News NCAA Division 1 champion and only man to beat Gable Steveson, Anthony Cassar, signs with Fury FC

Will Anthony Cassar make it to the UFC?

• Total voters

BoxerMaurits

The Dutchman
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Fury FC is known as a big feeder league to the UFC, it’s main job being to create stars on the regional level who’ll sign with the UFC if they do well.

Anthony Cassar is a NCAA Division 1 champion and holds two wins over Olympic wrestling gold medalist Gable Steveson (which are Steveson’s lone two losses).
High level stuff!

Cassar is 1-0 (1 sub.) in MMA and has now signed with Fury FC.
He’s set to make his promotional debut on October 22

This is a very good signing, a young, high level wrestler.

But to be honest, we've seen high level wrestlers. Only wrestlers that will get me hyped right now are only those wrestlers like Sadulaev, Sidakov, or Yasdani/Taylor.

Or Bilyal Makhov from way back, one of a kind, who is 6'5 monster, olympic gold medalist, three time freestyle world champion, and one silver and bronze in freestyle world championship AND two bronzes in Greco world championship.

For example, Cole Konrad was more accomplished heavyweight wrestler and a year younger than Cassar who is young himself when he signed with Bellator. And that was 13 years ago.

But a very good signing indeed.

I'm surprised he isn't aiming for the Olympics.

He was apprently trying to for 2020, then Covid happened.

I guess no one knows for sure why, but it sounds like he was planning to transition after that olympics, so maybe he just decided to go to MMA.

It took me forever to find this out, but wiki says that he placed sixth in the 2019 seniors.

https://www.flograppling.com/articles/6622664-senior-nationals-finals-are-set-for-sunday

The guy lost in the semis. Since he placed 6th, he likely lost more than once. My guess is that he wasn't good enough to make the team then or now. I know he apparently beat Gable when he was 19, but that was when he was 19.

I think for wrestlers, if you ARE good enough to go win the gold in wrestling, I don't think there's any sane one who won't go win that gold.

Gabe going to this year's worlds apparently. I'd think he's going to olympics next year if that's the case.

Hopefully. Dream or not his pro wrestling stint is not looking good at all atm.

Hopefully. Dream or not his pro wrestling stint is not looking good at all atm.

Good luck to the guy, but not necessarily a fan or anything.

If he does transition to MMA, def would make a compelling prospect, but I wanna see Sidakov or Sadulaev.

This is a very good signing, a young, high level wrestler.

But to be honest, we've seen high level wrestlers. Only wrestlers that will get me hyped right now are only those wrestlers like Sadulaev, Sidakov, or Yasdani/Taylor.

Or Bilyal Makhov from way back, one of a kind, who is 6'5 monster, olympic gold medalist, three time freestyle world champion, and one silver and bronze in freestyle world championship AND two bronzes in Greco world championship.

For example, Cole Konrad was more accomplished heavyweight wrestler and a year younger than Cassar who is young himself when he signed with Bellator. And that was 13 years ago.

But a very good signing indeed.
Cole Konrad retired in 2012 and is still under 40. If he stayed in Bellator, I think there's a chance he could still be an undefeated champ. Look how Kongo did in his 40s with far inferior wrestling. I think he could've done well if he eventually moved to the UFC, but don't think he'd be undefeated.

If there were ever a time for wrestlers to develop and do well at HW (and even LHW and MW) it's now. HW has been weak, aging and dominated by strikers, as seen in the recent Gane and Rozenstruik fights where fighters thought they could kickbox all the time and not worry about the ground.

is he going to fight at HW or LHW? it says he is 6 ft 2.. 237? I mean its not too short for HW...

at 27 years old with only 1 fight... he had better get a move on if he wants to be champion level before like... 32? he needs at least 10 fights so like 2 a year thats 5 years unless he can get like 4 guys lined up in a row.

is he going to fight at HW or LHW? it says he is 6 ft 2.. 237? I mean its not too short for HW...

at 27 years old with only 1 fight... he had better get a move on if he wants to be champion level before like... 32? he needs at least 10 fights so like 2 a year thats 5 years unless he can get like 4 guys lined up in a row.

People fighting on the regional circuit don't fight twice per year. Many fight 4 or 5 times per year.

I know I know it's usually harder to get legit guys fights though

Remember Cain?

...Remember what about Cain? He fought twice in three months, and then the UFC signed him. Hardly relative to what you were claiming.

Back