Name One Fight That You Should Have Bet On Because It Was Clear To You That The Underdog Would Win

I know that hindsight is 20/20, but I had a strong feeling that Topuria - a slight underdog - was going to win decisively.
Not sure, but it made me think of this.

"Every main card winner of UFC 226 was an underdog. If you parlayed all 5, your odds would have been +12936"​

Strickland vs Izzy.

I was on a war rampage explaining why Strickland was a live dog and legit threat... maybe not confident enough to bet but still.
He was also only a -150 fav against Abus who had one ufc fight and was on a 3 fight win streak with one of those wins being a guy in his mma debut, lol.

McGregor vs Poirier II

LW hype/has-been vs substance

Should of seen it from a mile away

<Moves>

Made money on O'malley against Aljo.. Regretted not putting more lol

I was just tellin dad... I mean my daddy how I knew Kamaru was gonna take the belt from Tyron because in the press conference, Tyron was tootin his own horn and Kamaru responded with, "you were a good champion." The truth is, even if you don't like people like Sean O'Malley or Conor, they have given back a lot. Most true champions act like champions. And I knew that was how a future champion would reply to Woodley.
I thought Woodley was going to win that fight before I saw them both in the octagon. Tyron looked like he didn’t want to be there.

My pick is Holm vs Rousey.

Nate v conor
Though it was short notice I fancied him for the win

He has stamina, size/leverage and a solid ground game

I was kind of a conor fan back then and I liked nates chances
Same, I kind of thought it was crazy that he was an underdog after his previous fight. His boxing looked so slick against Johnson who was also a southpaw, plus he was way more seasoned against high level opposition at that point that I figured it would take more than Conor had to blow him out of the water like he was used to doing.

I literally remember specifically tellling my supervisor to bet on hold because I followed her career when she faced holly holm.

Any time this topic comes up, I always bring up KZ vs Hominick. I spent 3 week leading up to that fight saying the odds were ridiculous, like -480 or something crazy for Hominick. Wanted to bet on it but not a big gambler and didn't know the best place to put down a bet because of that. If I put $10 on it, it would of paid for my night out at the bar watching it that night. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Not even about the money but just having the receipt for the bragging rights.

Based on payout, Holm vs R3 should have made a lot of Sherdoggers rich.

Holm was nearly +900 at one point.
I should have bet on that one too. Ronda was far too confident in her rudimentary striking from knocking out a few subpar fighters and wanted to prove something. Holly had the background to evade and counter her. By the time Ronda tried to settle into her roots, the trap had already been set.

I certainly wasn't 100% confident, but it would have been worth a gamble and we rarely get those types of skill mismatches these days. And definitely not in a title fight.

Tamdan "The Barn Cat" McCrory opened as a -245 against Nate Marquardt. Had zero idea why a twiggy Jujitsu guy with no striking would be favored over Nate, regardless of how old he was. Started a thread on it here.

Also Nick Diaz vs Frank Shamrock. Frank was not only past his prime but much smaller than Diaz. Yet was a 2-1 favorite based on name value.

Same reason I didn't bet on either. Living in SoCal there was no way to place a bet back then and I didn't have a bookie. Hell even now they still don't have gambling apps.
Betting mma in that era was fun because the odds would be way off sometimes.

If i did bets, I would have put money on Nate to beat Conor the first time. Here was a guy too dumb to be offended or intimidated by Conor's trash talk,and has an iron chin.

I wasnt thinking he would def win but I saw the opp for money.

I did always say someone who could employ some pretty fundamental footwork would handle Rousey pretty easily.

I guess by the time the Holm fight came around some of that Kool Aid had gotten into me.

Pettis vs RDA...RDA was +250 and I thought huh he seems like a pretty bad style match up for Pettis. He's a really strong in top position, doesn't get submitted, and his pressure striking game was in peak shape...surely he can do what guida did

Based on payout, Holm vs R3 should have made a lot of Sherdoggers rich.

Holm was nearly +900 at one point.
That's one for which I distinctly remember posters calling the outcome in advance, like, years in advance. When that potential matchup was a fantasy matchup, dudes here were saying that Holly would defend the TD, stay outside and pick Ronda apart with kicks and jabs. I saw that same prediction a ton of times here in the couple of years leading up to it. Surely somebody here got a hookers and cocaine weekend off that bet, probably a bunch of people. That was one of the best calls I've seen this forum make.

Back