Marvel's new X-Men reboot will be "Female Centric"

Holy shit I had no idea they got the same people who fucked up Dark Phoenix to do Dark Phoenix again...

Wouldn't be surprising if Disney hires them to fuck it up for a 3rd time.

You'd think Disney, being a greedy corporate entity, would learn from box office bomb after box office bomb that being woke is not financially viable.

As a guy that rushed to the theaters every time Marvel would release a movie pre-2019... I can still cling on to HOPE damn it :((
Well um... good luck with that.

Every time they fail and flop, they just virtue signal harder. It's like they have a fetish for losing money, the more the better.

Does that mean films for men with a very large arse? Maybe give The Whale a watch?

I think the fact your getting another Jackman Wolverine film with Deadpool perhaps shows you the MCU likely isnt planning on making him a lead character in the short term.

To me Rogue actually looks like the most obvious character to push simply because she's never really been a big focus previously, more of a plot device. Seems potentially much more interesting as a character than Captain Marvel.

Hundreds of millions of adults around the world enjoy this genre. There aren't "outliers". Some adults enjoy action, some humor, even cheesy ones, some violence, some grittiness, there's something for everyone. No one knows what movies appeal to you or what ticks your boxes for "grown-arse" criteria. Movies in this genre are very frequently discussed in the Mayberry, with many good sherdoggers reviewing them here. If you truly are interested, feel free to browse and read the reviews and see if it ticks your boxes.
Personally I increasingly find my viewing spilt between pulpy cinema and "serious" arty cinema with less and less room for mainstream "adult drama".

Art cinema often gets called "pretentious", sometimes it is of course but I would argue actually mainstream Hollywood adult drama of the last 30+ years has tended much more strongly towards being "pretentious". Films which look to style themselves as serious artistic statements but are often very uninspired artistically and actually fall back to very simplistic shmaltzy drama(very often looking to piggyback on real history), cinema aimed at people who like to think of themselves as having adult tastes whilst really just wanting a fairly simple formula served up to them.

Pulp cinema as well I feel often ends up being much more inspired, even if its lacking any great depth those making it have more talent/style.

Last edited:
If "female centric" means it's gonna be feminist and preach then I'm out.

On the other hand, if it means they cast a great actress and focus on e.g. Rogue's origin story and introduce the X-Men through her eyes like back in the day (but better), then I'm all aboard. There is a lot of potential for good drama and fun in that character and setup. Just take it slooow - make super powers seem special again. We don't need galactic explosions all over the place.

Get Alfonso Cuaron to direct if at all possible. A director with vision who makes action seems grounded and real.

Part of the issue with the female-led films have been that it's hard to find the right actresses. There are quite a few female dramatic leads, there some good comediennes... but women who do physical acting well are few and far between in Hollywood - and even rarer is the actress who can put all three together, which is what a Marvel film requires (Geena Davis did it great, Sigourney Weaver might be the GOAT, Angelina Jolie was good when she was younger... and I personally think Marilyn Monroe would have killed it in the Marvel era with the right role).

At this point, what does it even matter? They haven't made a good X-men movie in God knows how long, and the superhero genre in general is dying. If they want to throw their money into an incinerator and go down flailing trying to find a pulse on the MSheU, let 'em.

As another already said, Fox did that and it flopped.

It’s like Disney thinks that staying “woke” will eventually work in their favor and act surprised every single time when their movies bomb. Deadpool will really give them a second chance to get the MCU booming again and rather than just develop a natural story for the X-Men (arguably their biggest asset) that’s already full of diversity all around they have to really double down on the panderverse here.

I don't believe it honestly. There is so much BS rumors in the comic book\marvel industry. They also like to focus on the "woke" stuff because it brings them clicks. I see tons of it on my FB feed to the point I just had to start blocking all of it until FB got the clue that I didn't want to see it anymore.

No offense taken. But it's weird you had to come into a thread about a genre you clearly don't like, just to tell people you don't like it.
Dude is a doofus, ignore him.

I wouldnt mind focusing on that blue one
I am down for dem hot x-chicks for sure, jean grey, rogue, storm.

Maybe throw in a cool wolverine and colossus or something and all good.

Would actualy prefre no cyclops or gambit.

What does "female centric" even mean in this context? The original movie series was Wolverine centric. Jean Grey was the love interest and Storm was kind of just there. If they mean to flesh out those characters I don't think anyone will complain. But they need to steer far clear of whatever they were doing in She Hulk. No girl boss characters, they are oversaturated and annoying.

They are saying the same about the Blade remake. Not sure if disney is trolling or they really think the green hair Soymunculi really will pay the bills

Back