Lug's Spear: Unleashed S&P

If I can get in a good amount of training over the next few months I'm hoping to fight again in the summer. It will be against someone from another gym this time so it won't be as relaxed as my first fight so I want to get lots of training in.

Also, check your PMs. I sent you the entire document that we sent to our DJ. It includes a brief schedule and a big list of songs. We suggested a bunch of songs from Irish artists but he had trouble finding them so he used covers by Flogging Molly and the Dropkick Murphys (Fields of Athenry, Finnegan's Wake, Rare Old Times). It was actually pretty cool because who plays punk covers at a wedding?

edit: turns out I can't PM a file so I've attached here. It's a text file since the Word doc was too big. There is a huge list of music on the last few pages that were suggestions for post-dinner dancing and it was way too much but we basically looked at list of top songs from different years and brainstormed a huge list.

Summer is coming up fast Doc, but I think it would be a lot more fun for you if the guy is from another gym. Thanks for posting that, I'm going to have to give it a look.

Squat
185lbs: 5x5

SOHP
75lbs: 5x5

BORs
115lbs: 5x5

DB Bench
w/ 55ers: 3x10

Pull ups
BW: 9, 9, 5

Notes: Felt pretty good today, didn't miss any reps really. It seems like the pull ups are getting a little easier, slowly.

I'm thinking late summer (like July/August) which gives me 5-6 months of solid training time before a fight. The skill/experience level is pretty varied at our in-house fights so I'm sure they can find someone else that is doing their first or second fight too.

Good lifting. Are you still doing BJJ?

I'm thinking late summer (like July/August) which gives me 5-6 months of solid training time before a fight. The skill/experience level is pretty varied at our in-house fights so I'm sure they can find someone else that is doing their first or second fight too.

Good lifting. Are you still doing BJJ?

What are the rules/restrictions for the fights? 6 months should be a good amount of time to get on your game, maybe it's not as fast as I thought. I have not been doing BJJ, though I do miss it. I am trying to save money so $100 a month gym fee isn't going to work for me. I will be honest and say that my injuries have made the decision a little easier. To date I have had whiplash to my neck from a neck crank, a strained knee from a knee bar (didn't even know what this one was until it happened), torn tendon in my left wrist, a concussion, broken nose, and my left elbow will never be the same lol. I may go back to nogi grappling one day when I get all of my ducks in a row, but for now my hobbies are lifting, running, and firearms. Until then my blue belt is collecting dust on my shelf, but I will say it's one of my proudest achievements (maybe even more so than my B.S. in psychology).

I'm really looking forward to getting back to my lifting right now. I want to get my deadlift back to where I had it and make my way to 4 plates if at all possible. I may have to re-evaluate my 5x5 deal later on, but for now I'm just trying to get my body/joints used to lifting again.

I'm out of town for now, so I'm trying to make the best of it.

100 BW squats
2 mile jog

Notes: Signed up for a big 10k race, but it's so big that it's a lottery. Hopefully my fiance, her dad, and I will get in so we can run it. Going to have to start running to get ready for this one.

I'm out of town for now, so I'm trying to make the best of it.

100 BW squats
2 mile jog

Notes: Signed up for a big 10k race, but it's so big that it's a lottery. Hopefully my fiance, her dad, and I will get in so we can run it. Going to have to start running to get ready for this one.

Have you done a 10k before? I've got my 2nd one coming up next month. What sort of time would you hope to complete it in?

Have you done a 10k before? I've got my 2nd one coming up next month. What sort of time would you hope to complete it in?

I used to run XC back in high school so I'm used to training for these types of things, but my endurance is completely gone at this point. I've done a half marathon and also this same race last year along with several 5k's in the past. I'm not really running this one for time, I'm just running it with my fiance and we are going to stay together. So whatever pace she is at is where I'll be.

How was your last 10k? What's your goal for the one coming up?

I used to run XC back in high school so I'm used to training for these types of things, but my endurance is completely gone at this point. I've done a half marathon and also this same race last year along with several 5k's in the past. I'm not really running this one for time, I'm just running it with my fiance and we are going to stay together. So whatever pace she is at is where I'll be.

How was your last 10k? What's your goal for the one coming up?

Ah OK, that should be nice then.

My last 10k (which was my first) I did OK, I'm really not a runner by any means but I completed it quicker than I thought I would - 53m, probably could have done it faster had I known the course - I had no idea how far I had gone or how far I had left at any stage, except when I reached the 5k mark!

The one next month is kind of similar to your situation by the sounds of it. There is an overweight guy at work who has used it as a motivation to get fit and it's for charity, so I'm running it with him. Unless he makes huge improvements within the month I can't see his pace being too fast, so I should be able to take it fairly easy.

Easy run 5k last night. Felt pretty good, really hoping we make it through the lottery so we can compete in the hunger games, I mean 10k.

What are the rules/restrictions for the fights? 6 months should be a good amount of time to get on your game, maybe it's not as fast as I thought. I have not been doing BJJ, though I do miss it. I am trying to save money so $100 a month gym fee isn't going to work for me. I will be honest and say that my injuries have made the decision a little easier. To date I have had whiplash to my neck from a neck crank, a strained knee from a knee bar (didn't even know what this one was until it happened), torn tendon in my left wrist, a concussion, broken nose, and my left elbow will never be the same lol. I may go back to nogi grappling one day when I get all of my ducks in a row, but for now my hobbies are lifting, running, and firearms. Until then my blue belt is collecting dust on my shelf, but I will say it's one of my proudest achievements (maybe even more so than my B.S. in psychology).

I'm really looking forward to getting back to my lifting right now. I want to get my deadlift back to where I had it and make my way to 4 plates if at all possible. I may have to re-evaluate my 5x5 deal later on, but for now I'm just trying to get my body/joints used to lifting again.

The rules are usually no elbows and no knees to the head. We wear shin guards and head gear. When I fought there were no kicks to the head because one guy got a bad concussion in an in-house fight a few months before my fight. I think they allow head kicks now since the skill levels tends to be higher. Also, since they are exhibition fights if someone is getting pummeled the ref will step in and give them a chance to recover.

It sucks that you've accumulated so many injuries from BJJ, that seems to be a common issue with BJJ guys. At least you can still lift and run and they aren't completely affecting your ability to be active.

Ah OK, that should be nice then.

My last 10k (which was my first) I did OK, I'm really not a runner by any means but I completed it quicker than I thought I would - 53m, probably could have done it faster had I known the course - I had no idea how far I had gone or how far I had left at any stage, except when I reached the 5k mark!

The one next month is kind of similar to your situation by the sounds of it. There is an overweight guy at work who has used it as a motivation to get fit and it's for charity, so I'm running it with him. Unless he makes huge improvements within the month I can't see his pace being too fast, so I should be able to take it fairly easy.

Alright nice work, it's hard to pace yourself if they don't have mile markers. It's a good idea to have a watch with a timer on it so you can see how fast your miles are if they do have markers. Finishing a race can be rewarding no matter your time, how is your friends training going?

The rules are usually no elbows and no knees to the head. We wear shin guards and head gear. When I fought there were no kicks to the head because one guy got a bad concussion in an in-house fight a few months before my fight. I think they allow head kicks now since the skill levels tends to be higher. Also, since they are exhibition fights if someone is getting pummeled the ref will step in and give them a chance to recover.

It sucks that you've accumulated so many injuries from BJJ, that seems to be a common issue with BJJ guys. At least you can still lift and run and they aren't completely affecting your ability to be active.

Ah ok, well head kicks do take quite a bit of skill as far as I can tell in my limited striking experience. I'm not even sure I'm flexible enough to land one actually and the 5'7 height isn't helping either. Do they get a 10 count or something if the ref steps in?

It seems unavoidable to train injury free, everyone is always injured. All I know is I am now on any kind of voodoo supplement for joints in the hopes that I feel less achy after lifting (tripleflex and fish oil). Yeah I am fortunate that none of them are handicapping me and I feel really good as of right now, but last week my elbow was really uncomfortable for some reason. Just looking forward to gettin the ol' strength/cardio up.

5k easy jog

Didn't feel too bad, my knees were feeling kind of tight near the end there. Just trying to get back into running and work my way up to the good ol' 10k

Edit: Threw in some sledge hammer levering, trying to keep my wrists nice and healthy. They are really finicky and sometimes hurt for no reason.

Last edited:
Did some no-gi rolling today, talking about my jiu jitsu days and watching youtube videos led me to doing some rolling with one of my old training partners. We did 20 minutes of rolling with really brief breaks between subs. I got leg locked a lot (my friend has a knack for them), but I still managed to pull off a triangle from mount that I finished from my back as well as an americana from the crucifix position. I miss this damn sport.

Going to try to do some running tonight, hopefully if I post this sentence here that means I'm committed to doing it.

2 mile easy jog, just trying to keep the cardio up for now. My joints were a little tight from rolling today so I went easy. Feels good to run, I just need to keep up the frequency.

Squat
195lbs: 1x3, 4x5
-These felt pretty good, I cut my first set short because it felt like my shoes were sliding on the ground. I'm starting to suspect they don't clean the floor near it at my gym so I wiped down my treads and the floor so my feet don't slide out from under me like that one time a month or so ago.

SOHP
75lbs: 5x5
-They felt pretty good, but this is definitely one of my lifts that need the most improvement.

Deadlift (DOH)
195lbs: 5x5
-Felt pretty easy, I think I may transition to hook grip because my left elbow gives me a lot of hell.

Last edited:
Can you use chalk at your gym ?

2 mile easy jog. Just trying to loosen up and get ready for lifting tomorrow. I have a hard time stretching if I don't warm up a lot beforehand.

Just got an email from the 10k saying I didn't get a spot in the race from the lottery. Looks like I'm going to have to talk to the fiance and try to find another race. There is a half marathon in august that seems kind of fun, it's alien themed for some reason.

Edit: Going to be joining the ol' dead/bench comp here so I'm going to change my routine a little bit. I'm thinking of going with:

Day A
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
BORs 5x5
Pull up 3 sets of BW

Day B
Deadlifts 3x3 (worked for me in the past really well)
SOHP 5x5
Squats or front squats 5x5
Pull ups 3 sets of BW

Last edited:
today's lifting

Squat
bar: 1x15, 135lbs: 1x5, 195lbs: 1x5, 1x4, 3x3
-Sore as hell today, I had to do less reps or else fall in the hole.

Bench
135lbs: 5x5
-Pretty easy, gotta add some weight here

BORs (hook grip)
115lbs: 5x5
-Fairly easy, my thumb kept slipping out of my hook grip though - should have used some chalk or something.

SOHP
65lbs: 3x8
-Nothing special here, just trying to grease the groove since my SOHP sucks and also get some assistance in at the same time.

Pull Ups
BW: 10, 7, 5

Notes: I guess I need to stop drinking beer everyday and make sure I lift way more frequently because I did not recover at all from saturday.

Back