Mexican-market Cleto Reyes Pro Lace-ups

Good info Strat.

Also Thai...I was under the assumption you hadn't already committed to buy safetechs when you asked before. Maybe should have been a little more patient. However, now that you've got them, how do you find the wrist support? Are you using a converter? And finally, although the Reyes are a punchers glove and so soft, do you find them unprotective? Honestly...if wrist support wasn't so terrible on the safe techs as I've been told I would have gone for them by now since I have been dying to try Reyes safetech (and reyes period)...just not at the expense of my wrist down the line...I've been hearing the protection is really good though...so wanted your take.

Back at Strat, are safetechs not even good enough on the wrists for a soft bag or mitts?

I'll tell you on Friday about the performance - going to do a lot of bag and mitt work. My initial impressions? Zero wrist support, very snug fit, stiff thumb (which i assume will break in), and very comfortable. I will look into using a converter - i havent decided yet.

Strat - can I ask you why don't like the fairtex's? And as a follow up, are their downsides to very stiff, hard gloves?

Good info Strat.

Also Thai...I was under the assumption you hadn't already committed to buy safetechs when you asked before. Maybe should have been a little more patient. However, now that you've got them, how do you find the wrist support? Are you using a converter? And finally, although the Reyes are a punchers glove and so soft, do you find them unprotective? Honestly...if wrist support wasn't so terrible on the safe techs as I've been told I would have gone for them by now since I have been dying to try Reyes safetech (and reyes period)...just not at the expense of my wrist down the line...I've been hearing the protection is really good though...so wanted your take.

Back at Strat, are safetechs not even good enough on the wrists for a soft bag or mitts?

Majik like I've discussed a million times before using any sort of Reyes will not damage ones hands as the old wives tales in sherdog is led to believe. It's myth now at this point IMO. And again you asked yet the same question I've answered already.

TAPE UP YOUR WRIST OR USE A CONVERTER. WRAP YOUR HANDS.

I use my Reyes safetec in bags or mitts.

Everyone needs to quit making up stuff. It's a fight glove... It's that simple treat it like one and you will have zero issues.

I'll tell you on Friday about the performance - going to do a lot of bag and mitt work. My initial impressions? Zero wrist support, very snug fit, stiff thumb (which i assume will break in), and very comfortable. I will look into using a converter - i havent decided yet.

Strat - can I ask you why don't like the fairtex's? And as a follow up, are their downsides to very stiff, hard gloves?

If you realize most fight gloves have zero wrist support in most cases. So Reyes isn't alone here. That's the thing you are comparing the bgv9 which is a training glove to a pro fight glove. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Fairtex is an okay glove IMO it's over hyped. If you compare Reyes leather quality to fairtex they are miles apart. Reyes leather is far superior.

As far as padding it's really a matter of preference to be honest but dense padding is good for bag work in general. I myself prefer soft padding because I like to feel the feedback on my punches.

That is why the bgv9 is NOT recommended for sparring because it's like hitting someone with a rock. It's not because you are hitting someone heavily it's the padding. It's meant for bag work.

As far as the bgv5 is concerned it's completely shit. No other way to describe it.

Fairtex isn't bad don't think my opinion matters, I'm one dude just expressing an opinion, if they work for you use them bro!

A lot of people hate Reyes but I use them anyhow and it works for me. Don't let people talk you out of using something to include myself.

Bro if you like fairtex stick I with it I mean it. I box so Thai gloves are a curiosity for me. I don't train Muay Thai seriously, I do here and there.

I just want to stress that.

Thanks for the advice - I think I am just going to keep both. Nothing wrong with that :).

I just hear a lot of bro science about "puncher's glove", glove with the most "pop", etc. It seems the only way to figure out what is true is to try out the glove and ask people on sherdog - unfortunately, I can't go to modell's to try on cleto's and bgv9s.

I like the mexican style fairtex because they do provide a lot of pop (due to the dense padding as you mentioned) and I can throw with full power without feeling any impact on my knuckles or the tendons in my hand. I wore down a pair of twins pretty badly after significant use until the padding was very soft - any time i did mitt or bag work after the fact, my hands hurt after training. After trying on the Cleto Safe Tec's, I was concerned that I would have a similar issue of sore knuckles or tweaked tendons due to the soft leather. However, it sounds like it is atleast worth trying these gloves out after hearing your thoughts on them.

Look forward to your conclusions on the gloves thai. Also thanks strat...i'll probably go for these someday (if not custom 10oz bills) just because for the money and protection it seems to rival an ms300 in value. Only difference being ms300 has wrist support and these don't. Problem i can see with these safetechs is the taping wrists part...a coach has necer taped my wrist for me. They just don't do anything for their boxers around here. You pay to hit bags and occassionally be told to bob and weave regardless of your style or what you are working on.

Look forward to your conclusions on the gloves thai. Also thanks strat...i'll probably go for these someday (if not custom 10oz bills) just because for the money and protection it seems to rival an ms300 in value. Only difference being ms300 has wrist support and these don't. Problem i can see with these safetechs is the taping wrists part...a coach has necer taped my wrist for me. They just don't do anything for their boxers around here. You pay to hit bags and occassionally be told to bob and weave regardless of your style or what you are working on.

If that's the case get some RSKs :D

Thanks for the advice - I think I am just going to keep both. Nothing wrong with that :).

I just hear a lot of bro science about "puncher's glove", glove with the most "pop", etc. It seems the only way to figure out what is true is to try out the glove and ask people on sherdog - unfortunately, I can't go to modell's to try on cleto's and bgv9s.

I like the mexican style fairtex because they do provide a lot of pop (due to the dense padding as you mentioned) and I can throw with full power without feeling any impact on my knuckles or the tendons in my hand. I wore down a pair of twins pretty badly after significant use until the padding was very soft - any time i did mitt or bag work after the fact, my hands hurt after training. After trying on the Cleto Safe Tec's, I was concerned that I would have a similar issue of sore knuckles or tweaked tendons due to the soft leather. However, it sounds like it is atleast worth trying these gloves out after hearing your thoughts on them.

Don't be fooled Cletos will generate pop let me tell you. Cletos padding does not equal shot padding.

I am not saying you wont have sore knuckles, they shouldn't hurt mine have never done so. The safetecs are pretty damn protective though. I think you should ATLEAST try them 1x before returning them. Any gear company should take them back as long you don't return the gloves shot or all jacked up.

Ive returned gloves that were used a few times. Sometimes certain gloves don't work for certain people. Again its a matter of choice, but its impossible to judge a glove without ever using it.

And avoid Bro science at all costs... a lot of people do stupid shit and call opinions facts... yeah...

Back