Looks like solar and wind are experiencing some growing pains.

I don't know enough about clean energy to give my opinion, but I do know that getting solar panels for my home was a very good financial investment. Just got my second true-up that I was creditted $300 this year (~$250 last year). In another year I'll be very close if not at my ROI based on my usage. Thank you Tesla for selling affordable panels and allowing to use multiple credit cards for payment to build a crap load of points from the sign-up bonuses. If I never got solar I would have on average another $300 bill to pay every month.

Well, solar stuff is more predictable and also might be used for water heating + to install heat accumulators so you might use hot water next morning etc....

Wind stuff is interesting while due to fluctuations in generation it isn't cool at all. If I see flowcharts by sources of generation for my local grid operator and it's contractors.
For example if wind farm might generate 34000kW to grid under full load and after 1h the same farm might deliver just 1000kW. Additionally they are switching their shit OFF if there is too strong storm etc.

Geothermal should be green energy of choice, not this shit.

EROEI has nothing to do with money, it's a measure of how much energy a system produces for a given energy input. Extended EROEI is essentially the end to end measure of a system's energy inputs & outputs, we start from digging the resources out of the ground and go all the way to the end where the solar panel or windmill delivers the juice to turn on a lightbulb.

Once you work through the math, you'll find that renewables often emit more pollution per unit of energy than conventional power plants.
Sorry bud, I thought you were referring to ROI....

Still, lets have 164 years of continuous development and refinement (as we have had with traditional extraction) with renewables and then compare efficiencies.

Also, if you remove batteries from the equation...and my personal solar system has zero batteries required... and the comparison is very different wouldn't you say?

Yea, but AOC said that we're saving the world, so I believe it and will continue to support whatever short sightedness they present to me in the name of climate crusading.
It’s hilarious to me that you think trying to convert to green energy is shortsighted. It’s probably hilarious to most people.

I haven’t watched the video. I have no idea how credible that YouTube creator is. But I do know that continuing to burn fossil fuels is shortsighted, though may be necessary for a while until green energy production can be developed further.

But the people who are rooting for fossil fuels, and against green energy… holy shit, how stupid does a person have to be? Especially if they aren’t the head of some oil company and have no actual financial stake in those companies. Damn, how hard were those people cucked by the fossil fuel industry? It’s like a guy fucking your wife and making you thank him for watching.

It’s hilarious to me that you think trying to convert to green energy is shortsighted. It’s probably hilarious to most people.

I haven’t watched the video. I have no idea how credible that YouTube creator is. But I do know that continuing to burn fossil fuels is shortsighted, though may be necessary for a while until green energy production can be developed further.

But the people who are rooting for fossil fuels, and against green energy… holy shit, how stupid does a person have to be? Especially if they aren’t the head of some oil company and have no actual financial stake in those companies. Damn, how hard were those people cucked by the fossil fuel industry? It’s like a guy fucking your wife and making you thank him for watching.

So, because I think that a particular aspect of going green is short sighted, it means that I'm a fossil fuel industry shill?

That's funny, seeing as I literally posted a video ITT that claims that the scarcity of fossil fuels is a manufactured scam, meaning I'm no particular fan of that corrupt industry either, you neckbone.

You people are so dogmatic that you can't even properly process any kind of criticism of your "going green" crusade, and like programmed bots, you lash out at anyone who dares to, in any way.

Last edited:
Sorry bud, I thought you were referring to ROI....

Still, lets have 164 years of continuous development and refinement (as we have had with traditional extraction) with renewables and then compare efficiencies.

Also, if you remove batteries from the equation...and my personal solar system has zero batteries required... and the comparison is very different wouldn't you say?

There's this pesky problem known as the laws of physic - solar panels and wind turbines have a hard upper limit on efficiency which limits how much energy we can get out of them. We're already pretty close to that limit with silicon based solar panels so the EOREI isn't going to improve much from here. Same thing with wind turbines, unless there's major breakthroughs in aerodynamics we're not going to see any significant improvements here either.

There's some improvements to be had on the manufacturing side but the problem is most of the embedded energy cost is in the mining & refining of the raw materials (silicon wafers, rare earth magnets, carbon fibre, etc.) rather than the final assembly & production in the factory. Most of those upstream processes have already been highly optimized so not much gains to be had there.

As for battery storage, well, you don't need any because your home is still hooked up to the grid and does not run on solar alone. With a completely off-grid system you'll need batteries or some other form of energy storage unless you're running a hydroelectric system.

This quote seems to sum up that article

"There are no known connections between any of this offshore wind activity and any whale stranding regardless of species"
Were whales beaching themselves enmass before the windmills were installed? No, they weren’t. So why are they now.

So, because I think that a particular aspect of going green is short sighted, it means that I'm a fossil fuel industry shill?

That's funny, seeing as I literally posted a video ITT that claims that the scarcity of fossil fuels is a manufactured scam, meaning I'm no particular fan of that corrupt industry either, you neckbone.

You people are so dogmatic that you can't even properly process any kind of criticism of your "going green" crusade, and like programmed bots, you lash out at anyone who dares to, in any way.
I wasn’t talking about you specifically, but now I am. You outed yourself as one of the people I was referring to. Way to go.

Were whales beaching themselves enmass before the windmills were installed? No, they weren’t. So why are they now.
Whales have likely beaching themselves since the dawn of time. Again, there is no evidence to support the windmill claim.

There's this pesky problem known as the laws of physic - solar panels and wind turbines have a hard upper limit on efficiency which limits how much energy we can get out of them. We're already pretty close to that limit with silicon based solar panels so the EOREI isn't going to improve much from here. Same thing with wind turbines, unless there's major breakthroughs in aerodynamics we're not going to see any significant improvements here either.
I'm sure the net zero carbon goals will never be fully reached. While I support trying to convert as much energy production to renewable as possible, I see it being split with fossil fuels probably forever. Unless we get serious about nuclear.

Just like how I never see evs ever being able to fully take over the road roads. Mandates will have to be modified in each state that's trying to completely ban ice before 2035. Twenty five to 30 percent of the cars on the road will still be ice in 50 years.

Looks like a totally different conclusion from this Reuters article TS.

It's inevitable, any growing pains are temporary and it's not sector specific, it's any large purchases. Homes, Cars, Solar all require loans and rates are high, of course growth would slow vs in a low interest rate environment.

Geothermal should be green energy of choice, not this shit.

Most all of quebec gets their energy from Hyro electric. Would be nice if more nations found a way to adopt a stronger hyrdo electric source to tap from.

And where you can't? Gotta go nuclear for now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back