Social National Parks facing massive crisis

cottagecheesefan

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Because they are not equitable and the nations is at a true existential crisis point.

too many white people go to national parks, and too much of the staff is white as well, which is creating a public health crisis

“A mostly white workforce, visitation threatens parks' survival and public health”

Advocates like Williams and Tariq say they hope the moment since George Floyd's death in police custody brings attention to systemic racism in the outdoors as well as other parts of society and translates into a long-term change in attitudes and behavior.

I didn't know blacks weren't allowed to go to national parks.........at any time its open........in our entire lifetime <{outtahere}>

the article doesn't cite any specific law or policy. Only real citation is that 23% of nationl park visitors at POC, where they are 42% of the population. However, I wonder how much that is just population distrubution vs urban and non-urban areas and proximity to a national park.

Yawn. As a whole, white people are generally more into nature/outdoor activities, and also tend to live in more rural places(i.e. where all of the parks located).

Yawn. As a whole, white people are generally more into nature/outdoor activities, and also tend to live in more rural places(i.e. where all of the parks located).

Pretty much this. There's exceptions to the rule but it has been my experience where I come from that black people don't really like to hunt kayak or camp. Infact I have seen on more than one occasion black dudes make jokes about not sleeping out side and not going where wild animals are. No one is telling them they can't can't it just seems to me they don't want to. I don't blame them...I love going up north but I hate sleeping in tents.

I call bullshit. Ive worked at parks before and there's plenty of 3rd world labor working for cheap. There's plenty of color.

I'm gonna blame Subaru for brain-washing me with those commercials. every time I see one I adopt another dog, slap one more "Coexist" bumper sticker on my Outback and head for the great outdoors

subaru%2Bcrosstrek.jpg

What is the problem?
from skimming the article, I think the main point is that if people of color (POC, non-white, I don't know terms to use anymore) don't go to these parks, in a few decades when POCs are the majority of our population then national parks will somehow be threatened. I guess if no one goes to them, regardless of skin tone), then we'll cut funding and there won't be trails and staff to help us visit the parks. or we sell land for private use?

seem as though ABC chose the phrase "existential crisis", which is a bit dramatic to me. the actual director of park service (who is Latino) just said "we have work to do"...

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics...ace-existential-crisis-race/story?id=71528972

So what I am reading is that now is the time for me to apply at the Franklin Mountains.

If we didn't have to work our lives away to afford basic needs then maybe we'd have time to visit some parks.

White Sands and the KOA we stayed at was dope.

Damn those Whites!

What kind of fucktard writes this shit? I'll bet that the author was one of those terrible Whites! Probably a Millennial. ABC News, what a joke. No wonder no one watches the networks anymore. They did this to themselves.

Back