Rewatch Movsar vs Lopes rewatched

Diego's biggest asset is his size. He looked a whole weight class bigger than Movsar.

He looked good in the first round but gassed early. Movsar, who's a wrestler, picked him apart on the feet. Ilia would do worse to him both on the ground and standing up.

Diego's biggest asset is his size. He looked a whole weight class bigger than Movsar.

He looked good in the first round but gassed early. Movsar, who's a wrestler, picked him apart on the feet. Ilia would do worse to him both on the ground and standing up.

To be fair, Lopes took the fight on super short notice so the gassing has to be taken into consideration. He's definitely a well rounded, dynamic finish with speed and athleticism, Lopes is. But it wasn't that long ago he was look pretty "meh" vs regional fighters, I'm not entirely sold quite yet personally. I think he should fight someone like Emmett or Ige next, while Evloev should face Ortega and be in line for a title shot.

Lopes looks to be evolving before our eyes, I need to see more though. Also in his wins, he's always been the hammer, I need to see how he looks vs guys who are firing back, his defense, poise under pressure, durability etc. He was taken down too easy too at times, seemed to have the Oliveira syndrome where he welcomed it but that's not good vs world class guys, gotta be able to defend takedowns, punish takedowns and create separation when takedowns are defended.

To be fair, Lopes took the fight on super short notice so the gassing has to be taken into consideration. He's definitely a well rounded, dynamic finish with speed and athleticism, Lopes is. But it wasn't that long ago he was look pretty "meh" vs regional fighters, I'm not entirely sold quite yet personally. I think he should fight someone like Emmett or Ige next, while Evloev should face Ortega and be in line for a title shot.

Lopes looks to be evolving before our eyes, I need to see more though. Also in his wins, he's always been the hammer, I need to see how he looks vs guys who are firing back, his defense, poise under pressure, durability etc. He was taken down too easy too at times, seemed to have the Oliveira syndrome where he welcomed it but that's not good vs world class guys, gotta be able to defend takedowns, punish takedowns and create separation when takedowns are defended.

He reminds me of Oliveira in a lot of ways actually. Mainly the way he relentlessly attacks with submissions and his ability to capitalize on an opponent's mistake and turn it into a submission or reverse position.

But also like Oliveira, he lacks striking defense and is way too comfortable playing the BJJ bottom game. At least, Olivera has developed decent wrestling and can escape from the bottom. Diego routinely gets taken down by smaller guys.

He's obviously got KO power as he showed against Yousuff and Sabatini. Once he refines his striking, like Oliveira he'll be using his fists to take guys down.

I'd like to see him fight Bryce Mitchell next or maybe Aljo.

That was such a a good fight. Smothering wrestling vs active Jiu jitsu.

Loved the style clash.

Both are elite fighters. It was a high level fight that happened early in their paths. I knew it then and it has only been confirmed by both guys' last few performances since then. Both guys have extremely bright futures and should both be near the top of the division for the next few years IMO. Two very good fighters.

That was his breakout fight for me. I was massively impressed. Once you get past the hair and chest tattoo, Lopes is the whole package. Good chin, fast heavy hands, great striking and fantastic grappling, great instincts. I hope he goes far and enjoy seeing his successes.

That was his breakout fight for me. I was massively impressed. Once you get past the hair and chest tattoo, Lopes is the whole package. Good chin, fast heavy hands, great striking and fantastic grappling, great instincts. I hope he goes far and enjoy seeing his successes.
I want him to become GOAT without changing the hair or chest tattoo.

Imagine a graphic listing the top 5 GOATS, you got Jones, Aldo, GSP, and Spider, all bald or clean shaven, then they get to #1 and its Lopes with the iconic haircut and the roadmap to success right on his chest.

That thumbnail makes them look kinda like circus freaks lol. Looks like a dwarf fighting a guy with a superhuman neck

Back