Low iron from sauna & hot baths

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like to take hot baths with epsom salt and I run the temperature quite high. I also use the sauna quite regularly.

I've heard that heat can destroy the iron in your body and noticed that after I do bath or sauna that my hands and feet are more prone to getting cold, which is a symptom of iron deficiency.

I noticed that when I supplement iron (which I usually take with vitamin c, sometimes copper) that this seems to help.

Anyone else notice this?

I know some think Rhonda Patrick is unreliable but she advocates sauna use.

Jury still seems to be out on the effectiveness of salt baths but I swear I feel better after them.

One other thing, anyone ever hear the theory that sitting in a bath at a temperature over 116°F for at least 40 minutes can work as a form of birth control for men for at least 1 week?

One other thing, anyone ever hear the theory that sitting in a bath at a temperature over 116°F for at least 40 minutes can work as a form of birth control for men for at least 1 week?

Your testicles like to be a few degrees cooler than body temp in order to produce strong, viable sperm. If you're cooking your balls the Sertoli cells probably won't be able to do their job efficiently. Supposedly even having a prolonged high fever can cause fertility issues. I know saunas are supposed to be good for activating heat shock proteins but like anything, moderation is going to serve us the best. What Rogan does cooking himself at 200 degrees in his sauna everyday doesn't seem like a healthy dose to me. I could be wrong though.

Heat doesn't "destroy" iron in your body, but people who are anemic and low on heme iron can pass out more easily in hot steamy environments due to having a hard time getting enough oxygen in their blood.

Have you had blood work recently? Do you have any history of anemia?

You get cold coming out from a hot bath or sauna due to evaporation.

Sweat or bath water evaporating off the skin cools it off.

Unless you're trying to have kids, use a condem. None of that stuff is reliable for birth control other than condems and vasectomies.

Heat doesn't "destroy" iron in your body, but people who are anemic and low on heme iron can pass out more easily in hot steamy environments due to having a hard time getting enough oxygen in their blood.

Have you had blood work recently? Do you have any history of anemia?

You get cold coming out from a hot bath or sauna due to evaporation.

Sweat or bath water evaporating off the skin cools it off.

Unless you're trying to have kids, use a condem. None of that stuff is reliable for birth control other than condems and vasectomies.
No, I mean that I have cold hands and feet the days after I sauna/bath, not just immediately after when cooling off. When I supp iron, it fixes the issue.

According to this, it's not that the heat destroys the iron but the fact that iron is lost in sweat which happens when you sauna/bath.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3953482/

While I agree with using a condom when the stakes are so high, there does seem to be some research behind the idea of heat contraception theory.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7995654/

With contraception you don't want anything that may or may not work. You want proven.

Or you get kids. Do you want kids? If not, wrap it up.

You sound like you may be anemic, subclinically if not clinically. When's the last time you got a CBC (complete blood count)?

With contraception you don't want anything that may or may not work. You want proven.

Or you get kids. Do you want kids? If not, wrap it up.

You sound like you may be anemic, subclinically if not clinically. When's the last time you got a CBC (complete blood count)?
Yep, not relying on heat contraception, just tossing the idea around for discussion.. think it's interesting.

I went to the doctor recently. I don't know if they did a cbc but they took my blood. I'm supposed to get my results in the mail soon.

I feel good now so I think the iron helped even though I did a short sauna last night. Maybe I've been going too long and need shorter sessions.

yeah saunas can cause dehydration and it can cause lack of iron. You should try doing it for less periods of time.

I dried my skin out from hot baths

This thread makes me want to eat beef

Back