautomatics for police and military. Some guys like Mad Pig and Ranger Point are modernizing the cowboy guns.

This place is just down the road.
Almost bought something for my 45-70, but didn't.
https://www.rangerpointprecision.com/

Yeah Ranger Point and Mad Pig are the two big Kahunas in tactical levers right now. Getting back to what the political climate is some manufacturers are possibly planning for if a semiauto ban ever came down.

9mm
6E698F2A-FD8B-4CAF-A4E4-B19B8D206224.jpeg

BC6F4C2F-8C50-49A9-A9F7-8D12CD2DF1E1.jpeg

The 5.56 will perform the same. 9mm out of a 16in. barrel gives you .357 mag ballistics. Even more if you +P.

These magazine style levers will make it so pointy ammo which is typically not used in tube guns can be fired. I’m assuming a 300BO is on the horizon which will be whisper quiet.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say circumventing. Sleepy Joe wants all civilians with either pump guns or levers while keeping all the semiautomatics for police and military. Some guys like Mad Pig and Ranger Point are modernizing the cowboy guns.

Yeah Ranger Point and Mad Pig are the two big Kahunas in tactical levers right now. Getting back to what the political climate is some manufacturers are possibly planning for if a semiauto ban ever came down.

9mm
View attachment 967366

View attachment 967367

The 5.56 will perform the same. 9mm out of a 16in. barrel gives you .357 mag ballistics. Even more if you +P.

These magazine style levers will make it so pointy ammo which is typically not used in tube guns can be fired. I’m assuming a 300BO is on the horizon which will be whisper quiet.

I have a 50 year old Savage model 99 chambered in .308 Winchester with the cylinder style internal magazine that probably holds too many rounds for that sad demented old fuck.

9mm
View attachment 967366

View attachment 967367

As a non gun owner living in ghey Yurrp but who is dreaming to own a lever, this feels just wrong, bro.

On the other hand, I spotted a tactical looking lever in 45-70 (or 44 magnum can t remember) a few months back, maybe from Ruger ? Anyways that thing was the alphaest shit I had ever seen.

As a non gun owner living in ghey Yurrp but who is dreaming to own a lever, this feels just wrong, bro.

On the other hand, I spotted a tactical looking lever in 45-70 (or 44 magnum can t remember) a few months back, maybe from Ruger ? Anyways that thing was the alphaest shit I had ever seen.
I've got one of these in .44 mag and a Marlin 30-30
maxresdefault.jpg

I've got one of these in .44 mag and a Marlin 30-30
maxresdefault.jpg
That s not the one but pretty cool.
And the classic 30 30 Marlin is my dream gun. That or the classic winchester 94, as I never read conductive conclusions as to which one is the best. Both have cult following and haters, i found.

That s not the one but pretty cool.
And the classic 30 30 Marlin is my dream gun. That or the classic winchester 94, as I never read conductive conclusions as to which one is the best. Both have cult following and haters, i found.
I much prefer side ejection over top ejection but the .44 is my choice most weeks. I have only taken the 30-30 out once and still never fired it lol

View attachment 966400

Without reading the rest of the responses I'd say that the gun world has a way of making a bunch of stuff that may or may not make sense, but hey, nobody is forced to buy. Maybe mag bans are a factor, but overall I guess I'd look at it this way.
  • Does it increase capacity?
  • Does it decrease reliability?
  • Does it fuck up the profile/operational blah blah of the weapon?
Yes, no, no is a winning combo.

Without reading the rest of the responses I'd say that the gun world has a way of making a bunch of stuff that may or may not make sense, but hey, nobody is forced to buy. Maybe mag bans are a factor, but overall I guess I'd look at it this way.
  • Does it increase capacity?
  • Does it decrease reliability?
  • Does it fuck up the profile/operational blah blah of the weapon?
Yes, no, no is a winning combo.
It's an affront to nature.

Some border patrolmen used leverguns clear up until at least the 1980s.

Charles Askins Jr. in his book "Unrepentant Sinner" mentions many accounts of using leverguns on duty he even mentions a few gunfights in Vietnam where he used a levergun to sling lead with some North Vietnamese.

There is Jerry Shiver who also carried a .444 Marlin levergun in Vietnam

https://scatteredshots.com/2021/10/08/jerry-mad-dog-shriver/

Despite being old tech the levergun is still a viable option as a fighting rifle or even just a firearm for defensive use.

I love me a levergun , I really hope Ruger doesn't drop the ball with thier acquisition of Marlin.

Back