Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

There was a Marine from my SALT that went to SFAS, was selected, and did an inter-service transfer to attend SFQC. Not sure, but I don't think SFQC is something other services can simply attend.
Some people could attend SFQC specifically MOS/Sage, but it was circumstantial for a few specific units. Some guys that authorized the tab some not. Probably not something I’d go into more detail about.

The guy in the picture was in then army, passed the SFQC, then later went into the Air Force to be a controller. That’s around 4 years of school house time for just those 2 schools including their indocs/selections.

Does the Army have something for officers like TBS? Even infantry officers have to go through it (6 months) instead of skipping straight to IOC.

Some people could attend SFQC specifically MOS/Sage, but it was circumstantial for a few specific units. Some guys that authorized the tab some not. Probably not something I’d go into more detail about.

The guy in the picture was in then army, passed the SFQC, then later went into the Air Force to be a controller. That’s around 4 years of school house time for just those 2 schools including their indocs/selections.
He's rocking the Jolly Greens on his cap, too. Pararescue is about 18 months.

Sapper tab, too.

Ah, I guess their regs are different.
skpl26sw8gy51.jpg

This Airman ran out of space.
Yes, I noticed the Sapper tab on the other photo. A worthless tab authorized for use starting in 2004. As worthless as a Pathfinder badge. The guy in the picture is just looking for attention and praise. The patch is barely being held on by the Velcro. I bet he's got Ranger or SF plates in his car and stickers on all windows. He just wants to make sure people know he is 'special.' Why go Air Force after being in the Army as a Green Beret Ranger qualified? Don't know. Is the pay better? Is the quality of life better?

The Q Course for SF is not like going to Ranger school. To go to the Q Course, you have to sign up to be SF for a certain amount of time in the Army. At least that is how it used to be. You can get the Ranger tab and not go to the Ranger Regiment. The Army has gotten rid of Reserve Special Forces Units (11th and 12th), but it does have two National Guard Units (19th and 20th). There used to be a way to get the SF tab as a Reservist years ago. I believe late 70s and early 80s. You would not do the course in one shot on Active Duty, but in portions. It would take much longer to complete. The quality of the operators was found not to be the same as their Active counterpart and the Army got rid of the program. Those that had completed the program and qualified were slowly pushed out of the units over time. They kept the tab. It would be like going through the 3 phases of Ranger school over 3 summers (3 years).

I'm not sure what is so special about these Air Force Combat Control Teams. Fire support is thought to 2nd Lieutenants in the Army Infantry. We called in our own artillery and air strikes. The fixed wing air strikes (coordination) might have gone through some additional Air Force channels. The Infantry Basic course for Officers and NCOs teaches a soldier how to call-for-fire (mortars, artillery, and fixed wing). We had Army NCOs in Afghanistan calling in B-1 bomber airstrikes. Not sure what happened to the CCT guy. Never needed one and never worked with one.

Yes, I noticed the Sapper tab on the other photo. A worthless tab authorized for use starting in 2004. As worthless as a Pathfinder badge. The guy in the picture is just looking for attention and praise. The patch is barely being held on by the Velcro. I bet he's got Ranger or SF plates in his car and stickers on all windows. He just wants to make sure people know he is 'special.' Why go Air Force after being in the Army as a Green Beret Ranger qualified? Don't know. Is the pay better? Is the quality of life better?

The Q Course for SF is not like going to Ranger school. To go to the Q Course, you have to sign up to be SF for a certain amount of time in the Army. At least that is how it used to be. You can get the Ranger tab and not go to the Ranger Regiment. The Army has gotten rid of Reserve Special Forces Units (11th and 12th), but it does have two National Guard Units (19th and 20th). There used to be a way to get the SF tab as a Reservist years ago. I believe late 70s and early 80s. You would not do the course in one shot on Active Duty, but in portions. It would take much longer to complete. The quality of the operators was found not to be the same as their Active counterpart and the Army got rid of the program. Those that had completed the program and qualified were slowly pushed out of the units over time. They kept the tab. It would be like going through the 3 phases of Ranger school over 3 summers (3 years).

I'm not sure what is so special about these Air Force Combat Control Teams. Fire support is thought to 2nd Lieutenants in the Army Infantry. We called in our own artillery and air strikes. The fixed wing air strikes (coordination) might have gone through some additional Air Force channels. The Infantry Basic course for Officers and NCOs teaches a soldier how to call-for-fire (mortars, artillery, and fixed wing). We had Army NCOs in Afghanistan calling in B-1 bomber airstrikes. Not sure what happened to the CCT guy. Never needed one and never worked with one.
CCTs can call for CAS, control a stack of air craft, manage a restricted operating zone. A fries NCO or any qualified JTAC can do likewise. Controllers main job is the ability to be an air traffic controller on an air field. Like an air field seizure, think of BAF or KAF, before there was security CCTs ran all A/Cs in and out. That last delineation is the main difference between a TACP and CCT, then CCTs are specifically designed to work with SOF so they’re all freefall, dive and SERE qualified during their initial training pipeline.

Yeap, there is the 1st Infantry Division wearing their unauthorized camouflaged unit patch on their DCUs. The red colored '1.' That is a Class A uniform patch. The 'Big Red One' has been doing that shit for a few years now. This would be the correct patch:

1714095603486.png

Last edited:
Love my tabs.
PowerPoint was harder than Ranger School. Less than 3% graduate from the course.
PowerPoint Rangers are now considered a Tier 1 soldier.

View attachment 1041361

<DCWhoa>

@Mike Hagger Have you ever heard anything about Larry Vickers supposedly being banned from Camp Mackall?

* Edit: Popp graduated from Ranger School in September of 1990 (not 1980) - Class 9. He went on to serve in a Ranger Battalion and later Special Forces.

Last edited:

Did you ever see the pre-selection vid that the History Channel(?) did?

This one class just got smoked in the pit. One pre-selectee threw up and had to put it in his pocket because "Rangers don't leave anything behind, selectee!" One of the cadre saw that one of the selectees was looking zonked out and he pulled him out and asked him..

Cadre - "What day is it today trainee!?!?"

Trainee - "Pancakes."

Needless to say, that he went back to his garrison to try again.

Remember, this is the course to see if you're eligible for the actual training.

<BC1>

Terrence Popp and more great stories about going to Ranger school. Crazy but hilarious. A lot of this shit is no longer tolerated by the Army. The good old days. All this happened at Ft. Benning, GA, in the late 1980s. Yeah, no females.

Last edited:
Terrence Popp and more great stories about going to Ranger school. Crazy but hilarious. A lot of this shit is no longer tolerated by the Army. The good old days. All this happened at Ft. Benning, GA, in the late 1980s. Yeah, no females.

This guy is hilarious and shocking at the same time! :eek: <lol>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back