Rumored Makhachev vs Poirier + Chimaev vs Whittaker for UFC 294?

Khamzat should get the title shot next, wasting him against Whittaker is stupid.

I guess Poirier has a little name value, so maybe they want to milk his name one last time, but that fight doesn’t make any sense from a competitive standpoint.

That was only Islam speculating, while making it clear that he doesn't know anything. The UFC have stayed silent apart from saying that Volk 2 won't happen immediately.

Nothing is signed but this the most logical plan but if Dariush fights Oliveira then the next contender is known. I guess if Dariush wins it's on, if Oliveira wins then who knows ?

I love me some Dustin Poirier, and in the end would enjoy watching him get another shot at the belt. But there's just another guy we all know should be in for the next one first. Even Dustin himself said as much in a tweet about that guy. But is what it is, Dustin is the much more known name than Beneil to the casual crowd after he laid a couple of thumpings on Mcgregor.

He should defend against an actual LW. Volk had his chance and lost
Volk wants another crack at it. It makes no sense for him to go defend against Yair then drop the belt again to move up. They made the interim belt for that reason so Volk can exit the division.

I doubt the UFC puts Dustin in there vs Islam, Dustin has 0% chance of winning that fight

Volk wants another crack at it. It makes no sense for him to go defend against Yair then drop the belt again to move up. They made the interim belt for that reason so Volk can exit the division.

No they made that interim fight to chose a clear contender, the point of those belts is to unify it with the champ. Volk lost, his new challenge is now Yair, not Islam.

That’s a long ways away. Ufc making these superstars fight once a year wtf.

No they made that interim fight to chose a clear contender, the point of those belts is to unify it with the champ. Volk lost, his new challenge is now Yair, not Islam.
That doesn't make sense. You don't make a belt to choose a contender. They made the belt so Volk can leave the division. It just further screws up the division if he comes back to unify it just to leave again to try to challenge Islam one more time. They are going to make another interim again?

Whitaker & Chimaev about to HUGEEE if true

Beneil wins, give him the title shot. Have Gaethje rematch Poirier.

If Charles wins, then it's a pickem for Islam to fight Olivera/Poirier/Gaethje. Though Oliveria is least likely due to having recently fought Islam (and in Abu Dhabi as well).

I'd prefer the Volk rematch though. It was such a high level and entertaining fight. The rematch would probably better than any of the above matchups.

Oh boy seems like UFC are going to give US vets as many title shots as it takes to win a belt.

If Dariush beats Charles they give they shot to him

if Charles wins they probably give it to Justin after yesterdays performance

been saying this for a while but if Charles wins, it’ll be Volk islam 2 in Abu dhabi

Imagine this card…

islam vs Volk 2
Dustin vs Justin 2
khamzat vs Whittaker
Belal vs shavkhat

That doesn't make sense. You don't make a belt to choose a contender. They made the belt so Volk can leave the division. It just further screws up the division if he comes back to unify it just to leave again to try to challenge Islam one more time. They are going to make another interim again?

Interim belts are no more no less than N°1 contender spots. The winner takes on the champ. If Volk left the division for good then there will be a new championship fight, not interim belt. When Khabib left Oliveira fought Gaethje for the brand new championship belt, Oliveira won. That is all. And Volk said it himself, if he won against Islam he will make the back and forth between the two categories, he is still champ, he still has to fight contenders. Pretty clear to understand.

Wtf has Dustin done to earn a title shot. He's lost dominantly every title fight he's ever had. There's no debate on how him vs Islam would go

Poirier and Gaethje should not be fighting for a title any time soon, they would both need to win 2-3 more against other rising contenders.

Back