More impressive: Jones beating Gane or Silva beating Forrest ?

I would say Anderson over Forrest. Forrest was a former champion and had many fights in the UFC and we kind of knew who/what he was. Gane fights in a weaker division and despite being around for a little bit now, I still don't feel like I have a solid grasp on how good he actually is. Not discounting Jones' win, it is impressive, but I do think Anderson's win was more impressive.
Jones' win was meh while Silva's destruction of Forest was legendary. Yes not many expected Forest to win but they thought it was possible and didn't expect to see him get so thoroughly dominated. Three knockdowns in one round and of course the legendary hands down KO, still one of the best performances ever IMO.

It's damn close either way.

But BJ Penn beating Hughes >>>>>>>

Indeed, it's an excellent question.

Personally, I would select Jones' triumph over Gane as the more impressive victory due to Jones' extended period of inactivity, Gane's status as a highly regarded up-and-comer in the heavyweight division, and the fact that the fight was a championship bout.

There were plenty of people here at the time who thought Griffin had a legitimate shot at beating Silva as he was a huge light heavyweight and was only one fight removed from beating 'Rampage'. The effortless manner in which Silva dissected and summarily dismissed Forrest without breaking a sweat was legitimately shocking in the moment and to this day one of the most ridiculous performances I've ever seen. It's easily the answer.

When you add the fact that Griffin was a real title holder and not interim, was highly ranked in a tougher, deeper division than Gane it's even more impressive.

People still try to downplay that Forrest griffin win. Silva destroyed him so badly, he virtually stripped Forrest griffin of his elite status in MMA going forward, both as a fighter and his legacy.

Forrest griffin was definitely more proven than Gane, and it's really not close. Prior to silva Forrest was coming off fights against Rashad Evans, rampage Jackson, and shogun rua, all of which are some of Jon Jones signature wins. Not that Ganes record is anything to scoff at in terms of the heavyweight division, junior dos Santos and Derrick Lewis are fantastic wins, but being out wrestled by Francis and taking some of those big shots from Tai tuivasa certainly left him with some question marks going forward in the Jones fight, where as Forrest had proven his worth as an elite MMA fighter capable of going to war with anyone at 205.

both impressive asf hard to decide but gane is way more dangerous

Silva was a more legandary performance, but Bones was a bigger acomplishment.
Hate when people start with the revisionism of "Gane was tailor-made for Jones". Half the forum was saying Jones never fought a better striker, and lots of people pointing out ring rust was too much. I was on the latter, and i ate my crow.

Silva would have done the same to Rua or Rampage who are both on most peoples top 5 all time LHW. And Forrest just beat both of them in his last 3 fights.

people really have to put some hespect on Forrest. The guy fucking fought Dan Severn on his professional debut, submitted the goat uncle Chael then went on to become a champ in a division full of killers and beat a former/future UFC champ 5x

Tito x2
Ace
Shogun
Rampage

compared to Gane who almost got iced by the shoe guy

Also psychology is part of the game, Andy had a former champ so shook he had to take anxiety medication to make it to the ring, where as Gane was eating cheetos and playing FIFA

Forrest was the champion in the fight before SIlva and Gane never was. Jones dominated and finished Gane quick, Gane in 120 seconds, but Silva just embarrassed Forrest.

Silva vs forrest is more impressive. I wish silva fought for the LHW strap. I think he would have won the belt .

Gane has been figthting for like 3 days lol. Its not because he beat some drunk bar dudes who dont train and are just in the weakest division because they are too lazy to move that Gane should be seen as a great fighter. Dude is not good in anything, but since he can move without looking like 80 like the others, he has wins.

Anderson, and its not even close.

Silva over Forrest.

Jones luckily fought frozen version of Gane - it is like beating washed fighter. Gane didn't belong in the octagon that night. If Bones fought that version of Cyril that fought Volkov, Lewis or Tai he would likely lose.

Gane > Forrest tho.

Jones beating Gane.

No one on here told me that Forrest was the best striker in MMA and would easily beat Silva.

People thought even less of Gane as a grappler. Jones outgrappled a white belt in grappling, that's basically what happened. It was impressive how Jones slipped Gane's overextended punch and was able to took Gane's back, but that was pretty much the only impressive move in that fight by both fighters.

Many here said that it would be an easy fight for Jones of he can take down Gane. For me Anderson performance and his matrix shit was much more impressive than Jones getting a takedown on someone who never wrestle being from Europe

IMO it’s oranges and apples, not so sure these feats are comparable because of different factors.

While both Jones and Silva moved up a class and made fellow Champion (or Interim Champion) level fighters look like they didn’t belong in the same cage. Silva was extremely impressive in doing this without cutting weight and was able to go back down again to fight at MW another 13 times, he never committed himself to the weight class.

Jones definitely can’t say the same, but he rolled into the cage after nearly three years of inactivity after looking listless in has last few fights, yet he dispatched Cyril Gane in under a minute. Extremely different circumstances, quite remarkable outcomes, both guys are GOAT level fighters…

Back