Man this Holloway hype all of a sudden is kinda much

Dude is one of the GOATs imo.

1. Fedor
2. GSP
3. Silva
4. JJ
5. Holloway

You have Holloway above Volk? How?

Max won his belt off a declining Aldo, then defended it against him. Then he beat Ortega, who didn't know how to strike and still doesn't, then he beats Frankie who was coming off a win over Cub and past it, then he lost to Volk and eventually lost to him another two times.

Max won his belt off a declining Aldo, then defended it against him. Then he beat Ortega, who didn't know how to strike and still doesn't, then he beats Frankie who was coming off a win over Cub and past it, then he lost to Volk and eventually lost to him another two times.
More success in multiple weight classes, longer overall tenure, multiple records held that probably won't be broken for another 5-8 years after he retires. Since it's an overall GOAT list, it makes sense from certain perspectives, since GOAT lists are just opinions anyway. Max also has an iron chin while holding the all time record for significant strikes absorbed, and has still never been KO'd or even knocked down (the deemed that last night was not a knock down against Justin).

Number 5 is subjective for me. There are a lot of good fighters to put on there, Volk, Matt Hughes, Aldo, Frankie Edgar, but I'd put Holloway just slightly over all of them.

2x undisputed FW champ who finished Aldo back to back. And his KO over JG is just an all time goat moment.

You can like Max more but he's not better than Volk.

You didn't hear?

Whatever happened THIS month is the greatest thing to ever happen in MMA. Not last month. Not next month. THIS month.

Islam is so dominate its kind of unfortunate. If not for him Max could really go on a run at 155 I think.

Flame away, dont care. But the immediate post fight hype these days is just annoying. A fighter has a great performance, now they are the greatest ever or the best to ever do whatever they did well in the fight. Yeah the end of the fight was cool, but they went toe to toe after Justin was already beat the fuck down and pretty much one punch away anyway. Fights like the ending of this fight was pretty common back in the early days of MMA. If he did that while both guys were fresh and KO'd him Id be more impressed. But with that said he did surprise me, I didnt think he has a chance in hell against Justin.

But to anyone who says that is one of the most badass moments in MMA, go watch Don Fry vs Takayama. I think the BMF title BS kind of built it up more than what it was. He went up and weight and had a good performance against a top LW, I didn't see much more than that.
What's equally annoying are the people that come on after a fight and say "so and so is actually not that good" weather they win or not. You're the exact inverse of the people that you find annoying.

Also, absolute garbage take that Frye vs Takayama was more badass than the end of round 5 last night

More success in multiple weight classes, longer overall tenure, multiple records held that probably won't be broken for another 5-8 years after he retires. Since it's an overall GOAT list, it makes sense from certain perspectives, since GOAT lists are just opinions anyway. Max also has an iron chin while holding the all time record for significant strikes absorbed, and has still never been KO'd or even knocked down (the deemed that last night was not a knock down against Justin).

The success in multiple weight classes is a bit iffy to me. He fought Dustin and got spanked, then he fought Justin, who has never been a champ (the BMF isn't real).

Meanwhile, Volk fought Islam twice, and was competitive as fuck in the first fight. There's an astronomical difference between fighting Islam and fighting Justin.

So Max has one win at LW, unless you're counting pre-UFC, but even then, Volk has more wins across more weight classes than him.

He has all his strike records because he basically went 5 rounds 8 times (almost 9 with Gahtje) in his last 10 fights, and isn't much of a finisher at the highest level.

Having the record for most strikes absorbed isn't really something to be proud of lol.

Not saying Max isn't amazing, but some of it is too hyped for me. I just see Volk as a much better fighter who did it easier.

Flame away, dont care. But the immediate post fight hype these days is just annoying. A fighter has a great performance, now they are the greatest ever or the best to ever do whatever they did well in the fight. Yeah the end of the fight was cool, but they went toe to toe after Justin was already beat the fuck down and pretty much one punch away anyway. Fights like the ending of this fight was pretty common back in the early days of MMA. If he did that while both guys were fresh and KO'd him Id be more impressed. But with that said he did surprise me, I didnt think he has a chance in hell against Justin.

But to anyone who says that is one of the most badass moments in MMA, go watch Don Fry vs Takayama. I think the BMF title BS kind of built it up more than what it was. He went up and weight and had a good performance against a top LW, I didn't see much more than that.
"I didn't see much more than that."

Here is a picture of TS......
1713136051975.png

I'm sure this has been said fifty times already, but: dude was already a legend, then this happened. It was movie shit. If you didn't love this, how can you even call yourself a fan of the sport?

Gadthje, that you?

I guarantee if you were on sherdog in 2002 and as miserly as you are now you would have made a similar thread downplaying Frye v Takayama. You're just old.

They just casuals. Max wins one fight against a guy who’s never won a championship before and matches up well stylistically against and suddenly he’s the goat.

What does that make volk then, who put max on a leash and dog walked him

I mean , what's the big deal? All the guy did was go up a weight class , have a great fight that he won against a guy most people thought was going to ko him and put an epic finish on things in the closing moments of the fight because he was feeling it. I saw an awesome fight once in 2003 !

What a fuckin clown.
Yeah, but it's been like 18 hours. People need to move the fuck on and settle down. Ancient history.

People need to calm down. I swear folks was proclaiming Max was over when he lost to Volk several times.

Unpopular opinion:
The fight did not live to the hype until the last 10 seconds and Max was the one to blame for that because he fought safe.

Change my mind. Spoiler: you won't

You clearly need to rewatch. Ignoring the ending, Max got dropped, his leg got battered. Gaethje got rocked multiple times and his face got fucked up. The ending was just the icing on the cake. Would have been fight of the night regardless.

I agree, narrative definitely changed; prior to this fight Max as Max himself said was "counted out".

Nobody cares about your mind enough to change it bro.
You cared enough to respond.. and I'm not your bro but you can call me daddy

You clearly need to rewatch. Ignoring the ending, Max got dropped, his leg got battered. Gaethje got rocked multiple times and his face got fucked up. The ending was just the icing on the cake. Would have been fight of the night regardless.
It wasn't even fight of the night for me. Too one sided for my taste. Oliveira vs Arman was a better fight and Rakic and Jiri had more back and fort.

consensus was that gaejthe would murder him. pretty sure max woulda gotten the UD over him to even if the KO didn't happen.
Max would have won an easy 50-45 or 49-46 at worst. I don't really care about pre-fight consensus.. the fight was a one sided affair with Justin getting just some legkicks and a few punches here and there.. after that he had nothing against Max.

Back