*** 'McGregor Forever' - Netflix Documentary Discussion Mega Thread ***

Every documentary I saw about sports, or about a single athlete, even if I don't like the guy, it's interesting to see how things work in the backstage, the preparations, the organizations, etc. You always end up learning a bit more about the sport/business as a whole so I think it's worth the time.

Haven't watched it because I'm not a big fan of documentaries about sportsmen (nature documentaries are something totally different) and if I had to choose I would most probably rather re-watch "Smashing Machine" than watch McG-Netflix-Docu, but thanks for your input!

TS watching the Conor doc and liking it like...

5kKW.gif

dont share your gay bedroom fantasies here...

What is sherdog for, if not sharing our gay bedroom fantasies? And I'm not really sure what part of my post falls into that category, either, but TS seems to have thrown you a pity like. Maybe I'm just not seeing it...

Hard no.

There is tons of MMA in this world to watch. ONE, Rizin, ACA, Bellator, PFL, and more. If you're watching the mcregor documentary over any of those promotions, you're effectively disqualified from calling yourself an MMA fan.

Don't watch a documentary about the biggest mma star in history or you're not an mma fan...
ff.gif

Thanks for cliffs. I'm not watching, but I like hearing breakdowns from others. I hated Conor and his fans during most of his run, but I like him more as he embraces the villain in himself openly. I hate it when people hide the villain that resides in them, because there is one in all of us.

I'd expect all MMA fans will give a watch at least once. It was an interesting watch, don't watch expecting to see a balanced documentary. The hint is in the title, it's called McGregor Forever - it's clearly meant to promote Conor and his legacy. It also let's his fans hang onto the idea that a 100% McGregor would have beaten Khabib and that Khabib ducked a rematch. If it helps those guys get over the collective trauma that Khabib gave them then I'm all for it.
I have watched it at least 11 times
The greatest documentary ever made!

Its amazing. Literally 3 whole episodes are based on fights where he got his ass kicked.

Not a mcgregor fan boy by any means but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

say what you want about the man but he’s never (as far as I can remember) pulled out of a fight. You see in his prep all the injuries he has to deal with, and you see in the doc he has plenty of opportunities to pull out but he didn’t. That speaks volumes.

Here are my personal HL’s from the doc:
-Seeing mcgregor actually do his community service in a church in Brooklyn after the Bus incident
-Seeing mcgregor embrace fatherhood
-Mcgregors reaction to Khabibs retirement
-Mcgregors training regiment change pre-Covid to Covid time
-The cage side angles of Mcgregor-Khabib, Mcgregor-Cowboy and Mcgregor-Porier 2&3 were awesome to watch.

definitely recommend, even if it is a puff piece at times.

Downloaded it to watch on the plane to my holiday destination and it was really cool to see what's going on behind the scenes. Was it a coloured series to make McGregor look good? Sure, but not as much as I expected. I think it's actually a fairly accurate take on went on in the post-Mayweather area.

The only thing that's really left out of the equation is his hardcore partying and drinking, but we already know that this, alongside the distractions of business ventures (which are surprisingly minimized in the series) definitely played a negative factor in his fighting career.

It's focused mainly on the 2018-2021 timeline, his downfall years, so to speak, There's a lot of training footage shown, as well as the coping with injuries, the impact of the pandemic, and him growing into a family man.

It also does confirm that his foot was indeed a ballewn while in camp for Khabib, and that the shin was compromised during the Poirier 3 camp. However, we also already know that almost no fighter comes out of a grueling training camp 100% fresh and unscathed before the actual fight.

I still think there's a part of McGregor that's a delusional and occasionally deranged shitbag of a person that doesn't shy away from doing heinous shit, but I don't really see the point of making a moral judgement on his character either, it's all entertainment at the end of the day. And the series was definitely entertaining. Made me wanna go train too.

So, without further ado...

LET THE BATTLE COMMENCE.

boo-this-man-boo.gif

I have only skimmed it to the bits closer to the Khabib and Poirier fights - skipped the Cowboy fight episode.

For me I think my main criticism of it as a docu as opposed to him as a person is that I don't know that it goes that much further than a 'Thrill and Agony' in terms of giving insight. The bits in the dressing room before and after the fights are interesting on a human reaction level but how much training footage can you really watch and what more does it tell you about a fighter than the stuff they put in hype videos?

Imo its not an incisive portrait of his descent into insanity because it leaves out most of that descent and plays off the bus attack as a nadir for him personally followed by a redemption arc of him like sweeping a church and training to come back.

I would be interested if someone made a McGregor doc in style of 'Tyson' where there is extended sit down interview with him talking openly about all the bad shit that he has done as well as the rise of when he was on top. We're a long way away from getting that documentary though and indeed we might never because he's still legally fighting to supress many allegations against him as it is.

There is already a mega thread about this tbf and the discussion has been down quite extensively so this will probably get merged.

Every MMA fan should watch this. Doesn't matter if you love the guy, hate the guy, or feel indifferent. It's not going to change your opinion about how you already feel but it's a great look into the inner workings of MMA.

Every MMA fan should watch this. Doesn't matter if you love the guy, hate the guy, or feel indifferent. It's not going to change your opinion about how you already feel but it's a great look into the inner workings of MMA.

<{1-9}><{1-17}><JennieThumbsUp>

Casual of the year, confirmed.

I haven’t watched all of it but pretty disappointing so far. Doesn’t really show us a ton we haven’t already seen in some capacity. Also kind of glosses over the controversies and never really shows the nitty gritty. Don’t really get to find out much about the man behind the myth either as Conor always is very aware he’s being filmed and usually talking directly to the camera. It comes off more like a McGregor hype fluff piece than a real hard hitting documentary.

<{anton}>{<redford}

Back