Matt Damon-Great Wall : Flops in the US.

Sounds like speculation.

Lol ok. You think the actors that are already huge stars are the only people working? Where do you think stars come from. They're made by the studios. it's not like the big names are the only good actors in the world, and in fact many of them are very overrated. They're just familiar.

A movie called "Great Wall" that is not historically accurate didn't interest me at all. Just a silly concept.

Ah but that's TV. In TV you see more diversity because the budgets are smaller and the casts are larger. Glenn from The Walking Dead is a good example more recently.

They all went on to movies. John Cho plays one of the main characters in Star Trek today. That's big time.

Come on, he was a samurai! That's definitely a stereotypical role for an Asian.

He got big first in Japan and his first big cross over movie was The Last Samurai. But he didn't make it up through Hollywood. And really, that was one movie that definitely needed Asian actors. You can't white wash Samurai in Japan.

He was a Samurai in The Last Samurai. A businessman in Inception. A scientist in Godzilla.

There are always going to be fewer Asian stars than white ones but I find it hard to believe there was no decent Asian actress who could play Kusanagi.

I dunno, like I said, I can think of Rinko Kikuchi and that's it.

Maybe someone else is out there. Who knows.

Let me ask you, would you feel better if it was Lucy Liu?

Honestly, couldn't they find anyone else who is a better actress, Asian or not?

I really like ScarJo and think she'll do great.

Same here tbh. She's a shit actress. So she's got big tits big deal.
117882-Scarlett-Johansson-hot-boobs-g-OyUt.gif

They all went on to movies. John Cho plays one of the main characters in Star Trek today. That's big time.
That's why TV is a better starting point for actors who don't fit the mold studios look for. They can prove themselves there and make the jump later. Look at Bryan Cranston, he only got recognized after Breaking Bad but after that got some decent film roles.
He was a Samurai in The Last Samurai. A businessman in Inception. A scientist in Godzilla.
Well, I would say Asians never get big roles or only get stereotypical roles but that is the general trend. Watanabe has bucked it though, good for him.

Lucy Liu is a little old but I would've preferred her over ScarJo.
Again, this is not my job and neither is it yours. The casting director could've looked for an Asian actress. Maybe they did but I, and many others, really doubt it.
I don't really like, pretty tired of her at this point.

Acting is one of those pursuits where 99% don't make it, talented or not. Like Kafir said we don't know who these potential up and comers are, because hollywood casts very few asians in anything. Unless the character being asian is essential to the plot, in which case it's usually ridiculously stereotypical, they don't cast asians.

Naming the 4 or 5 guys to break through and get cast as something other than Yakuza, samurai, or doctor in the last twenty years is kind of the point.

That's why TV is a better starting point for actors who don't fit the mold studios look for. They can prove themselves there and make the jump later. Look at Bryan Cranston, he only got recognized after Breaking Bad but after that got some decent film roles.

Well, I would say Asians never get big roles or only get stereotypical roles but that is the general trend. Watanabe has bucked it though, good for him.

Lucy Liu is a little old but I would've preferred her over ScarJo.
Again, this is not my job and neither is it yours. The casting director could've looked for an Asian actress. Maybe they did but I, and many others, really doubt it.

I don't really like, pretty tired of her at this point.

In the future I think avenues like Netflix, Hulu, amazon etc will pave the way for more minorities to get movie roles. They've caught on to the fact that the average american viewer will not freak out if every actor in every show isn't white. Blackish, Fresh off the boat, The mindy project, jane the virgin, Luke Cage, etc.

America has a LOT of nonwhite people and they want to see themselves represented onscreen. honestly the movie industry is decades behind pop culture.

In the future I think avenues like Netflix, Hulu, amazon etc will pave the way for more minorities to get movie roles. They've caught on to the fact that the average american viewer will not freak out if every actor in every show isn't white. Blackish, Fresh off the boat, The mindy project, jane the virgin, Luke Cage, etc.

America has a LOT of nonwhite people and they want to see themselves represented onscreen. honestly the movie industry is decades behind pop culture.
Yeah those platforms seem more likely to take risks and that's what I like about them.

Agatha Christie is one of my favorite authors and Murder on the Orient Express is one of my favorite stories. The lead character, Hercule Poirot, is a Belgian detective and most of the stories are set in England and are full of English people. MOTOE features all Europeans. However, recently Japan did a localized version of the story for TV with all the roles re-written as Japanese people. Should I as a white person, or should Europeans as Europeans, be upset about this?

Sepuku on the shinkansen?

I see what you're saying but who would you have cast as Kusanagi? I can't think of many good Asian actresses off the top of my head, much less a Japanese one.

Overrated in looks and talent.
How about the chick from Agent of Shield? Chloe Bennet. She's part Asian.

The movie looks like dog crap and has terrible CGI.

Like doomsday BvS level of bad CGI

I heard an interview about how China is increasing its role in Hollywood. Through financing and allowing pro-china films into the country. Basically why this movie was made and why the Chinese space program came to the rescue in The Martian.

They were building cinemas at a rate of 27 screens a day at one point last year.

I heard an interview about how China is increasing its role in Hollywood. Through financing and allowing pro-china films into the country. Basically why this movie was made and why the Chinese space program came to the rescue in The Martian.

They were building cinemas at a rate of 27 screens a day at one point last year.
In the Martian book China helped out the U.S. so it had nothing to do with China's role in Hollywood.

I don't speak for all asians, but I guess we really don't care about this cultural appropriation stuff. They're too busy having successful careers and being the highest income bracket. I said "they" because I'm still poor.

Back