Movies Movie News and Notes

Wrong thread.

Last edited:
French screenwriter and director Thomas Bidegain accuses Jake Gyllenhaal of destroying his $30m film.

Bidegain claims:
  1. Gyllenhaal signed up to be an executive producer and the star of an English language film called "Suddenly Alone"
  2. Venessa Kirby was the other major star
  3. Shooting was to start in Iceland in 2021
  4. Gyllenhaal insisted on driving to the set vs flying because he was scared of COVID exposure even though Bidegain claims that "there was no COVID in Iceland" (Gyllenhaal must have flown to Iceland and so the drive must have been to the location)
  5. Gyllenhaal insisted that his rental car not be white or red
  6. Gyllenhaal jumped into the icy water to swim
  7. When practicing, Gyllenhaal and Kirby read their lines with a mocking French accent
  8. Gyllenhaal kept trying to change the script
  9. Gyllenhaal was concerned about COVID protocols with set workers and wanted them to sleep in their cars
  10. Gyllenhaal complained a lot about the script, the set, and the themes of the movie
The film got cancelled after 4 days. It all worked out in that Bidegain got to make a French version of the movie.

I was expecting more weird stuff to be honest.

Mostly it seems like Gyllenhaal and the Director disagreed on COVID protocols. Gyllenhaal also thought that the script was trash. I can understand why the writer did not share or appreciate that opinion.

Warning: my French is not good and my translation may be off.

This makes me sad, I really like Jake.

This makes me sad, I really like Jake.

I am also a big fan of his work.

Actors can be weird. No doubt.

In this case, my total outsider take is that the French director is being bitter. They had a project that did not work out. Happens all the time in the film business. The French guy ended up getting the movie made anyway. I am sure that the failed project was a big blow at the time but still unprofessional to air the dirty laundry IMO.

Most of the complaints about Jake seem explainable. Jake obviously took COVID way more seriously than the director. Jake wanting to swim in the ocean even though it was cold seems like it should be up to him. Who cares if he wants to rent a certain color car?

There is some debate whether the film was even funded. The French guy says yes. Others say it was not.

It is some funny drama either way.

R.22e3a932c755fb7e08de11f894521e6f

It's Official: Pedro Pascal, Vanessa Kirby, Ebon Moss-Bachrach and Joseph Quinn to Star in Marvel Studios' FANTASTIC FOUR Movie

Pedro-Pascal-Vanessa-Kirby-Ebon-Moss-Bachrach-and-Joseph-Quinn-Split-Getty-H-2024.jpg

Marvel Studios has found its Fantastic Four. Pedro Pascal, Vanessa Kirby, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, and Joseph Quinn will star as the heroes in The Fantastic Four feature.

Pascal was previously reported to star as Reed Richard/Mr. Fantastic, while the others had been heavily rumored in recent months. Kirby will star as Sue Storm/The Invisible Woman, while Joseph Quinn will play her brother, Johnny Storm/The Human Torch and Moss-Bachrach will star as Ben Grimm/The Thing.

The casting caps years of speculation over who might play the team. The film has a new release date of July 25, 2025 and hails from WandaVision director Matt Shakman. Jeff Kaplan and Ian Springer penned draft of the script, with Avatar: The Way of Water scribe Josh Friedman working on the latest version.

Also on Wednesday, Disney announced it is pushing back the release date of Fantastic Four from May 5, 2025, to July 25, 2025. It’s not a surprise considering the cast hadn’t been finalized until. But Marvel isn’t giving up on the prime May date, which is considered the start of the summer box office season. Fantastic Four essentially swapped dates with the anti-hero centric Thunderbolts, which now opens in theaters on May 5.

Fantastic Four has been among Marvel’s more anticipated films, perhaps because its team has never been done justice on the big screen. Roger Corman produced a low-rent version in 1994 that was never released, while Fox and director Tim Story released a pair of films in 2005 and 2007 that received a mixed response and starred Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, future MCU actor Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis. In 2015, Fox attempted to revive the franchise under director Josh Trank to disastrous results. A few years after that, Disney acquired Fox, opening the door for the Fantastic Four to enter the MCU.

The Fantastic Four are a cornerstone of the Marvel mythos, with writer Stan Lee and artist Jack Kirby introducing hte team in 1961’s Fantastic Four No. 1, the comic that would launch the Marvel Universe.

The casting for the super team has closely watched — and speculated about — with fancastings running rampant online. John Krasinski played a version of Reed Richards in May 2022’s Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness who was quickly killed off.

It's Official: Pedro Pascal, Vanessa Kirby, Ebon Moss-Bachrach and Joseph Quinn to Star in Marvel Studios' FANTASTIC FOUR Movie

Pedro-Pascal-Vanessa-Kirby-Ebon-Moss-Bachrach-and-Joseph-Quinn-Split-Getty-H-2024.jpg

Marvel Studios has found its Fantastic Four. Pedro Pascal, Vanessa Kirby, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, and Joseph Quinn will star as the heroes in The Fantastic Four feature.

Pascal was previously reported to star as Reed Richard/Mr. Fantastic, while the others had been heavily rumored in recent months. Kirby will star as Sue Storm/The Invisible Woman, while Joseph Quinn will play her brother, Johnny Storm/The Human Torch and Moss-Bachrach will star as Ben Grimm/The Thing.

The casting caps years of speculation over who might play the team. The film has a new release date of July 25, 2025 and hails from WandaVision director Matt Shakman. Jeff Kaplan and Ian Springer penned draft of the script, with Avatar: The Way of Water scribe Josh Friedman working on the latest version.

Also on Wednesday, Disney announced it is pushing back the release date of Fantastic Four from May 5, 2025, to July 25, 2025. It’s not a surprise considering the cast hadn’t been finalized until. But Marvel isn’t giving up on the prime May date, which is considered the start of the summer box office season. Fantastic Four essentially swapped dates with the anti-hero centric Thunderbolts, which now opens in theaters on May 5.

Fantastic Four has been among Marvel’s more anticipated films, perhaps because its team has never been done justice on the big screen. Roger Corman produced a low-rent version in 1994 that was never released, while Fox and director Tim Story released a pair of films in 2005 and 2007 that received a mixed response and starred Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, future MCU actor Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis. In 2015, Fox attempted to revive the franchise under director Josh Trank to disastrous results. A few years after that, Disney acquired Fox, opening the door for the Fantastic Four to enter the MCU.

The Fantastic Four are a cornerstone of the Marvel mythos, with writer Stan Lee and artist Jack Kirby introducing hte team in 1961’s Fantastic Four No. 1, the comic that would launch the Marvel Universe.

The casting for the super team has closely watched — and speculated about — with fancastings running rampant online. John Krasinski played a version of Reed Richards in May 2022’s Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness who was quickly killed off.

Vanessa Kirby is like 100 times less hot than Jessica alba. Let fantastic 4 die already

*Oh that guy.
*Who?
*Who?
* & Who?

Thanks for the 'Fantastic' cast, I can't wait to never watch it.

My thoughts are Marvel should have learned its lesson.....a great villain MAKES a movie. No one wants Kang. This actor wasn't that great in the creator, and he is a little guy.....don't get it. If its all makeup anyway, give it to Idris.

Back