Opinion NASA develop lower power rocket engine to move objects at 99% speed of light

Love it.

Science fiction collides with science theory is always fun.

We have seen way too much, theorized in shows like Star Trek TOS now starting to become reality. Food Replicators. 3D Printing, Transporters, Holodecks, Energy based Weapons, all on the edge of Sci Fiction, now developed or flirting with early versions.

There are some pretty cool theory stuff flirting with near light travel. Of course something like this will require some sort of protection for the vessel (shields) be developed as well as I would think the most minor space dust being collided with at that speed is going to tear thru the craft as a bullet goes through flesh.

That will not work, you can't gain momentum for the space ship in that way. That's basic physics. And yes, it applies to relativity too.
Chemical rockets or ion engines all respect conservation of momentum, you throw some stuff backwards and your ship goes forwards.
That helical engine does not, the ship wouldn't even move.

At that speed, wouldn’t impact from some tiny space particle fuck up the ship really badly? Could you even reasonably hope to steer the thing away from some rock in its path before hitting it and exploding?
That's what I've always wondered about but I've literally never heard any physicists or whatever even talk about it. Even if we had a warp drive what about all the matter in the way? It's kind of funny. I hate to be cynical about it but it seems like people assume that with these faster means of travel it automatically comes with a force field haha

At that speed, wouldn’t impact from some tiny space particle fuck up the ship really badly? Could you even reasonably hope to steer the thing away from some rock in its path before hitting it and exploding?
Yeah a Shield or some sort of field that pushes stuff out of the way would be necessary. A paint chip hit the space shuttle and made a 6 in thick window look like broken ice

We still explode stuff in a container to achieve locomotion. Lol at Ion drive, thanks for the math nerd!

You know.....when I was a kid....I had to clean my room first before I could go outside and play.

Just Sayin'.

unless nasa kicks gets big budget increase not gonna happen anytime soon

Lmao imagine believing this cold fusion-tier cringe vaporware bullshit

Not gonna happen

Yeah a Shield or some sort of field that pushes stuff out of the way would be necessary. A paint chip hit the space shuttle and made a 6 in thick window look like broken ice
"
Nasa scientists have invented a new metal alloy that is 1,000 times more durable than current state-of-the-art materials used in aviation and space exploration.

The US space agency believes that Alloy GRX-810 could revolutionise space travel, as it can withstand far harsher conditions than existing materials used within rocket engines.

The material has twice the strength, three-and-a-half times the flexibility and more than 1,000 times the durability under stress at high temperatures."
"
This breakthrough is revolutionary for materials development,” said Dale Hopkins, deputy project manager of Nasa’s Transformational Tools and Technologies project

“New types of stronger and more lightweight materials play a key role as Nasa aims to change the future of flight. Previously, an increase in tensile strength usually lowered a material’s ability to stretch and bend before breaking, which is why our new alloy is remarkable.”

The new alloy’s composition was determined using computational models, before 3D printing technology allowed Nasa engineers to create a turbine engine combustor – a vital component found in rocket engines that serves as a fuel-air mixer.

“Applying these two processes has drastically accelerated the rate of our materials development. We can now produce new materials faster and with better performance than before,” said Tim Smith, a material research scientist at Nasa’s Glenn Research Center in Cleveland and one of the inventors of this new alloy."

https://news.yahoo.com/nasa-invents-revolutionary-material-1-083239433.html

"
Nasa scientists have invented a new metal alloy that is 1,000 times more durable than current state-of-the-art materials used in aviation and space exploration.

The US space agency believes that Alloy GRX-810 could revolutionise space travel, as it can withstand far harsher conditions than existing materials used within rocket engines.

The material has twice the strength, three-and-a-half times the flexibility and more than 1,000 times the durability under stress at high temperatures."
"
This breakthrough is revolutionary for materials development,” said Dale Hopkins, deputy project manager of Nasa’s Transformational Tools and Technologies project

“New types of stronger and more lightweight materials play a key role as Nasa aims to change the future of flight. Previously, an increase in tensile strength usually lowered a material’s ability to stretch and bend before breaking, which is why our new alloy is remarkable.”

The new alloy’s composition was determined using computational models, before 3D printing technology allowed Nasa engineers to create a turbine engine combustor – a vital component found in rocket engines that serves as a fuel-air mixer.

“Applying these two processes has drastically accelerated the rate of our materials development. We can now produce new materials faster and with better performance than before,” said Tim Smith, a material research scientist at Nasa’s Glenn Research Center in Cleveland and one of the inventors of this new alloy."

https://news.yahoo.com/nasa-invents-revolutionary-material-1-083239433.html
Durable I am not sure what that means here. Does that mean say a centimeter of it can take as much damage as a meter of steel?
This is good and an improvement but this won’t shield ships enough for the truly high speed we need

Probably will get phalanx like systems before shields imho

How many horsepower is that and can I slap it on my 96 Civic with a VTEC sticker ?

Back