Minimal possible height of water on a flat surface

Your Account

reacted to your score
@Silver
Reaction score
What is it ?
If one liter of water is slowly spilled out in a center of 1m2 flat surface which is on a table raised 1meter from on a flat ground , what is happening with the water ?
Will it go over the edge of the surface and start falling to the ground ?
Whats the amount of water for that large surface to be just enough so it doesn't spill over the edges,
and whats the height of the water then if thats possible to achive ?

I don’t know. I do remember enough from physics and Chem that the strength of the bonds (attraction) of the water to the surface would be a factor. Something that had strong hydrogen bonds to the water would make it less likely to flow and flatten out. Something with weaker hydrogen bonds would be slippery to water and allow it to become thinner. That’s all I got.

It's related to the surface tension of water. I think if you dig into that, you should be able to find the formulas you would need

maxresdefault.jpg

Insufficient information.

I would need to know where in the world this experiment is taking place… what time of year… planetary alignment, etc.

dont u even science bra

It's related to the surface tension of water. I think if you dig into that, you should be able to find the formulas you would need

It has to do with contact angle. I was flipping through some magazine for smart people at a doctor's office, and saw an article about it. They showed the formula and everything. I was out of my league and went searching for Highlights.

Last edited:
It has to do with contact angle. I was flipping through some magazine for smart people in a doctor's office, and saw an article about it. They showed the formula and everything. I was out of my league and went searching for Highlights.

I stand corrected, the surface tension is relevant here but contact angle is what TS is looking for.

I wonder if Musk had a specific question about his rocket landing on Mars, would he know enough to seek out Mayberry? We could probably cobble together a reasonable answer in a couple of pages. At least it would be fun reading.

1 molecule high.
This is the right answer

Your question is basically asking "how small can water be?". Well water can't get smaller than a single water molecule. If you try to go smaller you will then be trying to divide the water molecule into atoms (either hydrogen or oxygen atoms), which in themselves are not water.

depends on the surface.
of course
maybe good example would be some flat glass or mirror
Im wondering if the value for default height of water is known, and what is the max weight of water possible to have on flat surface per m2.

Back