Lock washers suck

That’s BS, you can still easily remove fasteners with red loctite. You just can’t spin them off by hand after breaking them loose.

Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-271-Permanent-Pack-of-1-Red-6-ml-Tube_279ca8f3-a047-458d-bd63-56baf2b27f82.1029535acfaacb4072032e7b57c08c60.jpeg

You're welcome. Just don't expect to ever get it off.

That’s BS, you can still easily remove fasteners with red loctite. You just can’t spin them off by hand after breaking them loose.
Fuck loctite and fuck it's whole team. What have you used loctite on?

Sorry bro you wrong. I'm not looking it up but my belief is they are offset and push up on the nut so when you tighten it down you get upward and downward compression which keeps the nut in place.

Anyone who flames locking washers works from home and buys their tools from Toys R Us.

Man this pisses me off more than it should.

This.

Anyone who had a shitty BMX bike in the 80's that they swapped out parts on knows that lock washers are the tits. You needed one of those bad boys next to each of the rear wheel nuts to keep them from loosening up. They worked like a champ.

You're cranking them down too much. If you flatten them, they don't work.

You need to apply heat. There are different types of loctite. Not sure if youve dealt with red loctite and anything ‘old’.

Easy, lol, thats why bolts are constantly snapping in blocks…

It's supposed to keep your nuts from wiggling loose. But all that empty space means your nut isn't super tight. But if you crank down on it to get rid of the empty space, then you flatten the lock washer and it becomes basically a normal washer, and now your nuts can bust loose again.

bmc
You have to tighten it enough to compress it, then it acts like a spring and pushes against the nut and whatever to make it harder to turn. There shouldn't be "empty space".
From https://www.huyett.com/blog/lock-nuts-lock-washers
Split Lock Washers, which are also called helical spring lock washers, are metal rings split and twisted so the cut ends no longer align. When compressed, they are squashed flat and exert force to regain their original shape. In addition to acting as a spring, a split washer may penetrate the surface of softer metals, increasing friction that resists turning. Split lock washers are suitable for many applications, but they may not be the best choice for applications that are exposed to extreme vibration.

How to Use Lock Washers

Lock washers that act as springs are installed in the same way as flat washers:
  1. Choose a lock washer that meets the size and torque requirements of your project.
  2. Place the lock washer between the nut or bolt head and the part's surface. For Belleville washers, the cup should point towards the connection and away from the nut or bolt head.
  3. Tighten the fastener to the flat load suggested in the manufacturer's instructions. Flat load is the force required to flatten the washer. A washer with too little load provides insufficient spring force and friction, and an overload washer may be permanently deformed.

Oh I’m well aware. I use the red shit or nothing at all.

I’ve run it on every flywheel bolt, tc/clutch to flywheel bolt, crank pulley bolt, oil windage tray bolt, etc on every engine I’ve built (hundreds) over the last 20 years. You don’t need heat to get it loose, it’s just got friction the whole time you’re removing it similar to a nylock nut. They don’t break, if anything, it acts like an anti-galling agent on dissimilar materials (like carbon steel fasteners threading into an aluminum block)

You need to apply heat. There are different types of loctite. Not sure if youve dealt with red loctite and anything ‘old’.

Easy, lol, thats why bolts are constantly snapping in blocks…

I just took a pretty fierce ass whoopin from a torx bolt.

Oh I’m well aware. I use the red shit or nothing at all.

I’ve run it on every flywheel bolt, tc/clutch to flywheel bolt, crank pulley bolt, oil windage tray bolt, etc on every engine I’ve built (hundreds) over the last 20 years. You don’t need heat to get it loose, it’s just got friction the whole time you’re removing it similar to a nylock nut. They don’t break, if anything, it acts like an anti-galling agent on dissimilar materials (like carbon steel fasteners threading into an aluminum block)
Carbon steel on aluminum? Yucky. Why not SS?

From a technical stand point I've used these washers on applications like train axle boxes and if you don't think they work properly, then you better ask the gentleman that forgot to fit them and even with the correct torque settings on the nuts they managed to work themselves free and take the train out of service.......that was 3 washers.

Back