More skilled fighter - GSP or Jones?

beachburn2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Simple question, but I don't expect many simple answers from the myriad of experts patrolling this forum.

All about technique.

It's got to be Jones. He has skills. While GSP overpowers his opponents most of the time. Did GSP ever fight opposition who were legit and stronger than him? On those occasions he either lost - Serra or had marginal advantage - think Hendricks.

Bones is all that, natural fighter.

Fighting is all about damage, ie finishing your opponent. Jon Jones is not only a prolific finisher, but also undefeated, hence he is significantly more skilled than the Canadian - who went almost a decade without finishing an opponent in his own weight class

Bones because he has all the tools and uses his length to his advantage as well.

Kickboxing-Jones
Boxing-gsp
Wrestling-Jones
Overall grappling+submissions+sub defense-Jones

Besides raw skills
Chin-Jones
Heart-Jones
Fight iq- TIE

Jones>GSP in terms of skills, resume, and GOATness.

Bones because he has all the tools and uses his length to his advantage as well.
I was going to say

People will inevitably bring up Bones' length advantage but they also don't realize that GSP never fought anyone in his entire career who had an equal or longer reach to him.

GSP relied on his length a lot too, and used it well in his jab.

It's got to be Jones. He has skills. While GSP overpowers his opponents most of the time. Did GSP ever fight opposition who were legit and stronger than him? On those occasions he either lost - Serra or had marginal advantage - think Hendricks.

Bones is all that, natural fighter.
Natural lol

Haven't you figured it out by now??? Jones is 99% steroids and 1% lucky. So the answer is GSP

vucj3JV.gif
Yes Jones has no skills

He literally only has long arms and steroids

He stands there like a jacked scarecrow waving his arms around, and got lucky 23 times

Unfortunately his luck ran out against the true GOAT Hamill

the answer could be derived this way : ask yourself who has to train more intensively GPS or Jones to beat his respective opposition. It is GSP who has to be in insane shape to beat someone like Johnny Hendricks(who is most of the time morbidly obese). Jon on the other hand can ingest a couple of coke lines and beat say Chael Sonnen(Bader and any other reasonable competitor in the weightclass) on any day of the week NSAC sanctions a fight.

Gsp might have better overall game, however jones is better at using all his tools

Natural lol
"Natural fighter" I never said "natural". He obviously has some un-natural metabolites in his system, but, that doesn't mean he is not a "natural fighter, a killer". You know who is not a natural fighter? Cormier. He is hell of a competitor, but Cormier has to train day and night to stay in the fight game. Bones can wake up doing nothing but jogging for a year and still murder LHW division.

I don't think Jones would necessarily have the same record if everyone he fought was his relative height and size. GSP didn't have the reach and height that Jon does and had to use technique to execute his game plan, but he did have crazy athleticism. He didn't finish fights like Jones, but literally embarrassed many top level guys in dominant fashion. His TD's were unstoppable for the most part, and he had pretty good striking as well. I don't know, both have crazy good techniques and skills....

I don't think Jones would necessarily have the same record if everyone he fought was his relative height and size. GSP didn't have the reach and height that Jon does and had to use technique to execute his game plan, but he did have crazy athleticism. He didn't finish fights like Jones, but literally embarrassed many top level guys in dominant fashion. His TD's were unstoppable for the most part, and he had pretty good striking as well. I don't know, both have crazy good techniques and skills....
Fair enough, but....

GSP never once fought anyone who had an equal or longer reach to him. He had a significant reach advantage over Bisping as well

He let 69 inch reach Serra and Hendricks blast him repeatedly

It's an interesting question, but I think Jon is on another level of physical ability than GSP. When your body is more abtly capable of certain maneuvers and moves it's easy to look that route. A lot of it has to do with the physicality of Jones being a better overall force. Jon comes from a stock of A-level athletes, wheres I see GSP as more of a hard worker who has had to push himself to being as successful as he was. There are some things you are born with, and Jones' body type is very well suited for MMA. Being a PED user pushes Jon into a whole other realm, it aids to his confidence more than anything.

Jones. Easily

Jones > abyss > GSP... Not even close.

Back