Muay Thai OHAY!

Art of War

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Does anybody know the history behind the OHAY!?

If that's not clear enough, when people are fighting especially muay thai, it's commonplace for their corner and supporters to shout OHAY!! Every Time their fighter lands a shot.

oqaaaemffjd1hnlfcxctwr0m3re-duaans6btiuwcf1hduj4rw0dnlh52whzshgjmvqtamcvh7e1-ehawtjeivmnex4am1t1uh5gqmuvx86kgvif3oxn5m58_bbf.jpg

Some times while training I hear from other Thai fighters, along the lines of "Teep-Away" or "Keep-Away" while they're working the bag/pads

I dont know the origin but i thought it was just done to exaggerate the strikes of the fighters to help sway the judges in either direction

I've heard from a number of very credible sources that it was in the memorable summer of 2003, when Ghostface Killa, Nate Dogg and Mark Ronson made a suprise visit to Lumpinee Stadium to debut their new single 'Ooh Wee'.

All the Thai's decided the track was straight fire, and increased the excitement throughout the arena as each strike landed, therefore generating more bets and revenue. Ooh Wee is now highly regarded as the Thai slang for 'Get Money, Kick bitches'

[YT]lpayJn3Ch5M[/YT]

My parsing of Thai crowd chants:

ayy - punch or elbow
tee - knee
owayy - kick

The tee sounds the coolest in my opinion. When two clinchers are in a knee battle it sounds like a pagan ritual is going down.

My parsing of Thai crowd chants:

ayy - punch or elbow
tee - knee
owayy - kick

The tee sounds the coolest in my opinion. When two clinchers are in a knee battle it sounds like a pagan ritual is going down.

Knee sounds like Cow in Thai but what they're saying during the knee exchanges is "Di" or good in English

Knee sounds like Cow in Thai but what they're saying during the knee exchanges is "Di" or good in English

I have heard from someone who speaks Thai that they are saying "strike." I guess "good" makes sense too.

I've heard from a number of very credible sources that it was in the memorable summer of 2003, when Ghostface Killa, Nate Dogg and Mark Ronson made a suprise visit to Lumpinee Stadium to debut their new single 'Ooh Wee'.

All the Thai's decided the track was straight fire, and increased the excitement throughout the arena as each strike landed, therefore generating more bets and revenue. Ooh Wee is now highly regarded as the Thai slang for 'Get Money, Kick bitches'

[YT]lpayJn3Ch5M[/YT]

I can confirm that.

Back