Mayra Bueno Silva: “Nobody Wants to Watch this Fight”

4axc2q.jpg
morgan-freeman-meme-hes-right-you-know-blank-traffic-club-53644125 copy.jpg

If they ever want WMMA to garner interest, they have to stop filling it up with these Amanda Nunes-Cris Cyborg types. Even if they're the best, they're still not that good.

Go full WWE and bring in nothing but chicks that look like models. That would draw.

It’s a little fucked up that she popped and was suspended by the NSAC in her last fight. But she holds the ranking as if she had won. And she gets to fight for the belt in her next fight?

If her meds are legit etc, that’s one thing. But why wouldn’t she apply for a TUE? Is the drug NEVER allowed? Even with a TUE?

As for nobody wanting to watch this. Nobody knows who she is. So don’t put it all on Rocky.

For me, the problem is that it feels like a fake championship fight. Amanda retired, the division is awful, and now we have two very mediocre fighters fighting for a title. The fact that, after this fight, one of these women will get to call herself a "UFC champion" seems absurd.

In a recent interview, Silva admits nobody wants to watch her fight for the belt against Pennington.

Silva states:
“On paper, it’s not a good fight because nobody wants to watch this fight – I know,” Bueno Silva told Middle Easy. “This fight on paper is no good. But I promise I will give a big show for everybody. Everybody (will go) home and think about, ‘Hey, this girl Mayra Bueno Silva is the chosen one.'”

I consider myself a long time fan of mma… but I have to admit, this is the title fight I’m least interested in watching spanning over 2 decades of watching mma - and it’s not a knock on wmma - thoroughly enjoy watching some women fighters like Nunes, Cyborg, Zhang, etc.

Any Sherbro interested in watching this fight? Anyone? Anyone?
Me. I'm probably Sheetara's biggest fan on this board and I'm super excited to see her win the belt against Pennington.

Is this where I'm supposed to post about meeting Pennington at an airport?

I did and she was super cool in person, first time meeting a professional fighter.

I'm rooting for Silva to do what she is saying she will. If she finishes Pennington or beats the crap out of her I will be interested in her next fights.

In a recent interview, Silva admits nobody wants to watch her fight for the belt against Pennington.

Silva states:
“On paper, it’s not a good fight because nobody wants to watch this fight – I know,” Bueno Silva told Middle Easy. “This fight on paper is no good. But I promise I will give a big show for everybody. Everybody (will go) home and think about, ‘Hey, this girl Mayra Bueno Silva is the chosen one.'”

I consider myself a long time fan of mma… but I have to admit, this is the title fight I’m least interested in watching spanning over 2 decades of watching mma - and it’s not a knock on wmma - thoroughly enjoy watching some women fighters like Nunes, Cyborg, Zhang, etc.

Any Sherbro interested in watching this fight? Anyone? Anyone?

Not especially, but I will watch it and if it's a banger, then I'll be plenty happy.

Can’t imagine either of those as a UFC champ. She’s right, no one cares

<Fedor23>

Imagine if MBS finishes Pennington, beats Pena (ideally by stoppage), and then finishes Tate--there's actually a pretty decent chance of this happening, but its certainly not a lock.

Nunes obviously has big shoes to fill, but if MBS keeps finishing fights and lets her personality shine a bit, 135 lbs could look a whole lot different in a year. She's Brazilian too, speaks better English than Nunes, and also LGBT.

it doesnt really hold a lot of weight as a title fight. and you WANT title fights to hold weight.
Pennington is a tough bish but she got the absolute shit beaten out of her by Nunes. nose broken and blood leaking everywhere. if she wins the championship itll only be because Nunes is retired.
MBS just got a No Contest in her last fight which was her biggest win against Holm. she also doesnt have a great resume outside of Holm. if she wins the belt Pennington will be her next best win. but she still is coming into a title fight off of a No Contest.

point being - these are some of the lowest stakes for a title fight ive seen. and the division will have one of the weakest champs in the UFC no matter who wins.
holding out that MBS snatches up a submission. Pennington has some nice chokes but she's more of a grinder and usually isnt very exciting.

its little wonder why most people dont care about this fight. Rousey's gone, Nunes' gone, Holm just lost and isnt in a position to fight for the belt and Tate only has a 2-2 record since coming back to the UFC, neither win being against a top level fighter. there's your entire famous WMMA bantamweight roster. one gigantic MEH. no surprise they sandwiched this fight in between Strickland/DDP title fight and Magny/Malott, because otherwise no one would watch it.

Its Mayras job to make it exciting. Just keep your back out of the fence!

Pennington actually believe it or not used to have watchable fights. Vs Andrade x2, Duke at tuf, the bulldog choke vs Smith....awesome stuff.
These last years been rough

it doesnt really hold a lot of weight as a title fight. and you WANT title fights to hold weight.
Pennington is a tough bish but she got the absolute shit beaten out of her by Nunes. nose broken and blood leaking everywhere. if she wins the championship itll only be because Nunes is retired.
MBS just got a No Contest in her last fight which was her biggest win against Holm. she also doesnt have a great resume outside of Holm. if she wins the belt Pennington will be her next best win. but she still is coming into a title fight off of a No Contest.

point being - these are some of the lowest stakes for a title fight ive seen. and the division will have one of the weakest champs in the UFC no matter who wins.
holding out that MBS snatches up a submission. Pennington has some nice chokes but she's more of a grinder and usually isnt very exciting.

its little wonder why most people dont care about this fight. Rousey's gone, Nunes' gone, Holm just lost and isnt in a position to fight for the belt and Tate only has a 2-2 record since coming back to the UFC, neither win being against a top level fighter. there's your entire famous WMMA bantamweight roster. one gigantic MEH. no surprise they sandwiched this fight in between Strickland/DDP title fight and Magny/Malott, because otherwise no one would watch it.
Summed up nicely!

I'll watch, because it's a fight. But I'm not expecting much out of it.

Silva always brings the ruckus. I'm always excited to tune in and see her throw down. I've never seen her in a boring fight.

Back