Lewis can dish it out but not take it

I've been saying this for years, Lewis is a glass cannon, such a big imposing figure with crazy power yet he shows no heart and has a questionable chin, everytime he gets hit with something decent he folds like a lawn chair, you hardly ever see him scramble to get up or hit back when he's hurt, he just falls over and he's done, he seems scared to death to be put out cold which is ironic

Lewis is a tough veteran with a lot of experience and he uses that experience well to give himself the best chance of winning which has been enough in the past to win fights he was losing or should have lost. With that said his skillset and overall fight tactics are still weak and because of this he has struggled with all kinds of fighters but the guys he struggles with the most are skilled fighters who have enough grit to take his heat and still be there give back.

Hunt, JDS, Ivanov and Latifi are all different but all of them had enough tougnness and skill to apply their games even after being hit by his best attacks and there was nothing he could really do to them. He mostly swangs and bangs and tonight he was clever and experienced enough to know that Tuivasa wouldn't expect takedowns and took him down twice. I don't think these tactics would work on the elites.

Lewis is a fun fighter who has quality wins but in terms of skill and tact he wouldn't be top 10 in 2005 and would have an equal chance or losing to or beating fringe top 10-15 guys of those days. Guys like Mir, Ricco, Igor, Rizzo, Schilt, Erickson, Herring, Fujita, Yoshida, Nastula could all either beat him or get KOd by him depending on who's on that day.
It’s crazy how people think mma has Improved in every aspects. There’s no way Francis would be champ back in the 05 era.

Not true. Volkanovski and Browne were beating the shit out of him, Browne almost literally, but he weathered the storm and finished both those fights.

Don't think so. Unless you've been on the receiving end of many elbows in clinch-training (and there's a possibility Lewis hasn't) they are deceptively quick and powerful for a short distance the strike travels.

Lewis can take punches about as well as anyone, so its a possibility he barely saw the elbow coming and instinctively thought 'This won't be bad.' And he woke up to realize how bad it was.
okay

I’m a fan of Lewis but am kind of hoping he retires soon. He doesn’t seem like he really enjoys fighting anymore. I get the vibe he is just there for the paycheck. Even taking this Tai fight was weird to me. #3 vs #11? Just seems like a high risk low reward fight for him

Lewis is a tough veteran with a lot of experience and he uses that experience well to give himself the best chance of winning which has been enough in the past to win fights he was losing or should have lost. With that said his skillset and overall fight tactics are still weak and because of this he has struggled with all kinds of fighters but the guys he struggles with the most are skilled fighters who have enough grit to take his heat and still be there give back.

Hunt, JDS, Ivanov and Latifi are all different but all of them had enough tougnness and skill to apply their games even after being hit by his best attacks and there was nothing he could really do to them. He mostly swangs and bangs and tonight he was clever and experienced enough to know that Tuivasa wouldn't expect takedowns and took him down twice. I don't think these tactics would work on the elites.

Lewis is a fun fighter who has quality wins but in terms of skill and tact he wouldn't be top 10 in 2005 and would have an equal chance or losing to or beating fringe top 10-15 guys of those days. Guys like Mir, Ricco, Igor, Rizzo, Schilt, Erickson, Herring, Fujita, Yoshida, Nastula could all either beat him or get KOd by him depending on who's on that day.
Im starting to think he may struggle with Rothwell who is very durable and hits hard. Then again he did go the distance and beat Roy Nelson

I thought fighters who have been KO'd don't usually do interviews?
For the most part losing UFC fighters don’t get interviewed at all unless it’s a title fight or ME. This shouldn’t surprise anybody.

It was nice that they gave Roxanne the mic last night. Had a little lump in my throat for her speech. I was telling my gf she might actually lay her gloves in the middle of the octagon. And what it meant. And she got her chance to do that. Good stuff.

Why should he give an interview he was knocked the fuck out, badly. Dude should go straight to hospital.

How many fights has Lewis been clearly losing before landing a late KO? That's kinda the opposite of what you're saying here.

No argument from me there. I will never say he never overcame adversity.

But what I'm getting at is that Lewis gets those KO's when he throws away the gameplan and is in survival mode. And he goes into that mode very quickly, pretty much as soon as he gets outclassed and takes some damage.

I'm not just talking about his fights, everybody knows if he doesn't land his big shot and gets pummeled he pretty much shuts down mentally and is finished. But last night he was humiliated post-fight as well. The big screen replaying that devastating KO:
DelightfulMeanCassowary-size_restricted.gif

And Tuivasa doing his antics, making jokes etc. The stuff Lewis usually does after a win. So what did he do? He ran out of the arena(anybody got a gif?) without even giving an interview.

It wasn't just the KO, it was jealousy. The new kid on the block taking over his popularity. That was a little too much for Lewis to handle.

I think we need to be more forgiving in the moments, minutes, hours after get sparked like that.

Ever had a concussion? Not a great time to be chatting

No argument from me there. I will never say he never overcame adversity.

But what I'm getting at is that Lewis gets those KO's when he throws away the gameplan and is in survival mode. And he goes into that mode very quickly, pretty much as soon as he gets outclassed and takes some damage.

I just think he's a limited fighter with very specific physical tools. His gas tank sucks but he has good speed and huge power so he developed a fighting style to maximize his abilities. He basically plods around with low levels of activity and fights in short bursts of throwing bombs.

I'm not just talking about his fights, everybody knows if he doesn't land his big shot and gets pummeled he pretty much shuts down mentally and is finished. But last night he was humiliated post-fight as well. The big screen replaying that devastating KO:
DelightfulMeanCassowary-size_restricted.gif

And Tuivasa doing his antics, making jokes etc. The stuff Lewis usually does after a win. So what did he do? He ran out of the arena(anybody got a gif?) without even giving an interview.

It wasn't just the KO, it was jealousy. The new kid on the block taking over his popularity. That was a little too much for Lewis to handle.
Hey man these guys are under a lot of pressure. You have no idea all the sacrifices they’ve gone through to get to that point, and the crazy mixed emotions they have to go through all through fight night. I think they deserve a bit of grace. Imagine you got knocked out and now everybody’s pointing at it and staring at it and judging you. I’m sure you’d hold your head high with dignity, not a trace of shame or embarrassment

Imagine you got knocked out and now everybody’s pointing at it and staring at it and judging you. I’m sure you’d hold your head high with dignity, not a trace of shame or embarrassment

Oh you mean like Lewis literally did to Blaydes(who looked like he was dying) after the KO? LMAO

But when he's on the receiving end he pouts and runs out of the cage.

You see my point now?

Back