Losing weight is so hard. How do you figure out your calorie needs?

I am pretty sure this comes from the fact that 1g per pound is the easiest of all possible values to remember. There is an aspect of scientism as well because it uses precise quantitative values and then couple all that with humans have a massive bias towards round numbers.

I mean just the idea there would be an exact linear relationship between body weight and protein intake is absurd and it just happens to be that the easiest equation to remember is the physically optimal amount.

In reality it is an unfalsifiable claim. I would imagine it overshoots any possible target and we just aren't able to measure the difference between .8 and 1 gram per lb. What are we measuring again? That part is kind of left open ended as well so whatever your goal/target is, 1g per lb is "optimal".

1 g of protein per pound of weight is bodybuilding philosophy. It's not the requirement for fighting sports or just health. It's to gain stage muscles.

Incredible amino profile is hard to beat.

High fiber, low sugar. Veggies are fine, just answering why broccoli is superior.

Multivitamin makes it easier/less of a hassle to cover all micronutrient and mineral needs. Getting everything you need in the quantity you need it is a lot harder than people think, doubly so because soil has gone to shit in most areas.

Fat is good in moderate amounts.

It's generally understood that to preserve muscle mass and strength you need about 1g protein per lb of bodyweight. It's not just for bodybuilding or strength sports. Additionally protein is generally a high quality source of calories and is more satiating.

Protein got 4 calories, carbs got 4 calories, fat got 9. It's not a higher source of cals.

You will get sick of chicken. Meat and fish got vitamins minerals too. And by eating diverse sources you cover your intake and benefit. And you want diverse amino acids.

Diversity is good.

Broccoli is inferior to mixing it up. Getting diverse veggie and fruits gives you the best results in terms of micronutrients, and phytonurtients

Just see how it's more fun to eat diverse.

If you eat good supplements aren't needed.

Yes 2g per pound is muscle orientated and bodybuilding. It's not a healthy living criteria or suggested by health professionals

Plus you probably, like me, buy regular meat, that isn't that healthy to eat 2 pounds. It's not some bio farm chicken.

I am pretty sure this comes from the fact that 1g per pound is the easiest of all possible values to remember. There is an aspect of scientism as well because it uses precise quantitative values and then couple all that with humans have a massive bias towards round numbers.

I mean just the idea there would be an exact linear relationship between body weight and protein intake is absurd and it just happens to be that the easiest equation to remember is the physically optimal amount.

In reality it is an unfalsifiable claim. I would imagine it overshoots any possible target and we just aren't able to measure the difference between .8 and 1 gram per lb. What are we measuring again? That part is kind of left open ended as well so whatever your goal/target is, 1g per lb is "optimal".

Optimal for what. Bodybuilding. Martial arts. Health. I say bodybuilding. And bodybuilding cares first and foremost bout maximum muscle mass not martial arts performance or health.

Optimal for what. Bodybuilding. Martial arts. Health. I say bodybuilding. And bodybuilding cares first and foremost bout maximum muscle mass not martial arts performance or health.

You are wrong. This isn't up for debate.

And I do drink calories and got excess fat I give you that. But my blood work is good. Them vegetables are working bruh.

Well I'm fine with drinking milk. But drinking fruit juices is only half good. However I can't be arsed to use the juicer, clean up, cut the fruits veggies. And if there's fruit juice there I drink some. Again I don't try to be perfect, got no energy for that. And I use sugar in my coffee. And I eat some sweet stuff too. And I eat too much in general. Hey let me just heal my torn muscle and kickboxing will get rid of all that excess fat. Those workouts are hard.

Edit : but not eating veggies and fruits daily is pretty dumb to me, you don't have to consider my opinion

Every recent diet I've done worked well enough in the beginning but after 3-4 weeks I felt tired all the time, my muscle were drained, and even my hair felt brittle and my skin wasn't healing as fast from cuts. Then I stopped the diet and everything went back to normal so I probably didn't eat enough or have the right vitamins.

How do you know how many calories you need? How do you figure out a well balanced diet? I kept eating the same things, steal cut oats, chicken breast, quinoa, brocolli, rice, etc.. and didn't really vary the foods. Do multi vitamins do anything?

How do you know how much to eat and what kinds of foods? Are calorie calculators accurate and do they take into account body fat percentage?

Any help appreciated.

I'm healing from a injury. I can't run. In thr past, I'd run and eat health. To cut, I'd restruct calories gradually.

With the injury. 0 cardio. Healing. I pretty much began with intermittent fasting. 16 hour fast. 8 hour window I eat in. I mix in 24 and 48 hour fasts. Drastic accelerator for weight loss. Yes, it comes back BUT, you will comeback LESS than before the fast.

I simply cut my calories in half. I'm down over 20lbs. Looking at cutting another 13lbs.

Purely for aesthetics and good overall health.

If you’re looking for quick fix shortcuts, don’t expect long term results.

If you’re looking for quick fix shortcuts, don’t expect long term results.

Indeed, small sustainable changes made over a long period of time are what build huge results.

Everyone wants to make 1 100% change but nobody wants to make 100 1% changes.

I’ve found for athletes, it’s not better to eat less to lose weight. Really, athletes can and should be running off a bad diet at the worst, and at the best, eating enough to maintain intense exercise.
if you’re doing jiu jitsu and also weight training or some form of exercise more than 3 times a week, I’d consider you an athlete. You’re just burning too many calories to be eating a little. The more you eat, the more you should train. :)

You should figure out how much you are eating normally then slash few hundred calories off. Weigh yourself weekly and adjust again. Weight loss should be a gradual process and a lifestyle change. You can go on one of those bullshit 1200 calorie diets and lie to yourself how good you are feeling. It's not going to last long.

Back