Media Michael Chandler: Dustin Poirier should abandon title fight for a fourth match with McGregor

Should Dustin pass on title fight and wait for McGregor?

• Total voters
If I was Poirier I would absolutely wait to fight McGregor. Is fighting for the title worth more than millions of dollars and putting hands on someone who insulted your family? For me it wouldn’t be.

of course as a fan of the sport this would make no sense at all. McGregor doesn’t even deserve a ranked fighter at this point in his next fight let alone the guy who should be champ right now.

no, Poirier shouldn't fight Conor again just to piss Conor off. Conor thinks hes entitled to rematches with everyone until he wins

As far as it benefiting Poirier more, it probably would. He would probably make more in a fourth fight with Conor than he would against Da Bronx

Why?

He KO'd him the 2nd time around - fairly easily. Then beat him up and had him sitting on his ass making a fool of himself the 3rd time.

Outside of a payday why would he? There is nothing there for Dustin.

Why?

He KO'd him the 2nd time around - fairly easily. Then beat him up and had him sitting on his ass making a fool of himself the 3rd time.

Outside of a payday why would he? There is nothing there for Dustin.

Dustin has said many times he doesn’t even like fighting, he’s just doing it for money at this point

no, Poirier shouldn't fight Conor again just to piss Conor off. Conor thinks hes entitled to rematches with everyone until he wins
As far as it benefiting Poirier more, it probably would. He would probably make more in a fourth fight with Conor than he would against Da Bronx

pissing McGregor off is more important than millions of dollars?

Fighting Conor will absolutely still pay more, but win or lose he can fight Conor again. If he does it as champ the fight will be bigger still. More marketing angles, it's a bigger story with a title on the line.
It boggles the mind that anyone still gives a shit about seeing Dustin-Conor… how many times does Dustin have to push Conor’s shit in before people lose interest?… and the UFC are wasting Conor.. put him in some fun fights he can win so he get his confidence back…

with conors leg being out of commission for a few months dustin can dispose of oliveira in december and then come back in the spring to fight mcgregor to sell ppv. would probably need to be a catchweight 160 pound fight though since dana probably won't let conor have a TS off the bat after losing his last 3 fights at LW.

The title will not always be available for Poirier. I think he knows that. But the mcgregor rematch will always be on the table.

with conors leg being out of commission for a few months dustin can dispose of oliveira in december and then come back in the spring to fight mcgregor to sell ppv. would probably need to be a catchweight 160 pound fight though since dana probably won't let conor have a TS off the bat after losing his last 3 fights at LW.

The title will not always be available for Poirier. I think he knows that. But the mcgregor rematch will always be on the table.

Poirier already fought Conor twice, and the option to fight him will always be there. I am sure he made good money and is doing fine. I would rather piss Conor off and fight for legacy/the title now.

It's a no brainer imo, money trumps all and I can't see him losing to Conor in his current form tbh. The title shot will be awaiting, only this way he turns up a few million richer.

Conor can still win the fourth fight.

Talent-wise, Conor in his prime in my opinion is LEAGUES better than Poirier, pound for pound.

I just don't think that Conor is there any more. But I think if Conor can tap into what made him great, he can still win this. But I doubt it.

Conor in his "prime" struggled with Nate Diaz, who was a durable gatekeeper. Conor was never that good at LW, and any version of him gets destroyed by Dustin at LW every single time.

Conor in his "prime" struggled with Nate Diaz, who was a durable gatekeeper. Conor was never that good at LW, and any version of him gets destroyed by Dustin at LW every single time.

nah, Nate is a hard match up for Conor. It's about match ups. You sound delusional

nah, Nate is a hard match up for Conor. It's about match ups. You sound delusional

Dustin is durable at LW and Conor is the same one trick pony he's always been. Come out fast looking to end the fight early, and then gas and mentally break if it isn't over early in the 2nd round. Their is absolutely nothing Conor has ever done that suggests that he could beat this version of Dustin at LW.

I'm gonna say Poirier should just go for the title, but realistically he'd make at least as much money in a 4th Conor fight than in a fight with Oliveira and he'd take a lot less damage doing it.

No he got his 2 big pay days with the last two fights now it’s time to focus on legacy. He wins the belt and the is in a big money fight as he holds the belt. And he gets to continue a path for legacy.

It'd be embarrassing for the UFC to make this fight again. Would be even more WWE-esque than this last fight was.

If Dana's smart, he won't make it. It's clear that Dustin's in his prime and Conor's on the decline, whereas Conor was in his prime and Dustin hadn't entered his yet during their first fight. I'd give Dustin an 80-90% chance of winning and further depleting whatever stock Conor has left.

Let Dustin fight for the title and let Conor fight Tony Ferguson. Everyone will be happy.

I don't get Chandler's point, other than a silly way to try and trick Dustin into not fighting.

This isn't an either/or situation, Dustin makes more fighting Charles then not fighting anyone AND he gets the belt. The conor fight happens when/IF conor can return either way win/lose/draw and Dustin arguably gets paid more in Dustin vs conor 4 if he brings the belt to the fight too.

That would be the smart thing to do for Dustin. If Conor comes back and gets starched in his first fight back he might call it a career and Dustin loses another red panty night.

Conor could also lose and still want to fight but the buzz wouldn’t be there so he wouldn’t make as much.

Basically if Dustin wins the title and Conor loses his next fight Dustin will make significantly less money.

Back