Melee Weapon

I'd want a Langes Messer, personally. Or some other variant of short sword, like a type XIV arming sword or a wakizashi. I'd say a Langes Messer is ideal because they're equally dangerous in both the cut and the thrust, they're short enough that they're not going to be a hindrance in confined spaces, they have adequate hand protection that doesn't affect the point of balance (like on a basket-hilt sword, for instance), the clipped point means it is viable for short-edge cuts and also won't ever cut your hand if you half-sword it (like a double-edged sword can if you're clumsy gripping the blade).

Attachments

• Gottfried-M3C-Messer.jpg
    Gottfried-M3C-Messer.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 7
Melee weapons in the hands of most people are only going to escalate the situation to someplace most are never ready to take it. Don’t pull a bat on an intruder unless you are really absolutely willing and ready to cave his skull in; don’t pull a sword on an intruder unless you’re willing and ready to hack him down with it. Otherwise you’re putting the bad guy into a situation where he may feel compelled to use violence, and you never planned on doing anything more than deterring, and it’s highly likely the bad guy is better at violence than you are.

Also as soon as you have more than one intruder, you have a much much bigger problem with your melee weapon.

This true with any weapon, it's useless as a threat. This is why I support castle doctrine and stand your ground. Well one of the reasons. If I pull a weapon I'm going to use it unless the attacker does something to completely change the situation.

Melee weapons in the hands of most people are only going to escalate the situation to someplace most are never ready to take it. Don’t pull a bat on an intruder unless you are really absolutely willing and ready to cave his skull in; don’t pull a sword on an intruder unless you’re willing and ready to hack him down with it. Otherwise you’re putting the bad guy into a situation where he may feel compelled to use violence, and you never planned on doing anything more than deterring, and it’s highly likely the bad guy is better at violence than you are.

Also as soon as you have more than one intruder, you have a much much bigger problem with your melee weapon.

This true with any weapon, it's useless as a threat. This is why I support castle doctrine and stand your ground. Well one of the reasons. If I pull a weapon I'm going to use it unless the attacker does something to completely change the situation.
GOsh this is scary bros. How many of that intruders are there lol. Oh, I would def use it if I meet an intruder. I just don't want a weapon that can possibly kill them with one or two strikes. A baton is very good recommendation imo.

GOsh this is scary bros. How many of that intruders are there lol. Oh, I would def use it if I meet an intruder. I just don't want a weapon that can possibly kill them with one or two strikes. A baton is very good recommendation imo.

It's up to you. You have to make the decision. Do you have a family to protect? You have to live or die with your choices.

A baton is a terrible recommendation for home defense. Assume any intruder is well-armed, and assume they have the worst possible intent. If someone were to break into my house, I would be working under the assumption that they have multiple concealed weapons (pistols, knives) and the intention to murder me. Anything else is asking to be a statistic.

A baton is a terrible recommendation for home defense. Assume any intruder is well-armed, and assume they have the worst possible intent. If someone were to break into my house, I would be working under the assumption that they have multiple concealed weapons (pistols, knives) and the intention to murder me. Anything else is asking to be a statistic.
We can't wield guns here in my country, thats why I am asking for melees. Do you have any melee recommendation?

We can't wield guns here in my country, thats why I am asking for melees. Do you have any melee recommendation?
Same here, sadly.

I'd recommed a short, straight sword. In my opinion, the ideal weapon for home defense, barring a gun, would be a Langes Messer.

A Langes Messer has a true edge generally terminating in a slight upwards curve, a clipped point with a sharp false edge. This make it a nasty cut-and-thrust sword. As it is only partly double edged, you can halfsword (use it like a short spear, as a lever to facilitate grappling, or just to shorten the length if the situation requires) without risk of cutting your own hand. The cross and Nagel offer good hand protection without being cumbersome like a later developed hilt sword. And the handle tends to swell towards the pommel-end so that it won't slip out of your hand (blood or sweat) or be pulled away from you. Imagine a Bowie knife scaled up, that's a Langes Messer (pic related). The only disadvantage of a Langes Messer generally is they're fairly short (I think mine is about 90cm long), but that's an advantage in enclosed spaces.

Attachments

• IMG_20230107_120954_508.jpg
    IMG_20230107_120954_508.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 4
Same here, sadly.

I'd recommed a short, straight sword. In my opinion, the ideal weapon for home defense, barring a gun, would be a Langes Messer.

A Langes Messer has a true edge generally terminating in a slight upwards curve, a clipped point with a sharp false edge. This make it a nasty cut-and-thrust sword. As it is only partly double edged, you can halfsword (use it like a short spear, as a lever to facilitate grappling, or just to shorten the length if the situation requires) without risk of cutting your own hand. The cross and Nagel offer good hand protection without being cumbersome like a later developed hilt sword. And the handle tends to swell towards the pommel-end so that it won't slip out of your hand (blood or sweat) or be pulled away from you. Imagine a Bowie knife scaled up, that's a Langes Messer (pic related). The only disadvantage of a Langes Messer generally is they're fairly short (I think mine is about 90cm long), but that's an advantage in enclosed spaces.
My country rules are pretty stupid bro. I don't want to risk killing robber cause I might get jailed even though it is for self defense, that's why I chose baton. Someone almost got jailed for it but luckily he won the case. But I agree, if I can do it in the name of self defense I would choose swords or create my own spear haha.

My country rules are pretty stupid bro. I don't want to risk killing robber cause I might get jailed even though it is for self defense, that's why I chose baton. Someone almost got jailed for it but luckily he won the case. But I agree, if I can do it in the name of self defense I would choose swords or create my own spear haha.
Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. I think if you don't chase down a fleeing intruder or continue after the threat has been mitigated, and call an ambulance/police immediately you should be fine even if they die.

I could decapitate a horse with this nasty bitch.
full

Holy cow that's really cool hahaha. Do you think it can block knife though?

Youtube reviews of people trying to destroy it. It can most likely block melee weapons but not guns or high powered crossbows.

This one has them shooting the thing but I don't think they used good testing methodology -

This is the video that sold me on it -

A buckler can be bad if you don't know how to use it. It should mostly be used to put up a "cone of defence" in front of you or to protect the weapon hand if you don't have a complex hilt, with the sword engaging the opponent's weapon. Beginners tend to use it to parry which can be used against them, for example; you throw a cut to their head, they parry with the buckler and block their own sight, you change angle and cut them low to the thigh. Don't think of a buckler as being the same thing as a full sized shield.

A buckler can be bad if you don't know how to use it. It should mostly be used to put up a "cone of defence" in front of you or to protect the weapon hand if you don't have a complex hilt, with the sword engaging the opponent's weapon. Beginners tend to use it to parry which can be used against them, for example; you throw a cut to their head, they parry with the buckler and block their own sight, you change angle and cut them low to the thigh. Don't think of a buckler as being the same thing as a full sized shield.

Not a lot of white belts around these parts. Welcome.

I think that the most important aspect of using a melee weapon in home defence is training.

I've seen many videos online of people using weapons in street fights, and I've seen newbies sparring with weapons for the first time. In both instances they are a total spaz.

A year or so training resisted sparring with the tool will be the deciding factor. People talk about needing firearms training to use them effectively, with melee weapons it's the crux of the matter.

I wouldn't waste my time on a baton, unless it has some real weight to it. I personally own a spanish cup hilt rapier. It is pretty and is very real, high carbon steel. It also looks like a collectors item rather than an outright mean weapon. But someone breaks into my house all those fencing classes will get put to use.

A great weapon for home defence, except maybe the length, but at least you know they'll be kept at a distance. If they get inside your range however it's pretty much over.

I think that the most important aspect of using a melee weapon in home defence is training.

I've seen many videos online of people using weapons in street fights, and I've seen newbies sparring with weapons for the first time. In both instances they are a total spaz.

A year or so training resisted sparring with the tool will be the deciding factor. People talk about needing firearms training to use them effectively, with melee weapons it's the crux of the matter.

A great weapon for home defence, except maybe the length, but at least you know they'll be kept at a distance. If they get inside your range however it's pretty much over.
Yeah, but that's when they have to deal with parrying dagger muhaha.

The notion of a melee weapon for home defense is absurd at best, depressing at worst, unprepared in either case, & makes me glad there is such a thing as a 'Murrica.

ImpishSaneHorsefly-max-1mb.gif

I know this dude got banned but I feel the EXACT opposite. I absolutely want a weapon that could possibly kill them with one strike. I'll rephrase. I don't want to kill them with 1 strike, but I want to stop the threat with 1 strike and if it kills them, then so be it..

It's good to have options of course. Many people who carry a gun also carry a knife, which of course isn't as immediately deadly. But in life or death situation I don't want to have to hit a guy 10 times with a baton if he has a knife or gun.

I know this dude got banned but I feel the EXACT opposite. I absolutely want a weapon that could possibly kill them with one strike. I'll rephrase. I don't want to kill them with 1 strike, but I want to stop the threat with 1 strike and if it kills them, then so be it..

It's good to have options of course. Many people who carry a gun also carry a knife, which of course isn't as immediately deadly. But in life or death situation I don't want to have to hit a guy 10 times with a baton if he has a knife or gun.
I wonder what he got banned for ...

Back