My K1 pro rules debut - Video in thread

Mad Dollar

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Just had my 91 kg and pro rules K1 debut in april.

I was in the blue corner and lost the fight in the 2nd round after i was knocked down and counted out as i didn't want to continue.

I have been working a lot with my mental aspect of the game since the fight.

Any critique regarding the fight will be much appreciated.

I have my next fight the 24th september and will be going back down to the 86 kg weight class.

Fight video link:

I skipped to the finish and the way it happened, I would suggest to find another line of work. No offense.

Out of curiosity, were you concussed and realized this and quit to protect your health, or was it just a mental thing?

This sport will have many people who long for carnage and thrive in it, you have to be unbothered by this if you plan to go far.

- You hold your head up too high
- You tilt your head back when you move backwards
- Your kicks lack power and intent
- Your body language screams "please don't hurt me"

Fighting in any combat sport can be brutal, and unless you make serious changes you'll get hurt.

So you got hit with a solid punch and decided to let yourself fall down and quit the match. I think you don't got enough pride or a tough enough upbringing to go far with this. Unless you change.

You lose your posture when you throw punches, thus you are open for punches all the time. Focus on maintaining a good stance and guard when you train on pads and sparring. Also get some more sparring experience. Light sparring so you can improve your technique and posture and get comfortable exchanging punches. Some harder boxing sparring so you get used to taking punches.

Honestly dude you remind me of my first smoker fight in MT. I had never been in a seriously hard sparring session and it showed.

I didnt know how to throw fight ending shots because I'd never needed to, but worse I didn't know how to handle receiving fight ending shots. I got lit up with a combo and went into reactive mode for the next 3 rounds.

Do you spar hard out of curiosity? I dont mean all the time but ever, or at least in the lead up to a fight? I'm talking where you get rocked or even potentially dropped if you're not minding your shit. I think its important to feel that before getting in the ring to compete.

This goes for dishing out punishment as well. Your left high kick has really good technique but it looked like you were putting about 20% effort into it. Even if that landed flush I doubt it would of stopped your opponent much. Do you go 100% on pads? Might sound obvious but you absolutely need to practice going 100% power on pads if you dont already.

Your technique looks like it can be improved, but answer me this if you can. Did you go into that fight thinking I'm going to knock him out with this strike, this combo, or this drill I practised? If not then that sounds scary personally. I wouldn't go into a fight thinking I don't know how I'm going to stop this dude. I want to go into a fight thinking I'm going to KO him round 2 with a straight right. Or I'm going to clinch this guy, wear him out with knees then body kick him until he gives up etc.

I personally don't think you were ready to have such a fight both in terms of technique but especially in terms of heart and mental toughness.

I'm not going to go through all the things you need to adjust because there are quite a few and others have already mentioned some of them but I'd definitely advise you to work a lot more on proper technique especially your boxing (perhaps more private sessions with your coaches so they can fix your technique and stance and perhaps also train at a boxing gym?) and also get more hard sparring in so you don't quit that easily.

Don’t take the criticism too seriously. This is what I recommend.

First what you can improve in your technique-

1. Keep that lead hand up, I’ve been working with a couple of younger southpaws who are under the delusion that an orthodox fighter only has a right cross. A left hook can absolutely land if you keep that hand low. 2. A southpaw is most effective when there right foot is on the outside of the orthodox fighters left/ lead foot. An effective southpaw is always looking for superior foot positioning and is cutting angles to avoid the orthodox right (power) side. 3. Find another fight, and don’t worry about the results, focus on improving.

The mental side is harder to access because I don’t know you personally and cant read your mind. I can say that most fighters deal with the extreme anxiety and stress on some level, but it is obviously different for everyone. Ideally a coach puts the fighter through an amateur circuit and corrects the technical, and psychological issues there.

I’m not big on giving information about myself but I also struggled, and as a result my fight record is pretty inconsistent. I have beaten some champions and even (narrowly) beat this bad ass dude from Brazil with a 32-5 record to win a national tournament in Reno. Conversely I have lost fights I had absolutely no business losing, because I was only working on things I was already good at and avoided improving in areas that I was weak in.

My biggest advice is to get used to being uncomfortable. Go to the gym and work on the weakness in your game. Spar with guys that are much better than you. Get more time in the ring, as long as you are not seriously injured fight regularly.

You are a "PRO" and you are asking for advise..
Just being plain honest here for your sake only. You would get mauled by novice fighters from my gym.
Not sure what the rules in your country are w/r to progressing to a professional level. But this is far from professional and you will get hurt badly at a certain point if you continue fighting like this.
What is your experience before you became "PRO"?
Over here you have to earn it. It took me 25+ fights (without shinguards or head protection) to become an A-class fighter. You look like you have no previous fighting experience at all.

Just being plain honest here for your sake only. You would get mauled by novice fighters from my gym.
Not sure what the rules in your country are w/r to progressing to a professional level. But this is far from professional and you will get hurt badly at a certain point if you continue fighting like this.
Over here you have to earn it. It took me 25+ fights (without shinguards or head protection) to become an A-class fighter. You look like you have no previous fighting experience at all.
He asked for feedback not to hear about the guys at your gym.

Being a pro fighter literary just means you had 1 single match without shinguards and headprotection
Nothing more

You can still suck and be weaker then 90% amateurs.

Hey just support for you threadstarter. Your manners are in place. However we just give you tough love. Fighting isn't table tenis. We don't want you to get unceseary hurt.

Last edited:
At least you had the balls to get into a fight in front of an audience. Many criticizing you were never as brave as you to step in there. Kudos for that.

Don’t be offended I will point out things that I see need work, if you don’t take on board thing I say and others you will not improve.

Your stance needs correcting, work on your defence and cardio.

you kicks and punches are lazy, no power, thrown with little effort.

try to work on understanding distance and angles, and strike accordingly so your not off balance.

I saw no reason to quit, you got to your feet quickly, did not stagger, I cannot feel what you feel but I have rarely seen someone quit in the condition you were in.

get back to the basics and drill them.

Just had my 91 kg and pro rules K1 debut in april.

I was in the blue corner and lost the fight in the 2nd round after i was knocked down and counted out as i didn't want to continue.

I have been working a lot with my mental aspect of the game since the fight.

Any critique regarding the fight will be much appreciated.

I have my next fight the 24th september and will be going back down to the 86 kg weight class.

Fight video link:

I feel your pain man, had a fight two weeks ago where I went up a weight class; coach stopped it in the second after getting overwhelmed by the size/power difference and breaking my nose on a knockdown.

There's a lot of good advice in this thread, but above all talk to your coach honestly. Have them be frank about the holes in your game and work with them to build a path to becoming the best you can be. Be early to training sessions and late leaving them, ask everyone questions, drill basics basics basics, etc. If you wanna be a successful pro fighter, you have to dedicate your life to this; and if you push yourself and trust the process, I believe you will get there! That wasn't your night, but it was just one match. You will have tons more, and once you're done competing you will have a whole lifetime to enjoy the martial arts in whatever capacity you want. You're in the ring because you want to be, so push yourself and enjoy it :)

Being a pro fighter literary just means you had 1 single match without shinguards and headprotection
Nothing more

You can still suck and be weaker then 90% amateurs.

Hey just support for you threadstarter. Your manners are in place. However we just give you tough love. Fighting isn't table tenis. We don't want you to get unceseary hurt.
pro style rules. Idk what it means but I’m positive it wasn’t a pro fight.

How many amateur fights have you had ? There are many aspect of fighting that needs to be solid before entering the pro circuit.
A tight solid Guard.
Not being afraid to take shots.
A good to great cardio.
Not falling into feints.
Hit hard to hurt the opponent.
You lacked most of these. The way you started the fight seemed like a sparring session. Of course i'm not saying you need to kick/Punch full force at the beginning but, your posture, your guard needs to be respected by your opponent. The way you move your hands up and down screams amateurism.
When he feinted a kick, your arm was already down trying to catch it with your chin up. You are very lucky he didn't play on this. If it's kickboxing, why are you trying to grab his leg ? You need to lose this habit or you're going to get knocked out again.
When i started MT, i would close my eyes, turn my head, lower my hands. So what i would do in training beside regular sparring would be sparring with my guard up, block kicks with my legs but guard up, not grabbing, only defending without looking anywhere but my opponents eyes or shoulder line, for many months
I don't know if you only train in a Kickboxing gym but training in MuayThai will help you develop the points mentioned above.

Keep it up and never give up !

My coach fought in Germany last weekend.
He had a pretty bad fever going into the fight, but decided to still do the fight.
Unfortunately he lost in first round.
Thoughts on his showing? He’s the guy in the white shorts with red gloves

My coach fought in Germany last weekend.
He had a pretty bad fever going into the fight, but decided to still do the fight.
Unfortunately he lost in first round.
Thoughts on his showing? He’s the guy in the white shorts with red gloves

Great fight ! Looked like he really wanted to finish the opponent! Shit happens he got caught, I definitely think he could have won the fight! He had the opponent in trouble early in the fight !

How many amateur fights have you had ? There are many aspect of fighting that needs to be solid before entering the pro circuit.
A tight solid Guard.
Not being afraid to take shots.
A good to great cardio.
Not falling into feints.
Hit hard to hurt the opponent.
You lacked most of these. The way you started the fight seemed like a sparring session. Of course i'm not saying you need to kick/Punch full force at the beginning but, your posture, your guard needs to be respected by your opponent. The way you move your hands up and down screams amateurism.
When he feinted a kick, your arm was already down trying to catch it with your chin up. You are very lucky he didn't play on this. If it's kickboxing, why are you trying to grab his leg ? You need to lose this habit or you're going to get knocked out again.
When i started MT, i would close my eyes, turn my head, lower my hands. So what i would do in training beside regular sparring would be sparring with my guard up, block kicks with my legs but guard up, not grabbing, only defending without looking anywhere but my opponents eyes or shoulder line, for many months
I don't know if you only train in a Kickboxing gym but training in MuayThai will help you develop the points mentioned above.

Keep it up and never give up !
Thank you so much for your reply sir! I have followed your advise, and I think I have improved a lot for my next fight on the 5th of November :)!!

Back