Martial Artists I need your help: Martial Arts Practicality

Being real here, I saw a fight break out late one night between two people in a train station, and the guy through three leg kicks and each one of them was so devoid of power that the other guy just tackled him to the floor, the two of them VERY nearly fell into the oncoming train, but thankfully their heads weren't over the edge.

I definitely think BEING takendown is a worry, because anyone can tackle you even if they don't know how to wrestle, but when it comes to leg kicks, even in professional fights leg kicks are used for attrition I wouldn't worry too much on them
It takes even pro kickboxers time before they manage to stop someone from leg kicks alone. Calf kicks meanwhile rarely hit at the nerve exactly so do not induce the dead leg. On the street with the lack of preparedness etc I would say the advantage is with the trained boxer to close the range past the kick and deliver the knock out punch versus the kickboxer is delivering the kick.

Last edited:
So, what does it prove? That you can wrestlefuck or KO somebody with a leg kicks in "honor duel" type of "street" fight?
The problem with kicks or takedowns on teh streets is that you need to move non-stop there, not stay on a spot throwing kicks or trying to clinch with your opponent (s).

A boxer will trade a leg kick for the chance to deliver his ko special on your jaw any day of the week...

Street vs cage techniques

One pro mma fighter. He recommends basic boxing, leg kicks, single leg takedowns, standing ground and pound only

Last edited:
Does martial arts training help or hinder an individual who's trying to defend themselves outside of the dojo or training environment? When you're studying martial arts in a controlled environment (tournament or classes) can it hinder someone if they get into a real life altercation because they've acclimated themselves to the fighting style?
The reason I asks is because I've thought about it after reading and watching television( bad but whatev.) For example, when Fred Ettich fought in one of the UFC bouts, he was a black belt in a traditional martial art and all of his training looked like it went out of the window when Jhonny Rhodes beat him senseless.
There's a website called "No Nonsense Self defense" where the creator of the site talks about street fighting, criminal behavior, etc. The creator, according to his website is a martial artist, former bouncer, and bodyguard.

Any feedback is appreciated.
A couple videos for your interest:

And if you have enough time:

Does martial arts training help or hinder an individual who's trying to defend themselves outside of the dojo or training environment? When you're studying martial arts in a controlled environment (tournament or classes) can it hinder someone if they get into a real life altercation because they've acclimated themselves to the fighting style?
The reason I asks is because I've thought about it after reading and watching television( bad but whatev.) For example, when Fred Ettich fought in one of the UFC bouts, he was a black belt in a traditional martial art and all of his training looked like it went out of the window when Jhonny Rhodes beat him senseless.
There's a website called "No Nonsense Self defense" where the creator of the site talks about street fighting, criminal behavior, etc. The creator, according to his website is a martial artist, former bouncer, and bodyguard.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Obviously training for fighting is detrimental in a fight.

<{katwhu}>

It's 90% mental. And these things can switch around during a fight, or even hard sparring.

It's the same between dogs.

Last edited:
This is some playground Karateka who's never gotten punched in his life.

No wonder grappling thrived in the UFC.

Usually not full contact. (yes I have visited them. looked like Aikido cooperation).
our competition team training practices are the hardest jits practices at our gyms. It’s practically fight club on the mats when their training

our competition team training practices are the hardest jits practices at our gyms. It’s practically fight club on the mats when their training

Kron Gracie didn't look like he ever done a takedown in his life (I don't count pulling guard as a takedown) and he was from "Gracie Jiujitsu". So it probably doesn't matter which branch of BJJ it is.

Kron Gracie didn't look like he ever done a takedown in his life (I don't count pulling guard as a takedown) and he was from "Gracie Jiujitsu". So it probably doesn't matter which branch of BJJ it is.
well then, I stand corrected. I’ll tell the team they can stop throwing each other around with such gusto

I've never been kicked by a leg kick so I honestly don't have experience but I've seen ppl get fucked up by one leg kick and would not like to experience that

Be aware that kickboxers generally train barefoot on mats with shorts, on generally even and consistent surface. In the streets, it'd be concrete, with all kinds of obstructions, and likely with pants. There's the threat of takedowns too. That would dissuade most kickboxers from kicking. Very high risk if the kick isn't effective. Factor in the adrenaline dump and the other guy might not even feel the first couple of hits. You may not want to grapple because of hidden weapons or the guy is bigger than you. Even KB will likely resort to punches at the beginning to set up other things.

So boxing IMO would be more effective than KB or MT for situations in general.

All would be more or less equal if the practitioner spar or compete. Stress testing and applying against a non-compliant opponent is probably more important than any set of technique.

Back