Movies LOTR vs Star Wars Original

LOTR vs Star Wars

• LOTR

• Star Wars

Results are only viewable after voting.
This thread made me realize I haven't seen either of these trilogies in probably close to 20 years. I'd catch bits and pieces on TV sometimes, but not full watches. I made the mistake of watching the extended edition LotR trilogy for the first (and only) time in a single day and by the end of RotK I was basically yelling at the TV for Jackson to end the fucking thing. There's like a half-dozen false endings and it just keeps going and going and going. I've never watched them again since, even in theatrical trim. So I guess I'd take OT SW, I think it's been more influential than LotR and has a lot more iconic imagery.

Came here to say this- "by the end of RotK I was basically yelling at the TV for Jackson to end the fucking thing. There's like a half-dozen false endings and it just keeps going and going and going."

But @JBSchroeds beat me to it by one post.

Spoiler alert for one of the most popular movies ever that has been out for like decades-

If ROTK ends with Sam and Frodo exhausted on a rock surrounded by lava that is a great ending. If you feel the need to make it a happy ending, show Gandalf flying in with the eagles to save them and end right there. that is a very good ending.

the last 15 minutes is cringeworthy, with Aragorn signing for a moment or two being the biggest of big cringes.

Also, upon re-watching, Peter Jackson's shots of sweeping mountain vistas and over the top dramatic lighting of some scenes gets pretty damn repetitive and heavy handed throughout.

Great films and these are mostly nitpicks but at least Star Wars didn't drag on endlessly after the ewok kegger!

Very hard choice - both are imo the best trilogies ever made, and exemplify the very best in cinema. I seriously question someone who is not in love with both.

LOTR personally gets my vote... 3 flawless movies with beautiful cinematography, music, and lore.

LOTR might be better but when Star Wars came out there was nothing like it . LOTR also was going head to headcwith Harry Potter at time that took some shine from it. LOTR definitely better made an acted but LOTR had source material ......... If you count the Dune influence I guess Star Wars had some source material but not much.

Torn

I never got into star wars. It still doesn't interest me. The LOTR trilogy is a masterpiece when it comes to films and imo the best trilogy of all time.

Haha same here. I could never get into Star Wars, no matter how hard I tried.

LOTR as you said, arguably the best trilogy ever made. Mind you, I didn't like the Hobbit movies much, I thought they would have been up there with LOTR.

The original star wars trilogy was amazing and gets my vote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back