McGregor has entered Chuck Liddell territory

Chuck was a highly entertaining knockout artist. But then he did a cement mixer worth of cocaine and turned into a guy who shouldn’t fight anymore.

Conor also resembles BJ Penn. Someone who was extremely skilled in his prime that built a large following, but who stayed on way too long.

McGregor is following their path. There is no financial reason for him to continue fighting. His body isn’t there anymore. He had an ACL surgery before he even won the belts, he’s been on borrowed time for at least 6 years.

He should have retired after the Floyd fight.

kind of lame to compare a loudmouth asshole who cannot back up his fantastical ego with chuck who did for a long ass time without acting like an asshole.

this is a veiled attempt to raise conor up by falsely comparing him to actually great fighters.

conor sucks and its time you all get on board.

Hell no. Chandler is finish what Mendes started.

Gaethje has atrocious stand up defense and relies on his chin. He's literally ate a face punch before to land a leg kick.

Who gives out first? Gaethje's consciousness or McGregor's legs?
You described old Gaethje. The new and improved formula is pretty damned technical on his feet.

Comparing him to BJ Penn and Chuck Liddell, two guys who actually had more than one weapon in their arsenal, and who are actually legitimate legends in the sport, is insulting. He’s no where near their caliber as a fighter and never was.

How dare you mention Chuck and Conrad's names in the same sentence! 'Tis Heresy!! Chuck was a badass, McGregle is a flash in the pan.

You described old Gaethje. The new and improved formula is pretty damned technical on his feet.
I saw the old Gaethje in the Khabib fight. The only time I saw a "patient" Gaethje was against Ferguson and I think that's because Gaethje finally ran into a striker more wild then him who also severely lacks head movement and relies on chin for defense.

conor was always a special fighter. there are plenty of pre-ufc conor threads in the worldwide mma forum where we were all psyched to see him wreck shit in europe and get a shot in the ufc.

i never saw him becoming the transcendent star that he is but he was destined to be a champion and he lived up to all those expectations. he lost the motivation and likely doesn’t train much anymore, but that won’t change what he’s done. there really isn’t any other fighter he could be compared to.

like someone else said though, he should have retired after the mayweather fight. he’s got nothing to prove.

There’s still more money to be made, and he’s leveraging the UFC to make more money. Had he beat Dustin in their second fight, he’s fighting Pac-Man for $50 millions or more.

Chuck's run was much more impressive than Conor's. Was not aware he had issues with coke. Is that hearsay or something that he has admitted to?

In his book he talks about staying up till 6am partying with hookers before his title defences.

True facts
Lidell used to party with my fraternity in San Luis Obispo back around 2005
He was well known for busting rails and fucking 18 year olds

That's awesome. Though I could do without the cocaine, personally.

Chuck was a highly entertaining knockout artist. But then he did a cement mixer worth of cocaine and turned into a guy who shouldn’t fight anymore.

Conor also resembles BJ Penn. Someone who was extremely skilled in his prime that built a large following, but who stayed on way too long.

McGregor is following their path. There is no financial reason for him to continue fighting. His body isn’t there anymore. He had an ACL surgery before he even won the belts, he’s been on borrowed time for at least 6 years.

Since the Floyd fight was a non-MMA freak show, I'd say before. I think he could be relevant, but he doesn't have the drive to be great any more.

I feel it was more Chucks chin that had gone, he was not getting beaten up in the fights, he was just getting put out cold with 1 shot
True, true. Even in his final (UFC) fight with Rich Franklin at age 40, he looked good and in great shape, but got starched by a back-footed arm punch while advancing against a hurt Rich. It's a punch that wouldn't have even staggered Chuck in his prime. He would have knocked Rich out cold in that exchange for sure. But instead, after his chin was cracked by Rampage and Rashad, Chuck was knocked dead by a relatively weak punch. And then after that even feather fist-ed Tito put him out cold with one shot.

rich-franklin-knockout-chuck-liddell-ufc-115.gif

tenor.gif

Lol what fight did you watch? Dustin got tagged in the opening bell then almost got choked out in a gulliotine to where he had to use his toes on the fence to escape then got elbowed to shit. Dustin wouldn’t have even been in a dominant position if it weren’t for Conor dropping for the choke.

lol. Conor resorted to panic wrestling again after DP blasted him across the cage with a combination. If he hadn’t dropped for the panic guillotine he would’ve found trouble some other way.

It’s not enough for Conor to look good for 60 seconds. He needs to finish the fight. Because it’s all downhill from there.

Come on man. I love you and all, but Chuck was getting KO'd by the wind. Conor is a far cry from Chuck.

I saw the old Gaethje in the Khabib fight. The only time I saw a "patient" Gaethje was against Ferguson and I think that's because Gaethje finally ran into a striker more wild then him who also severely lacks head movement and relies on chin for defense.

He was patient in all the fights since the two losses. He wasn’t impatient vs KN, he was just doing what he had to do to avoid the takedown.

Sorry to pop in here but I don’t agree that you saw the old gaethje in the Khabib fight. That was honestly the first time I can recall him being walked down, it was certainly the first time he ever looked beaten before a fight started. That JG wasn't the aggressor and he looked totally spent almost immediately. That Gaethje looked like a shell of anything he ever was in my opinion

I'm Conor's coke dealer. He doesn't do enough in my opinion. He should do more. I have to put my kids through college. Let's go!!!
Hey homie are you cutting that shit with bath salts? I’ve never seen someone get that out of hand that quickly on blow.

He was patient in all the fights since the two losses. He wasn’t impatient vs KN, he was just doing what he had to do to avoid the takedown.
He had 3 first round KO in a row. I know Barboza and Vick got out of there pretty quick and he just beat Cowboy all around the cage.

It wasn't a change in style or more patience. It was a drop off in level of opponent.

Back