Television Netflix - 3 Body Problem

Caught a few episodes and thought maybe this is a bit corny w Genghis Khan and levitating people but man it started getting a lot better as it went along

To me this was like season 8 GOT all over but different book series. Casting awful (except for Eiza always want more Eiza) , acting wooden, story convoluted . The China version was much much much better and for me to say that is something considering how I detest subtitles.

Just read the episode synopsis on wiki.

Man, totally different and shallow representation from the books.

I would suggest everyone stop watching and read the books if they are intrigued by the story.

So I'm like 13 episodes into the Chinese series and it's solid but very very slow. Then I realized that the 30 episodes are just book 1 and not all three books. But worst of all, that they haven't shot and released books 2 and 3.

So now it seems like the best course of action is just getting the books.

Is there a particular translation (english) you'd recommend?

To me this was like season 8 GOT all over but different book series. Casting awful (except for Eiza always want more Eiza) , acting wooden, story convoluted . The China version was much much much better and for me to say that is something considering how I detest subtitles.

I'd be acting wooden around Eiza too.

Just read the episode synopsis on wiki.

Man, totally different and shallow representation from the books.

I would suggest everyone stop watching and read the books if they are intrigued by the story.

Nah, I would suggest the non-book readers to finish watching the show and then read the books to see the changes. Both can be enjoyable in their own media.

I love the books, who did they leave out

They left out Lou Ji (and Wang Miao) - both of the main characters from the first two books…

Wang I guess is forgivable since they dropped him from the books without saying anything (which was irritating tbh) but Lou Ji is the best character they had and he’s just been erased. Also no Diaz which is annoying, I enjoyed his arc

Last edited:
They left out Lou Ji (and Wang Miao) - both of the main characters from the first two books…

Wang I guess is forgivable since they dropped him from the books without saying anything (I guess) but Lou Ji is the best character they had and he’s just been erased. Also no Diaz which is annoying, I enjoyed his arc
Luo Ji and his story are central to the whole book. How the hell do you just leave him out? he's the fucking swordholder and is around up until almost the very end.
it's just dumb. super dumb.

Wang I guess is forgivable since they dropped him from the books without saying anything (I guess) but Lou Ji is the best character they had and he’s just been erased. Also no Diaz which is annoying, I enjoyed his arc
Weak. Lou was a great character along with Diaz.

Looking at the episode synopsis they crammed in a lot of all three books into one season and took out all the character development.

I don't think they left out Luo Ji, they just recast his character into Saul. The meeting with Ye Wenjie was a dead giveaway. I thought that was one of the cooler moments in the show. Wang Miao in the books, imo, wasn't that interesting of a character. To me it seemed like he was there just move the story along. Diaz was cool but I was more of a fan of Hines storyline as it gave us one of the best twists of the series. And, the Mental-Seal was a cool idea.

I'm not a fan of the trajectory of the shows Wallfacer story lines, yet. General Hou (a military historian) and Professor Leila Aric (a solider fighting ISIS) both lend to the military ideas (Swarm + Nuke). I doubt we'll see the mental-seal make an appearance.

I don't think they left out Luo Ji, they just recast his character into Saul. The meeting with Ye Wenjie was a dead giveaway. I thought that was one of the cooler moments in the show. Wang Miao in the books, imo, wasn't that interesting of a character. To me it seemed like he was there just move the story along. Diaz was cool but I was more of a fan of Hines storyline as it gave us one of the best twists of the series. And, the Mental-Seal was a cool idea.

I'm not a fan of the trajectory of the shows Wallfacer story lines, yet. General Hou (a military historian) and Professor Leila Aric (a solider fighting ISIS) both lend to the military ideas (Swarm + Nuke). I doubt we'll see the mental-seal make an appearance.
The mental seal led to one of the best characters and arch’s in the whole story

Book 3 is all the wild crazy shit - that will require an insane GOT level budget . DnD I dont trust to pull it off at all kine it should be. I really wasn't impressed with this,series . It's a great concept and interesting but the cast is awful n it's all over the place.

Recasting him into a different character is leaving him out imo.

It’s like if you make Harry Potter and then say “well Harry Potter isn’t in it, but don’t worry we made a new character who is similar and sort of follows his trajectory” - like what the hell?

I'm sure the books are good and all but nobody can seriously watch this show and Jack their little pickle to how good it is

Feels like gaslighting

Recasting him into a different character is leaving him out imo.

It’s like if you make Harry Potter and then say “well Harry Potter isn’t in it, but don’t worry we made a new character who is similar and sort of follows his trajectory” - like what the hell?
Of course people would freak out if Harry Potter was reimagined, it’s a multi-billion dollar franchise. He’s a house hold name. Also, the narrative is built around the character and changing him would fundamentally change that narrative. The same can’t be said for Luo Ji. He’s a character to advance the story. And to be honest, he wasn’t very likable until the last 100 or so pages of The Dark Forest.

I get where you’re coming from though. You want a face to put to a name. Personally, I’m not bothered by it.

Of course people would freak out if Harry Potter was reimagined, it’s a multi-billion dollar franchise. He’s a house hold name. Also, the narrative is built around the character and changing him would fundamentally change that narrative. The same can’t be said for Luo Ji. He’s a character to advance the story. And to be honest, he wasn’t very likable until the last 100 or so pages of The Dark Forest.

I get where you’re coming from though. You want a face to put to a name. Personally, I’m not bothered by it.

It’s like being told you’re at a concert to see Bruce Springsteen and instead you get a cover band. It’s ridiculous imo. I can’t help but be bothered by it. A good friend of mine who also read the books and watches the show also doesn’t seem to mind, I just don’t get it.

All the characters in the story advance the plot, but his personal journey being what it is set the stage for the whole perspective of the book. The way the reader arrives in the future is felt through Lou’s his family and his motives, it’s all him. The way the book ends, the “spell” he casts, it’s all about him. Leaving him out or unnecessarily reimagining him into a totally different person is infuriating

Back